• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 03:37:16 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Lady Frimelda

Started by Zozma, May 26, 2010, 07:55:29 pm

Zozma

but will the sprite get done.... lol...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

SilvasRuin

I see lots of black shading in those examples provided.  lol

jimmyjw88

Yeah. R999 selected Rafa which don't have black shadings but Smash's examples all have black shadings. I guess it all depends on the point of view of each and everyone themselves.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Zozma

pointless bickering, im going back to working on my patch now... sigh

GeneralStrife

Quote from: "Zozma"pointless bickering, im going back to working on my patch now... sigh

R999

June 13, 2010, 01:47:14 am #65 Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:19:39 am by R999
@Smash: I don't see how the hair is "pixelated". The Hair highlighting examples that you have given mostly have very bright hair color, with the exception of a few like Delita. For hair color such as the given portrait, I really do think that they are unnecessary (yes, highlights often bring out the hair better, it may look better, but it's not anymore representative of the character in my view). It's not like the original portrait didn't have highlights to begin with (it was fair to me). I already commended that you did a good job on the hair, so I'll leave it at that.

Now, as for the shading...  what do you mean by flat? Honestly, I can't say I am not disappointed this time. Seems like you missed the point,

Primary Light Source

Secondary Light Source

^ Reflection from White Clothing.

Oh, and these are your own examples, I just picked the ones with secondary light sources (aka White Clothing). It's not a color palette problem, either.

Anyway, take what you will from this. I don't intend to start an argument. But if that is what you want to make out of it, then that just leaves me with disappointment. You above all have created sprite work that is exceptional in this community, and they are which the people in this forum judge upon -- so it is important that your work reflects that.

jimmyjw88

Well, I see what you mean about the white reflection, so I won't question anymore about that. Though, I still feel the highlight makes it better. But the hair does look pixelated in the original.

EDIT: Let's just end this argument here and focus on the sprite, shall we?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kagebunji

I give up, FINISH THE SPRITE DAMMIT!! :D

Anyone who will want Smash's or Japaneese portrait will just export BMP and replace it. So let us stop arguing and let us work in peace.

LastingDawn

Argument? He was more or less playing to jest the casual pointlessness, as can be told by the supporting sounding tone of the post. It is in no way marring to him to defend his own work. Personally I like his better. The shortened eyes, makes her look more melancholy, the Japanese did an incredible job with making the portrait in the first place, but I personally did confuse the portrait as Doned from FFTA at first because of the very masculine appearance, though what he did was make it clear that she is female, and there's a story to tell. I believe only by the "picture's worth a 1000 words" his is better.

Though of course, you're project, choose as you will.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Zaen

Well, just look at the St. Ajora portrait. It has that EXACT same shading under the neck as Smash's portrait.

I'm still not seeing your point as it's still in the style. Also, from the distance between the frill and her chin, the shading makes sense to be darker, as less sunlight is hitting it from the angle.

On a /note, the hair in the original looks like crap compared to Smash's. It lacks the detail you find in FFT portraits.

Edit: Also, the first portrait does look kind of like a male portrait. Maybe an older boy, not yet adult.
"Oh, God!! The Hokuten!!" ~Guard, Sand Rat Cellar

jimmyjw88

@sir LD - Sorry, said wrongly. I know they both are defending.

Zozma

well, i honestly thought Doned was a girl too, they have a way of making some of these characters look feminine, i never assumed the portrait was of a guy in the first place, rather i assumed several of their guy portraits were female. at any rate everyone has a choice which one they use, just remember who you're getting an actual sprite from tho

jimmyjw88

Just import either of the portraits yourselves whichever you prefer. Now, let's get back to the sprite.

Smash

I think all of this can be rounded down to nitpicking, and not to mention all of his statements are pretty much arguable.  

I thought I said this before.. Do whatever you want. After all, I did it to lend a hand.

Quote@Smash: I don't see how the hair is "pixelated". The Hair highlighting examples that you have given mostly have very bright hair color, with the exception of a few like Delita. For hair color such as the given portrait, I really do think that they are unnecessary (yes, highlights often bring out the hair better, it may look better, but it's not anymore representative of the character in my view). It's not like the original portrait didn't have highlights to begin with (it was fair to me). I already commended that you did a good job on the hair, so I'll leave it at that.

The original seemed to try and make gradient transitions on the hair, making it look "flat" and with a similar aspect to clay. Thus, like in the artwork, Frimelda's hair needed a texture more like Alma's (when Ajora).

QuoteNow, as for the shading...  what do you mean by flat? Honestly, I can't say I am not disappointed this time. Seems like you missed the point,

See above.. Flat as in without the correct hair texture.

QuotePrimary Light Source

Secondary Light Source

^ Reflection from White Clothing.

Oh, and these are your own examples, I just picked the ones with secondary light sources (aka White Clothing). It's not a color palette problem, either.

Hmm. You could have a point, but a very weak one. Im saying it because of the small pixel clusters in Aeris. The other two have white hair paired with white clothes, so the shadows couldn't be "black", or else the contrast would be too much. (And there's black still on Ajora!)

QuoteAnyway, take what you will from this. I don't intend to start an argument. But if that is what you want to make out of it, then that just leaves me with disappointment. You above all have created sprite work that is exceptional in this community, and they are which the people in this forum judge upon -- so it is important that your work reflects that.

In my opinion, you're being too technical on this. As always, thanks for the crit!

Asmo X

We went over this in channel. The Funeral doesn't have any reflected light. Nor does the Zalera portrait you removed or the Flower Girl. The Ajora one probably does but all this proves is that you can go either way. The source image is from a completely unrelated piece of concept art and thus means Jack and Shit. Let's put this dumbassery to bed.

Zozma

Zozma

sigh, with R999 gone someones gotta try to pick this up, im hoping that the concept sprites for "that" project are still available somewhere as i liked the new agrias sprite and the zorine sprite

Kagebunji

I should save the bmp when R showed me it on chat, damn, it was pretty much completed. I will talk with Twinees, it may still be at dropbox.

Zozma

i think r999 can still be contacted right? ill finish it myself it i can get ahold of it...

Twinees

there u go guys. 1 frame... but the arms and legs need no modification, because it was based on female squire.
(im surprised i found this...)
  • Modding version: PSX