• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:32:43 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT TLW g edition 1.05

Started by mrgudenheim, January 07, 2024, 10:14:44 am

mrgudenheim

January 07, 2024, 10:14:44 am Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 10:10:04 pm by mrgudenheim Reason: updates to expjp xml collection used for v1.06
FFT:TLW g edition 1.05 (PSX Mod)

Changelog
1.0 - bugged and could not progress past 2nd battle (Gariland)
1.01 - Rebuilt following best practices. Significant bugs still present.
1.02 - Rebuilt using qol and job extension hack versions from TLW remixed. Tested through Chapter 2 Dorter battle.
1.03 - Modified experience hacks. Units will get exp and jp even if they are dead or petrified at end of battle. Uploaded experience hack collection. Probably bugs lurking due to one hack writing at the incorrect location.
1.03.1 - Slightly lowered the base jp gain per enemy from 24 to 20. Tested through beginning of Chapter 2. Probably bugs lurking due to one hack writing at the incorrect location.
1.04 - fixed hack that lets dead/petrify units gain exp/jp.
1.05 - exp and jp will be gained per enemy at end of battle, regardless of their status. Previous versions only gave exp/jp per KOed enemy.
1.06 - 1) Fixed bug that dead units would not gain jp (fix was by overwriting checks in Store JP routine). 2) Exp and jp awarded at end of battle is now awarded 5 times, independent of number of enemies. Many battles have five or 6 enemies, so this mostly makes a difference for the single zodiac demon battles.

BUGS

My goal for this mod are the following:
- Provide a mod I would recommend to my brothers who only played the vanilla game 20+ years ago. Like many other mods, the goal is basically "vanilla but better".
- Avoid significant balance changes to retain the "vanilla" feel and keep the battle mechanics guide (BMG) mostly applicable.
Some of the changes below don't strictly follow the above, but I think they improve the experience enough they are worth including.

It's based on FFT:TLW 2.031 with the following modifications:
- Fix for short name glitch in balthier event - https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=13075.msg232720#msg232720
- Ashley Riot battle won't trigger. The world conditional checks if story progression equals 01, but story progression will always be greater than 01 when entering zeklaus - I think this fight could cause frustration for my brothers due to the difficulty. Combined with it not being optional and not being in vanilla I'm choosing to disable it from the mod.
- Deep dungeon events auto unlock the next floor when winning the battle (events attached)
- Deep dungeon levels are permanently dimly lit (based on updated version of Pride's xml - https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12268.msg226249#msg226249, https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12525.0)
- Exp/jp gained after battle. Exp and jp gained are not dependent on successful actions (Based on Glain's xml) - This is a significant departure from vanilla, but I feel the vanilla exp/jp gain system is one of the biggest flaws of the vanilla game.
EXP amount = 5 * {18 + [4 * (RamzaLevel - UnitLevel)]}
JP amount = 5 * {(Job Lv * 2) + [(Unit's Level / 4) + 20]}
- Learn on Hit applies to any unlocked job (Glain's xml)
- Quality of life changes 1.14 including the 1.14e cancel movement - https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12769.0
- Used Razele's "Broken / stolen items can be bought back at Fur Shop" instead of "extended warranty". When I tried using qol 1.14 "extended warranty" I experienced a bug causing black screen when entering battles.

To do: Figure out if I can incorporate the following from TLW Remix (https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=13119.0)
- Preparation Menu, allowing you access to a wide variety of options before a battle begins. No more will you be stuck just randomly guessing what you might want to send out on the field before even seeing it.
- Game Over recovery, allowing you to immediately retry the battle or even return to the world map (provided you aren't in the middle of a battle sequence).
- Dark Knight (F) and Bard have been swapped around. This should now cause Dark Knight JP to spill over with other Dark Knights, and Bards with Dancers, rather than the mix we had before.
- Guests have been brought back, at least for a first playthrough. They should remain as battle-only Guests in New Game Plus.
- When Mustadio, Agrias, and Ovelia are temporarily unavailable during Chapter 2, as well as Rafa during Chapter 3, they're flagged Missing instead of being removed from the Roster. Upon reappearing, they use the stats and equipment they had saved in battle. (Sadly, Ovelia is then removed for good at the end of Chapter 2.)
- Alma joins the party after the final battle against Altima. Once she joins, she automatically learns Ultima 2 and All-Ultima. Ramza still has to pay to learn these skills in the Depths of Murond New Game Plus menu. Like Ramza, she has both Male PA and Female MA, and cannot abandon the party due to low Brave or high Faith.
- Several maps/events that didn't have Move-Find Item options now do. Mostly because of the Reveal Treasures option in the Preparation Menu. Battles which don't let you deploy units now have at least one controllable unit with Move-Find Item. The player's inventory will no longer be reset after the Orbonne Monastery prologue battle, allowing the items there to be retained for Chapter 1.
- You can skip the Wiegraf fight and get straight to Velius.
- Any unit can flip the switches at Bethla, not just Ramza.
- New version of the Roster Hack which allows the return of Guests during the first playthrough. Slots 18, 19, and 20 start out reserved for Guests, decreasing as the game goes on and fewer slots are needed. Units can also be flagged as Guests without NEEDING to be in the Guest-designated slots, allowing Beowulf and Reis to be flagged accordingly during their sidequests as needed. The Load Formation functionality is now ignored if units aren't in the Roster, rather than loading junk data. The Bench Hack ignores Guests and can't be used to fill the slots designated for Guests until they're no longer reserved for them. Guests can be freely deployed in battles they aren't already reserved for - meaning you can bring units like Alma and Ovelia along to battles as long as they're still in the party.
- A customized version of the Permadeath Terminator has been included, which can be toggled on or off. When active, once a unit's timer runs out, it becomes unrevivable, but does not turn into treasure or a crystal. It is currently enabled for all Rendezvous battles, meaning that you can't permanently lose units during those battles.
- Scene skipping: for non-battle events, hold Start at the beginning of the scene, after a camera movement, or as a dialogue box is finished in order to instantly skip the scene. In order to better facilitate this change, Start now also works as a text advancement button, the same as O, X, or Select.
- Missing units can have their equipment and skills changed, preventing any of them from locking their gear away from others - or being unable to have their gear reset before returning for a future battle.

Dream wishlist for future (these are unlikely to ever happen):
- Streamline the sidequests. My brothers are unlikely to look up guides or move around to every city or read rumors, so it would be nice if the cutscenes/events auto triggered regardless of location and map battles displayed red when they become available.
- Let crystals in deep dungeon increase light, but never have the light decrease to zero. Edit event to have Elidibs set light to zero part way through battle.
- Make Ashely Riot battle optional. Maybe triggered through a rumor.

Thank you to the FFHacktics community for helping me in discord. The ppf should be applied over a vanilla iso.

I have not tested a full playthrough yet of the complete mod.
  • Modding version: PSX

Ramza323

tested on duck station --  after the second battle ( the first battle as a cadet in the town) after winning and got the rewards, the screen keep faded and nothing else, :/

mrgudenheim

Quote from: Ramza323 on January 09, 2024, 10:08:53 amscreen keep faded and nothing else
Does this mean the screen was black? Do you know if it was completely frozen or if any audio/animations kept playing?
I tested v1.01 past this point without issue.