• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:11:25 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

ENTD causing sprites to break

Started by EzRemake, December 14, 2012, 12:18:26 am

EzRemake

I've done some searching, and after going through 4 pages, I've decided to just make a thread.

I want to go through the vanilla story battles, and change one or two enemy units to different classes, but when I do this one of my party members has their sprite broken during the fight.

Am I wrong in just changing the job of certain enemies in the ENTD?

Celdia

The game can only handle 9 different sprites at one time. If you're adding more jobs to the enemy side then you're likely breaking the Rule of Nine between Ramza, Guests and other ally units which have to each account for one of the nine since they can all be unique at any given time. That battle there has Ramza, Agrias, Mustadio and I think 3 generic slots? So that's 6, which means you can't have more than 3 different jobs/genders on the enemy side.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

RavenOfRazgriz

Correct.

Rule of Thumb:

If a battle includes 0 Guests, you may have 4 unique Enemy Sprites.
If a battle includes 1 or more Guests, you may have 3 unique Enemy Sprites.

Males and females of the same Job (eg, Male and Female Wizards) are obviously different Enemy Sprites.

So, another good rule of thumb is to make sure all enemies of a certain Job are the same Gender (probably the one that favors your Job) to optimize the amount of variety you can add to your battles, and to get creative with Secondary Skillsets and equipment combinations when you can.  If you wanted a battle with an Archer w/ Battle Skill, a Knight, a Wizard, a Priest, and a Monk, using an Equip Crossbow Knight can do the same thing as that Archer and use 1 less Sprite, for example.

EzRemake

Ah I see, I wasn't aware there was such a rule.

Thanks guys!

Jumza

I vaguely remember there being a hack to make the max 12 sprites... Could just be my imagination though.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.