• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Kagebunji's sprites- Moving on...

Started by Kagebunji, August 04, 2009, 02:29:37 pm

Kagebunji

Whoa, colors are screwed as hell, I will do mine own version, I will just extend the armor customly, similiar to what you did. Tell me though, how you messed up the palette so badly Jon, hehe?

Edit: And here it is, I managed to stay within the limit somehow, thanks for ideas Jon.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Jon

No problem. I can do many things very quickly, like the armor, but the colors will multiply as quickly. From 16 to 256 in one click in fact. I could have easily gotten them down to 16, but I was getting lazy. 20 colors ain't that bad to work with, eh? Glad you liked the idea though (yours looks almost identical to mine except for the color reduction). :mrgreen:
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Kagebunji

Yeah, mine isn't that different, I mainly concentrated on shading(you shaded the neck the wrong way, light source is on the left, not right, lol), I was looking at your port and drawing my own, and adjusting when needed. I am ashamed that I didn't think of extending it customly sooner, well Mav taught me to neer do too much work by custom, heh.

Jon

Shoot! I forgot about the shading, thats true. You did a great job, now all that you have to do (if you want) is change the colors to match the sprite, but honestly you don't even need to do that. He could be wearing a leather-shirt type armor under the whitish armor. Do you want his skin to be more like the sprites or a bit tanned like Rafa and Malak? Either way this sprite is sure going to be cool ;)

Kagebunji

I tried making his skin brighter, but I disliked the result, so I decided to leave him like this, more dark-skinned persons like Malak are rare in FFT. I won't change the colors unfortunatly, since I am at 16 already, maybe Mav will be able to think of something, he is good at color reduction, while I am only half as good as him.

And small note:half of the sheet is already completed, I also changed the hair shading, since it was very outlined in-game, and some slight changes overall to improve in-game performance. I can post screenies for those interested.

Screenies time!

Outlined
[attachment=0:33efotlb]outlined.png[/attachment:33efotlb]

Not outlined
[attachment=1:33efotlb]not outlined.png[/attachment:33efotlb]

Jon

Yeah, imo not outlined looks better. I noticed one or two brownish red pixels on his armor, might want to correct that. Very nice :D

Lijj

Not outlined.. I agree.. Looking good Kage
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Hm? I will take a closer look about those brown pixels, it is probably just a shade from arm, it is supposed to be there, but I will check allright. I suppose I can insert the port now, or should I fix something with it before?

mav

The portrait looks pretty dang good, only the skin tone doesn't match the sprite and you need to fix the hair near his left eye. The way it dodges his eye looks unnatural.

Zozma

that portrait looks like it was made for el cid or whatever his name was?
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kagebunji

@Mav: I would be glad if you could try chaning the skin tone, I tried to make it lighter before, but it looked strange. I see what you mean about the hair, will fix it.

@Zozma: Al Cid, yeah there was this japanese one floating around, so I took and changed it.

Zozma

I like the japanese portrait for Sidney as well, but i think it could be used for a Viers portrait lol my favorite character from disgaea
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kagebunji

Quote from: "Zozma"but i think it could be used for a Viers portrait lol my favorite character from disgaea

Mine too! I have one frame of Vyers, here it is:

It's old and creepy though, if i ever will try to do him again, I will create a new one instead.

And I fixed the hair issue on port.

mav

You didn't exactly fix the part I was mentioning--you see the strand extending to right above where his nose would be? That's what needs to be fixed.

Jon

Yeah, the one that runs across the face has 2 black pixels, they should definitely be darkest brown. Should probably fall more straight as well, like Mav said.

Kagebunji

Uh, I honestly have no idea, but I will look closely. Two black pixels you say, I will look for them.

Jon

But Kage, dude the hair is going a bit against gravity as well...shouldn't it be a bit more down flowing? Up to you though, FF is filled with these anti-gravity hairstyles *coughCLOUDcough*, maybe they just use gel / hairspray / mousse?

Kagebunji

Lol, Cloud is the best example of an anti-gravity hair, hehe. Can someone show me where exactly it is?(best by editing thyself)

Jon

The last one is just an example, it is horribly pixalated thanks to the rotation tool. The middle one has no more black pixels on the long strand of hair covering his face. This is just an idea.

Xifanie

Quote from: "Kagebunji"Lol, Cloud is the best example of an anti-gravity hair, hehe. Can someone show me where exactly it is?(best by editing thyself)
DENIED

• Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful