• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:54:00 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Grim Grimoire (Latest version: Beta 0.993)

Started by Eternal, June 23, 2013, 07:50:32 pm

bcrobert

Quote from: Kensai on August 24, 2015, 08:14:34 am
So, red soldier cast nurse on enemy thief. Thief gets heal and regen and then counters soldier. Nice move, thief.

Thief: I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP!
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Kensai

Reason why Swallowtail overpowered and Air Render useless now.
https://yadi.sk/i/qHWaO4HoiedDo

Before "Sensor"
https://yadi.sk/d/2U5ZkTZ8iecvn

After "Sensor"
https://yadi.sk/i/Zt1nAXVOied2Q

Solder has some buff with hourglass from Warrior (Sprohmknigths)

BTW what do you think about AOE 1 decrease power as soldier mid level skill?

rrs_kai

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Kensai

Quote from: rrs_kai on August 25, 2015, 12:54:56 pm
OMG!! Swallowtail has and AOE of 3? :shock:

AIO says Swallowtail is Vertical AOE 2 and Horizontal AOE 13  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Scream (Self berserk) is useless, because you can't heal or buff yourself, so potion>scream
How about to make moogle receive double wield much sooner than hume, but restrict this race or skill to knives only (but only for moogle, hume kept original)? They are small after all.

bcrobert

Scream does have potential regardless.

In FFTA one of my play-tests involved an ability that inflicted Self: Berserk and then applied buffs IF the berserk effect succeeded after the equipment check.

It was like Berserk+Haste+AttackUp+CriticalUp...and it turned the Soldier into a walking berserker time bomb. :D

FFTA2 has even more buffs iirc so I'm sure there's a combination that fits well for Scream.

EDIT. I forgot this is the GG1 topic. I'm getting the FFTA and FFTA2 threads mixed up. T_T

Eternal

Kensai, welcome to FFH, and thanks for playing! Allow me to respond to your feedback, and I hope it clears things up:

First Aid is actually only a few points weaker than Cure, but is based on Physical Attack and is free, and cures debuffs on the user, making it useful in different situations from Cure. It's not meant to be an amazing ability, since it's one of the first ones you get. That being said, it's still really good early-game and in situations where you need to top off your health.

To clarify, the 13 AoE you see is the game's way of saying "summon AoE", basically, 2 AoE instead of 1 or single-target. This was to put it on par with Whirlwind and other around-self skills that had an AoE boost. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble setting them back to default. Even when I set everything back to how it was in Vanilla, they still act strangely.

Magicbreak is meant to be used to cripple mages while you go after other units. If you can't flat out kill the mage, making it unable to cast spells (or at least, as many of them/the stronger ones) is a viable option. The Breaks are all weapon range and work great with Bows, for the record.

Thesis Hunt has always been a weird mission to balance. No matter what changes I make to it, it always comes out ridiculously hard or ridiculously easy. I've never been truly happy with it, but I'm getting there! The one Thief did lose Counter and Maintenance, and the other had Counter replaced with Arrow Guard. I noticed, however, that he didn't have any actual Thief skills. He can now steal your gear, but I'll see during testing how that plays out. Nurse is staying, namely because I don't feel it makes the battle much different one way or another.

I'm aware of the bug with the stat down skills, though I'm not sure why it's happening or how to fix it. Darth looked at the ROM ages ago and saw that it should be working perfectly, so I don't really have an answer on that just yet.

The hourglass buff on the Soldier was like the result of the Fighter in that fight using Cheer, which Adds: Boost onto an allied unit to increase their strength. (Think Helping Hand from the Pokemon series.)

In regards to Scream, it's getting buffed in the near future, I'm just not sure what I'm going to do with it. Fret not, it's on my list! :)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kensai

Thanks for the answer!!

1. First Aid. Actually, the way it is (and was), First Aid is useless in comparison witn Item:Potion.
If you can give potion to drink to teammate (AOE 1), why you can't aid them? It's not a specific skill like Boost or Chakra, to not be able to. And AOE 1 won't make it overpowered and such. Of course it's for you to decide.
QuoteThat being said, it's still really good early-game

Actually no, item:potion is useful than this skill.

2. Well that's sad. Maybe some part from another code (after hacking another class for example) is messing with variable? Hope you find a solution!

3.Magicbreak.
My point is then enemy wizard has mp regen often the best solution is to punch him to kill him on next turn, than you deplete his mana, wizard regens it and cast another spell at you.
And if enemy has manashield then this skill is simply useless.
My point is, if magicbreak get's damage bonus (50% of simple attack) it becomes a great tactical option, useful anti-mage skill.
Even an enemy with manashield loses his mana and get hit.

