• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:29 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Fully lit Deep Dungeon!

Started by Nyzer, June 30, 2020, 11:18:38 pm

Nyzer

June 30, 2020, 11:18:38 pm Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 01:27:58 am by Nyzer
Jan 08, 2024: Thanks to recent fixes, the combined efforts of Xifanie, Pride, Talcall, and MrGudenheim have produced a thorough fix to the Deep Dungeon map light! Using the .xml files provided, you can set each map to a custom light level that it will start at, and permanently stay at, regardless of crystals or whether the map was changed mid-event. These fixes also successfully light up the units on the field. This makes these .xml fixes superior to both old methods, as the GNS file fixes could have the light flicker out, and the mesh file fixes left the units darkened. Still, for the sake of archival, I've left both old versions of the fixes, and the information this topic used to provide, in this post.

But for all current conceivable uses of the fix, use one of the provided .xmls, not the .zip or .rar files.

I've attached a .rar archive of all the fixed Deep Dungeon .GNS files. Open your ISO in CDMage, go to the MAP section, and import these files over the existing .GNS files. After that, all your Deep Dungeon maps will start fully lit, and stay that way. Unless you ChangeMap to them with event commands, anyway.

Also, Pride set up an XML to do this via OrgASM down below, which ought to be quicker and easier than importing each individual GNS file in CDMage.

Note that this fix is still vulnerable to the issue of dealing with the lights going out when a unit crystallizes. There's a different set of mesh edits to the maps, which is used by Arena and Battleground. While this leaves the units darkened out, it doesn't have to deal with the crystallization issue. So, pick your poison.

Combining them doesn't seem to produce any novel results. It just leads to the Mesh fix outcome.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

Turns out there was a problem with MAP112.GNS. As it was, it glitched out and added a second level to every tile in TIGER high above the camera, with multiple of those tiles crashing the emulator. Managed to pin down the issue and have uploaded a new set of .rar files with the fixed 112 in it.

Paulo

I found a small bug, every time a unit turns into a crystal, the map goes dark again. Is there any way to resolve this?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Nyzer

That really shouldn't be happening, since the fixes Xifanie talked me through worked for Arena back in the day from what I understand, but, also, said fixes involve making every map state use the same set of data. Also, I'm fairly certain I tested these fixes.

However, these fixes were meant to be used in non-DD circumstances. If you're just plopping these maps into the game to use as regular DD maps, it wouldn't surprise me if, say, the coding to switch states depending on crystal presence is ignoring the fixes.

Pride

I took the opportunity to make a xml to do this without having to upload each gns file.  Faster and easier. Apply with FFTorgASM like most xml files.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

3lric

Quote from: Pride on May 07, 2021, 02:02:03 pmI took the opportunity to make a xml to do this without having to upload each gns file.  Faster and easier. Apply with FFTorgASM like most xml files.

what a bro

illithidbane

I'm pretty new to the modding scene. Is there a way to convert that XML to work for the PSP WotL version instead of the PSX FFT version?

mrgudenheim

January 05, 2024, 08:48:13 pm #7 Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 10:59:24 am by mrgudenheim
I updated Pride's xml to fix the glitch/crash that can occur in TIGER (MAP112) and posted in discord. Crystals still cause the lighting to reset. I tested in deep dungeon in FFT:TLW. The change was to add
<Location file="MAP_MAP112_GNS" offset="35" mode="DATA"> 18 </Location>
There is also a fix from Talcall to stop the map from updating when a crystal is dropped
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="00070d84" mode="ASM" offsetMode="RAM">
        ori r2, r0, 0x00 # make it so the map can't update when a crystal is laid
</Location>