• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 12:20:58 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Hahaha, I knew it.

Started by DaveSW, September 07, 2011, 08:29:46 am

DaveSW

It's official, FF13-2 will be even worse than the original.
Two words:
Time Travel.

If time travel isn't a part of the story to begin with, then it is ALWAYS jumping the shark.  So yeah...
I am awesome.

Kaijyuu

I dunno; Duck Tales did time travel pretty well without jumping the shark.

(not to say FF13-2 won't suck, of course)
  • Modding version: PSX

Dome

Chrono trigger has a lot of time travel, but the game is still great

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Kaijyuu

Quote from: DaveSW on September 07, 2011, 08:29:46 amIf time travel isn't a part of the story to begin with,

I made the same mistake, but yeah.

Okay, story without time travel in its premise, that added it later, and didn't suck... I got nutin'.

RandMuadDib

stargate didnt start with time travel, but then there were a few episodes that had time travel, and they tended to be some of the better episodes.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

dinosaur

Time Travel rocks!

Imagine the beautiful scenery the game could make :D

Celdia

By that argument, doesn't that mean FF1 was already jumping the shark? Seemingly random time travel is a staple of the series.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Kaijyuu

Oooh, I got a good one:

MOTHER/Earthbound.

MOTHER 1 = no time travel.
MOTHER 2/Earthbound = time travel.

Admittedly it doesn't really make sense how it works (even as a kid I was like, what), but it's pretty ignorable.

DaveSW

Yeah, the ending to FF1 was random and silly.  Mind, the entire plot of the first FF was barely there, so it didn't really matter.  FF8 was the first FF to really deal with time travel in a more serious fashion, and as much of travesty as that game's plot is, the time travel Laguna flashbacks were done fairly well.

Injecting time travel to a fantasy setting that has already established the 'rules' of the universe is just poor writing.  Stargate, along with Star Trek had a universe that was almost entirely undiscovered, that almost everything was still a great big unknown.  Finding time travel, just as finding FTL traveling ships wasn't jumping shark, as the premise was that anything could happen, because almost everything was unknown.

Also, the FF series as a whole cannot jump the shark, considering that none of the games really have anything to with each other.  FF13-2 is more than capable of jumping the shark however, as it is a direct sequel to FF13.
I am awesome.

Celdia

Quote from: DaveSW on September 08, 2011, 02:43:51 am
Also, the FF series as a whole cannot jump the shark, considering that none of the games really have anything to with each other.  FF13-2 is more than capable of jumping the shark however, as it is a direct sequel to FF13.

Fair point.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

RandMuadDib

On the other hand, the phrase jumping the shark has misplaced negative connotations. Happy Daze's ratings went up after Fonzi jumped the shark. So while its silly and out of character, jumping the shark could be exactly what FF13 needs. I'm refraining from making judgements on FF13-2 until i've played it. I like some of the announced changes, and disapprove of others.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

DaveSW

Quality is not the same as increasing viewers/sales.
More people watched the Fonz jump the shark, but the show was worse off for it.
I am awesome.