Yes, I know that soldier skills work great with bows (and even greater with dual wield in fft), it's just sad for me to realize that the way it is, soldier class is just a way to get other classes, not a great tactical job on his own. You only need a 3 soldier skills maximum to unlock warrior, so why not make other 5 skills better? (but I haven't played whole game to the end, so maybe I'm wrong )

QuoteThesis Hunt has always been a weird mission to balance. No matter what changes I make to it, it always comes out ridiculously hard or ridiculously easy. I've never been truly happy with it, but I'm getting there! The one Thief did lose Counter and Maintenance, and the other had Counter replaced with Arrow Guard. I noticed, however, that he didn't have any actual Thief skills. He can now steal your gear, but I'll see during testing how that plays out. Nurse is staying, namely because I don't feel it makes the battle much different one way or another.

Well, speaking for myself that was my first mission, and that was quite difficult, if I haven't got Whirlwind and Swallowtail that will be insane to complete.
In my opinion, what makes it harder is that almost everyone in enemy team has aid, cure, or even nurse with auto-regen. So you hit them them with all you got and then it's their turn and voila! - full hp.

QuoteIn regards to Scream, it's getting buffed in the near future, I'm just not sure what I'm going to do with it. Fret not, it's on my list! :)

I think that you wanted to make it more like Rage and Berserk skill from DND games, am I wrong? :)

Maybe buff it with Auto:Regen or Haste?
Or add advice effect (criticalUp).
Or before Berserk begins heal user and remove immobilize.
Or remade it to "AttackUP + DefenceDOWN + Charm\Berserk\Confuse immunity" combination

Beso Toxico should do a full damage, like swarmstrike
Throw skill is too expensive to use now. Possible solution - to reduce price on kunai and weaker knives

Eternal

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on First Aid. It's not meant to be anything amazing, it's meant to be anything amazing, it's meant to be one of many utilities in the Soldier/Warrior's skillset. Soldiers, I might add, get Revive and Aim: Armor later on, as well. I wouldn't be averse to giving First Aid 1 Range later on if I feel it really needs it though.

In regards to Magicbreak, note that MP regeneration isn't a thing in GG. That was one of the first things removed from it. So unless an enemy uses an Ether or something, if that MP is gone, it's gone for good.

Scream will probably be getting Critical Up added to it, at least, that's what I've been leaning towards. We'll see though.

Beso Toxico and Swarmstrike were too similar for a very long time, thus the differentiation. Beso Toxico is great for Poisoning ranged enemies, but Swarmstrike is for when they're up close and you want to do damage as well.

It's funny that you mention Throw since I was thinking about it the other day. My change is to make the Kunai no longer +15% EVD (moving that to the Osafune), and making Kunai 500 Gil instead.

EDIT:
When 1.0 is out, I'm also hoping to release an official version of FFTA Arena, since I've pretty much overhauled everything since then. This was a demo video that was made ages ago of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4M67kvuo60
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

bcrobert

I appreciate that it's called Kunai instead of Ninja Knife. Let me just mention that.

Also soldiers get Aim: Armor? Happiness.

Qavex

Thesis hunt ends up becoming a war of attrition since every enemy ends up with healing. This isn't a problem in and of itself, but the mission comes at a point in the game where the player has an explicit set amount of resources and no way to get more. And to make it worse, they start the fight with more units than the player. It can't be avoided; it can't be fought on the player's terms. The enemy drives the pace of the battle, and there is jack squat one can do about it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's frustrating to look back on the fight and not have an "Oh! I should have done this to not lose" moment. Does that make any sense?

For the thief's abilities: please don't let them steal weapons. Consumable items? Fine. Accessories? Fine; irritating, but fine. Armor? Devastating, but grudgingly acceptable. But to remove a weapon? Lose a skill mid-battle, lose out on AP gains, and have to pay for a new one? If anyone here is like me, that's an instant-lose condition and requires a restart.

Scream can just Add: ATK up (like from Dragon Force) on top of Berserk. That should make the hurt felt more consistently than the crit boost. Or you could do both and make the ability take longer to learn. Losing control of your unit, even if voluntarily, is a major sacrifice, and from my experience requires a full-party strategy to pull off without handicapping yourself. In other words, unless I go into a fight knowing I'm going to use Scream right then, it never gets used (and even so, its super niche).

Also, Swarmstrike isn't weapon range!?  :shock:

bcrobert

You're probably thinking about replacing Steal: Weapon with Frogsong or Demi or some other nonsense.

Stop it.

Eternal

@Blank: Don't be silly. It's just going to be Steal: Shield and Steal: Accessory- neither would be big losses if they hit.

