• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:40:32 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA2 Modding Ability Example

Started by pontelon, March 14, 2021, 11:29:11 am

pontelon

I did not find one localized place describing how to create new abilities for FFTA2. All applications I used were on the sticky thread. Namely FFTA2 Job Editor, FFTA2 Text Editor, and Nightmare+Equipment NMM.

Here is my example of adding a new spell: Stone.
Design Reason: Bishop and Sage both have access to Air(Aero) and Water(Water) but not earth damage. Bishop also is one of the only casters for bangaa, so I just wanted them to have more spells.

Problem 1: Animation fixes are a pain. So I wanted to find a ability that already has a stone to avoid my "Throw Rock tosses first aid kits because I replaced First Aid"
Problem 2: Maximum number of job abilities across all jobs must be maintained.
Problem 3: AP Slot is tied to race. If multiple abilities use the same hex, learning one learns the other. If the hex is blank, it'll be 0 AP.

OK, so to fix Problem 1, I picked "Earth Render"(9A) from White Monk. I opened Lennart's FFTA2Ability Editor and found Earth Render. I changed the Target Type to 00|Normal, Radius 05|Black Magick size, gave it 8 MP cost and 30 fixed damage(typically direct damage spells are 3-3.5 per MP). On page 2, I clicked "Physical (0) Magickal (1)" so it uses Magick stat.

Next step, I used the text editor to change the name/description (note that Ability Editor will always display the old name). Then I click on the "Command List Editor" tab and select Discipline. I removed Stone from here (remember, total has to be 723). Then on Intercession I clicked "Add new ability", selected the blank space, then used the drop down to select Stone. I removed Pilfer(never felt right for Bishop IMO). Repeat on Sagacity(which with removing from Monk means we are back to 723). Special note: Since NuMou don't normally have Earth Render(now Stone) I had to type "14" into the MaxAP field(same amount as Water/Aero).

I could have removed commands from monsters to make room, but it would have felt weird to have kept Stone on monk anyway. Probably from now on I'll use monster abilities in general because screw those guys they're jerks.

Lastly we need to add them to items. I choose "White Rod" which currently doesn't teach anything to Bishop, and "Sage Cosier" which doesn't teach Sage anything. Using Nightmare and the Equipment NMM, I found the items and added them for those classes.

I hope this helps people who are wanting to get into modding. The tools are great, if a little difficult to grock at first.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

pontelon

Ran into an issue today trying to give Soldier/Warrior "Throw Rock" using 0x25E Headless's "Sunder Earth." Basically, since both Warrior and Soldier use "Arts of War" the text edit tool had problem. I wended up changing the command for Warrior to "Art of War " so that I could add Throw Stone there as well.

Emin3ms

Hello,

Just to let you know that I'm starting modding abilities as well, maybe we can support each other ;)

I keep you posted
  • Discord username: Rachid System

Emin3ms

Is there an "Evasion down" effect in the game that I can use ? Or how to make it myself in an empty spot based on "Evasion Up" ? Thanks
  • Discord username: Rachid System

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: Emin3ms on April 19, 2021, 09:34:51 amIs there an "Evasion down" effect in the game that I can use ? Or how to make it myself in an empty spot based on "Evasion Up" ? Thanks

Currently atm, there is no Evasion Down effect in the vanilla version of the game, and i think there's no current editor that adds it into the game either, would be nice to have...
  • Discord username: Zeke Aileron™#0606