• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:27:29 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFTA2 overhaul mod (v0.21)

Started by chocolatemoose, June 26, 2020, 04:07:17 pm

chocolatemoose

Update: uploaded v0.13. Changes include:

• Fixed defects with Moogle Shield (I forgot to check the box for can target self and increased the height difference from 0 to 1)
  • Reduced MP cost for Rush from 12 to 8
  • Geomancers no longer start with Nature's Embrace already mastered by default
  • Reduced price on War Hammer to 2700 gil

Sorry for being a pest, but would love to get some help on how to fix the issues below. Relatedly, does anyone know how to change the A-Ability requirements for job unlocks? I could at least spare the Templar.

Thanks!

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 13, 2020, 10:50:32 pmI've been play-testing some and I notice that not an insignificant number of the animation changes I made don't seem to have registered. I'm wondering whether this has something to do with the Idol abilities soft-locking the game.

To make the animation changes, I found the ability index of the ability that I changed, looked up its animation offset in the data sheets, then went to that offset and changed the two block hex code to the animation style I wanted to use. Yet, this didn't seem to work in all cases. It worked in some, but not all. I haven't tested extensively but it seems to be more of an issue farther down the ability index, like for Moogles but not for Humes. Does anyone know why or how to fix it? Could taking abilities originally assigned higher or lower in the index and moving them to jobs higher/lower in the index affect the offsets?

Another potential hypothesis is I wonder if the unexpected behavior has something to do with the unused abilities in the middle of the index (for example, I didn't edit Prominence (0070), I removed the race index from it and no skill sets have the ability assigned). Could this throw off the animation offsets for the remaining abilities? Could this also have something to do with why the Bishop and Cannoneer don't work properly?

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 16, 2020, 11:00:06 pmTo make the animation changes, I found the ability index of the ability that I changed, looked up its animation offset in the data sheets, then went to that offset and changed the two block hex code to the animation style I wanted to use. Yet, this didn't seem to work in all cases. It worked in some, but not all. I haven't tested extensively but it seems to be more of an issue farther down the ability index, like for Moogles but not for Humes. Does anyone know why or how to fix it? Could taking abilities originally assigned higher or lower in the index and moving them to jobs higher/lower in the index affect the offsets?

Two block hex code, uh what???

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 16, 2020, 11:00:06 pmAnother potential hypothesis is I wonder if the unexpected behavior has something to do with the unused abilities in the middle of the index (for example, I didn't edit Prominence (0070), I removed the race index from it and no skill sets have the ability assigned). Could this throw off the animation offsets for the remaining abilities? Could this also have something to do with why the Bishop and Cannoneer don't work properly?

Removing a ability and it's race index has nothing to do with the skill's animation, they're separate which i can confirm this with how my mod works.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Zeke Aileron™#0606

chocolatemoose

Quote from: Zeke_Aileron on August 17, 2020, 09:37:10 amTwo block hex code, uh what???

Sorry, poor word choice - not totally clear on the best vocab to use. I mean in the hex editor each hex is a two-digit hex code, and the animations are defined by two of those two digit hexes (e.g. 01 E0, 00 74, etc.).

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 17, 2020, 11:39:45 amSorry, poor word choice - not totally clear on the best vocab to use. I mean in the hex editor each hex is a two-digit hex code, and the animations are defined by two of those two digit hexes (e.g. 01 E0, 00 74, etc.).

Uh ok, well i didn't know what you meant by two block hex code lol, but i do know how to Hex edit the animations and that kind of threw me off.

chocolatemoose

Quote from: Zeke_Aileron on August 17, 2020, 12:02:36 pmi do know how to Hex edit the animations

Am I doing anything wrong with how I edited the animation hexes? I followed the same process throughout and it looks like it only worked for some of the changes.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 17, 2020, 02:09:00 pmAm I doing anything wrong with how I edited the animation hexes? I followed the same process throughout and it looks like it only worked for some of the changes.

I haven't downloaded your mod yet to take a look at your hexes since i'm busy with my own Mod overhaul, unless you show me what you're attempting to do, there's not much i can help with.

chocolatemoose

@Zeke_Aileron here's a specific example of an animation change that isn't working.

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 12, 2020, 01:53:13 amOn the game-breaking Idol bugs: I tested Toxic and Crazy on an Idol on a mostly complete save file that I have, and they didn't lock up the game. However, the animations aren't working like they should.

For example, Crazy uses the Sweeping Spin ability index (01B9). According to the data file the animation offset for Sweeping Spin is 053E8CE4. So I went to that offset and changed the animation from 25 00 to 0E 01 to give it the War Dance animation. However, when I tested it was still using the animation for Sweeping Spin (Gria spins around) and not showing the damage numbers properly. @Zeke_Aileron or anyone, any idea why this is happening? Is that the wrong offset? (if anyone is reading this, could also use help with the issues I'm having with the Bishop and Cannoneer a couple posts up).