@Qavex: The big thing about FFTA Berserk is that it's like Confuse and Charm- it wears off if the unit is attacked, making Berserk a tricky thing to balance around. Swarmstrike and Beso Toxico were changed in a recent update because they were too same-y before. Now they have their own little niches.

bcrobert

Quote from: Eternal on August 31, 2015, 10:23:21 am
@Qavex: The big thing about FFTA Berserk is that it's like Confuse and Charm- it wears off if the unit is attacked, making Berserk a tricky thing to balance around. Swarmstrike and Beso Toxico were changed in a recent update because they were too same-y before. Now they have their own little niches.

Could someone else confirm that? I don't remember Berserk curing itself with damage but I also don't ever use Berserk...I can check later but I need to be at work in a few minutes. >_>

Mikail

All laws have been removed? Did I do something wrong when patching it? I still got the law at the start of the game.

Eternal

Laws are back (I really need to update the first post), but they're set, so each battle will have set laws.

EDIT: I believe you can stack the Anarchy patch (found in Completed Patches) with this patch if you don't want Laws. I'm not usually for stacking patches, so I'm not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a try!

Eternal

I'm currently performing what will (hopefully) be the final playthrough of GG before a 1.0 release. I've noticed several bugs (albeit minor) that are on the chopping block. Some tooltips still aren't right, but those will be worked on over time (and some simply can't be dealt with at the moment thanks to lots of ability swaparoo-ing).

And yes, I've replayed Thesis Hunt. It's... kinda pathetically easy now, but I thought it was fairly easy before, so we'll see how others will react.

Some bugs I've noticed thus far:

-First Aid does not properly cure Poison (but properly cures Blind, despite both properties being present in the editor.)

-I need to figure out what to do with Whirlwind, Blitz, Iaido, Swallowtail, etc. Ideally, I would just reset them back to Vanilla range/AoE, but that doesn't seem to be working.

-Stat downs are broken for some reason, and I've no true idea why.

-The enemies in Lizard Men (the first fight in the game) start at a level other than 1 for some reason. (Also, you all will be pleased to know that now Mewt has only 1 HP, so the tutorial fight goes by a lot faster now, and you can control Montblanc in Lizard Men, meaning that the first minutes of the game go by much faster than before so you can get to the meat of the game faster!)

So yeah, that's what's on the list right now. I'm sure there's more to fix, but I'll find all that out in time!

bcrobert

First Aid=This is probably because Remove:Poison is effect 4 and Remove:Blind is effect 2. If my theory is correct then First Aid will only cure Poison IF the same unit is also Blind and Silenced. Because the activation of an effect is related to whether or not the effect before it is used.

Whirlwind etc=Set them to a very low power, like 15 or something. If both AIO and the abilities Nightmare module are unable to fix whatever's wrong with it, then I have no idea how you broke it. :(

Kensai

About Whirlwind and Swallowtail, maybe you should
a) lower accuracy
b) add MP cost
c) lower damage

Also maybe good solution will be to take a clean rom and patch these skills in aio, to see if they work and then compare code. That's just a noob advice ;)

To tell truth without this skills battles at beginning of game would be insane difficult imho.

And imho iaido is normal. Not owerpowered and class is not so easy to unlock.

Saint Cross doesn't working, shows 0% hit, 0% damage, no target selection. https://yadi.sk/d/tAo0_LSsio9FJ
Enmity is maybe owerpowered (I may be wrong), immobilize + berserk wins a lot of battle.
Crush (myrmydon skill) shows "Sweet Spot!" label doesn't add effect, and has 15 MP cost against 10 MP from Split (damage+poison).
Shadowstick (slow) is probably better than in original, but still not so useful as swarmstrike. Same for Aphony.

Moogles, so they get Dual Wield early after all. But I completely forgot about them and they probably don't get much support with skills\items at the begining, so their place was taken. Is anyone having same problem?

Quotelso, you all will be pleased to know that now Mewt has only 1 HP

Thanks

p.s.I have your mod and item fix installed but I guess they should conflict with each other.

Eternal

Saint Cross doesn't do damage, rather, it Exorcises surrounding undead units. The skill description has been fixed for the next update.

Enmity, again, inflicts Berserk which (I think) wears off upon being wounded, and Immobilize wears off after three turns, so it's not as overpowered as you'd think. I'll do some testing on it later.

Crush's animation is hardcoded to display Sweet Spot, but if it hits it'll deal damage and inflict Slow.

Shadowstick and Aphony may deal weapon damage in the future as well as their statuses, and it's something I've been considering for a while now. We'll see.