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 17, 2020, 03:29:59 pm@Zeke_Aileron here's a specific example of an animation change that isn't working.

You have to change more than just the 2 Hexes, the Offset is for the Default skill animation, and after it is the Unit animation, if you just change the Skill animation and not the Unit animation, it won't sync up well.

chocolatemoose

Quote from: Zeke_Aileron on August 17, 2020, 03:49:34 pmYou have to change more than just the 2 Hexes, the Offset is for the Default skill animation, and after it is the Unit animation, if you just change the Skill animation and not the Unit animation, it won't sync up well.

@Zeke_Aileron Thank you! How do I do that? Where is the unit animation data? Do I have to change every single hex listed in the skill animations tab (I think there are 17, including subtype, start, first, until, second, etc. flinch/glee and then a bunch of untitled ones) at the animation offset?

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 17, 2020, 05:29:35 pm@Zeke_Aileron Thank you! How do I do that? Where is the unit animation data? Do I have to change every single hex listed in the skill animations tab (I think there are 17, including subtype, start, first, until, second, etc. flinch/glee and then a bunch of untitled ones) at the animation offset?

It's in the same spreadsheet where the Animations is listed under, so yes.

chocolatemoose

@Zeke_Aileron thanks very much for your help! New version (0.14) is up. I tested a Cursed Blade and an Idol ability and they both appear to be working now.

@Kiosade if you've unlocked any of the Idol abilities, curious to see whether they still soft lock your game.

Still to do:

1. Change Templar A-Ability requirements (pending a fix to #2)
2. Make Bishop and Cannoneer usable

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 18, 2020, 12:49:32 am2. Make Bishop and Cannoneer usable

Ok, what exactly is the problem with this one now?

chocolatemoose

@Zeke_Aileron it's the problem discussed in these posts earlier in the thread:

tl;dr the skill set shows up as mastered but there are no skills assigned to it. I assigned skills to the skill set in the everything editor, I set AP values for them, and assigned skills to equipment where they properly appear. It appears to only affect the Bishop and the Cannoneer. I'm not sure what's going on.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 18, 2020, 10:36:56 am@Zeke_Aileron it's the problem discussed in these posts earlier in the thread:

tl;dr the skill set shows up as mastered but there are no skills assigned to it. I assigned skills to the skill set in the everything editor, I set AP values for them, and assigned skills to equipment where they properly appear. It appears to only affect the Bishop and the Cannoneer. I'm not sure what's going on.

Yeah... those pictures don't really help me much btw, i need to actually see the source like what you have in Nightmare Module and such.

Dual-Wielding Ninja

Don't know if you've noticed this, but you should probably change your thread's name to match the current mod version.
  • Discord username: Dual-Wielding Ninja

chocolatemoose

Quote from: Zeke_Aileron on August 18, 2020, 10:47:40 amYeah... those pictures don't really help me much btw, i need to actually see the source like what you have in Nightmare Module and such.

@Zeke_Aileron thanks for the help! Attached are screenshots of:

• the ability editor for Cura in my mod
  • the ability editor for vanilla Cura
  • the everything editor for the Intercession skill set
  • the nightmare editor for Healing Staff

I chose to use Cura as an example because it's working fine for my White Mages.

chocolatemoose

Quote from: Dual-Wielding Ninja on August 18, 2020, 05:43:50 pmDon't know if you've noticed this, but you should probably change your thread's name to match the current mod version.

It totally slipped my mind, thanks for the reminder. I updated the thread name and I'll keep this in mind when editing the OP to post new patches.

Zeke_Aileron

After look at those images, I'm at a loss actually, cause something similar happened to me, but it wasn't from the editors, it was from bad hex editing a skill set, so idk how to help you...

chocolatemoose

@Zeke_Aileron the only hex editing I've done is for skill animations and the MP changes you called out toward the beginning of this thread.

How did you fix your problem?

One thing I noticed is that the starting and ending hexes for the skill sets are different. For example, in vanilla intercession's first/last are E9/F0, but in my mod they're A2/A9. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Barring a fix (I don't think the Bishop and Cannoneer are crucial to enjoying a playthrough), do you know how to change A-Ability requirements? I'd like to give access to the Templar, which is locked behind the Bishop but doesn't appear to have the same *Mastered* problem.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 19, 2020, 10:22:24 am@Zeke_AileronBarring a fix (I don't think the Bishop and Cannoneer are crucial to enjoying a playthrough), do you know how to change A-Ability requirements? I'd like to give access to the Templar, which is locked behind the Bishop but doesn't appear to have the same *Mastered* problem.

Through Hex editing is one way to change the A-Ability requirements, or the nightmare module for class/recruit.

Quote from: chocolatemoose on August 19, 2020, 10:22:24 amHow did you fix your problem?

I fixed my problem via Hex editing by finding the correct hexes to reapply to my Job's abilities AP.