• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:16:44 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Grim Grimoire (Latest version: Beta 0.993)

Started by Eternal, June 23, 2013, 07:50:32 pm

Nyzer

... Huh?
Why would a new thread have been created and posted in some other location with no forwarding link in this topic? Especially when Eternal's kept this topic going since 2013?

:|
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

Howdy! Yes, they're still ongoing. Thanks to the hard work of Leonarth and the others, I think FFTA/FFTA2 GG 2.0 will be a far cleaner endeavor than the originals were. I'm currently finishing up my FFXII mod in the next few days and then I'll be able to continue with my other projects. For the most part I have everything laid out for 2.0, it's just a matter of implementing and testing. Apologies for the silence and the delay, FFXII modding has really taken up a large part of my time the last several months but it's been good experience for me for future projects such as this, so I guess it all works out in the end. Thanks for your continued support! :)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Blue Mage Fanatic

Ah, that's excellent to hear! I look forward to seeing Grim Grimoire Advanced/A2 2.0 in the future!

elcee5000

I apologize for bringing up an old topic, but since the Google Drive link is dead, is there any possibility anyone has a copy of the Ability Master Guide? I've searched everywhere (even the archive.org version of the site) and I can't find it. Thank you very much.

Squire Doodad

I'm guessing if a topic has been around for this long without a new one, the "hasn't been posted on in 60 days" bit is somewhat irrelevant...?
Anyways, looking forward to GG2.0, I just have two main questions
First off, any idea when it'll be done? I don't expect it to be magically done already but I'm wondering if there's a vague idea as to how far along it is.
Secondly...if I have a modded game that is modded with the old Grim Grimoire, would I be able to apply some sort of reversion patch to the update my game with GG2.0? Or will I need to start a new game?
Things are looking great, good luck :D

Squire Doodad

Doubleposting but its been months :P

I'm curious, what sorts of builds did you guys try?
I was thinking of doing a BM/Bard combo for Montblanc for my next run (not sure if TM/Bard or [X]M/Mediator works better), but also trying out Myrmidon/Samurai (I THINK Samurai deals physical damage?).
Basically trying to make a team that can work with Montblanc and Marche instead of in spite of them.

Also if anyone can find a copy of the Ability Master Guide that'd be great.

Eternal

I dug through my old files for the Master Guide and wasn't able to find it, so I think I lost it when my hard drive died ages ago. That being said, I'm not really happy with the current version of GG and will likely be reworking it in the future. I don't want to promise an ETA or anything since work has gotten so unexpectedly busy for me of late, but I'd like to go through and make a more stable version with less bugs.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Squire Doodad

Ah, that's a shame. What's already here is really good though, I'm impressed by how much you were able to pull off. It's like someone spilled Dark Souls on my FFTA and fixed 90% of my problems with the gameplay.

Question for min-maxing purposes: Do you by chance recall what some of the job stat growths were for GG? If so, can you give a loose description of what the revised stat growths are? EDIT: Read through some comments seems pretty clear that stat growths were reworked.

Hope your work clears up a bit, it really sucks when you just get bogged down in stuff.

Vexye

Hi, Eternal!

Just created this account after finishing my FFTA: GG gameplay (300 missions completed, finally) and I wanted to give my review after the gameplay. I found pretty interesting -and difficult- to clear the first missions, using Montblanc's Lullaby as my main weapon, combined with the Bangaa Dragoon's Jump at first, then Frogsong (which manages to work on Totemas and bosses despite Inmunity) and finally Last Breath. Life arrives so late in the gameplay so I could reach Revive in White Monk and Soldier before, forced to explore unusual gameplay options. Green Mage is also a great choice and I found it a great option early in the game.

The main problem is the level growth (the level adjustement makes interesting to fight but i managed to get to Exodus at level 50) but i find that if you don't adjust XP growth (for example, less XP for fighting) there's no other choice to balance that.

The fight against Mateus was the most difficult in game. The fact that I reached lvl 50 before this fight made the lvl? Flare SO DEADLY, combined with the all-target Mateus skills, i needed aprox. 20 tries and precisely programming every move to succeed.

The main problems during the gameplay (well, problems) were the following:

• Holy Cross/Moogle Dual Weild/known bugs

• Concentrate -in moogles- + Lullaby provides 70-100% hit ratio

• Monsters are too easy to beat with status (maybe lowering ratios would work)

And i will reply when i remember new things!

Stormlag

I think the mod is unbeatable by normal means. I'm not sure if it's built around knowing about savestates. The real problem is the bosses is way too hard. I'm not sure how to beat the game without using Humes with dual wield, I mean I have 3 Humes in a single party, leveled as Fighter(I don't really know which jobs gave the best damage output) and pummel my way through. The Li Grim fight is impossible with her having mana shield unless you grind up to higher levels.

I always check the enemy stats and some freezes the game.

I truly wanted to play normally as far as I could. I needed to grind so much just to have advantage.

That's just my 2 cents.

badabing93

Just finished my second playthrough of the storyline. I'll offer some general criticism since you said that you'd be doing things differently if you revisited this.

I disagree with some posters who found the enemy bulk/healing problematic. It's an important source of difficulty spike here, though I think you'd benefit from raising enemy power more often for this instead. Relying on status for tanks past the early game (outside of bonus poison from swarmstrike/split) is very inefficient. This mod puts an emphasis on boosting and/or using AoE attacks to build a lead, and the positions were fun to solve despite several tools being a bit overpowered. I say leave the buffs on swallowtail and eldena doublecast fire, but add some drawbacks such as recoil and more midgame return magic respectively.

As for other rebalances, I thought the various nerfs to physical classes were welcome because they incentivize the unit to actually specialize in ranged or close quarters. A good example of this was the bounty's fighter on roda volcano. Not sure if the formation was random, but he starts up close to the party such that you're better off simply sidestepping him and abusing his inferior movement/ranged power rather than brute forcing through him like any other unit. Took me some experimentation to realize that though because the game doesn't quite force you to try that hard the entire time if you're content weathering the attrition.

Bow-users' access to ranged fight provides them a cool niche when paired with the bonus crit chance of mediator's praise. I love the mediator for this and his growths/equips, but a lot of his debuffs weren't worth clicking to the point where he probably oughta go a different direction overall. And this hits on my biggest complaint with the mod which was there being a lot of fluff in not useful abilities and even classes. Many regular classes could use a little more differentiation also. Of the custom jobs, the reaver in particular needs changes as everything he does outside of lifebreak is just too slow-paced or weak in my opinion. I suggest buffing zombify to AoE and making his growths better while increasing job reqs to make him more of a reward. Panther soul movement was genius though. The evoker and dual wield juggler concepts are interesting and hope they get implemented.

That's it mostly... Good job with the equips. Consider lowering AP cost further and removing dispatch (if that's even feasible). I'd be tempted to remove AP honestly, but it does add a layer to the RPG decision-making.

Thanks for your work.

Madeen

Well I enjoyed myself until Exodus fight ... took me like 4 hits to finally destroy a fruit, then Babus comes and full-lifes it ... yeah right :/

And I cant kill Babus first either, he's immune to debuffs and has auto-regen ... this fight is torture, I'm not spending 2 hours on this.

1337Noob

Pretty enjoyable hack for the difficulty, although sometimes it seems impossible to outmatch the opponents. It's a shame that this isn't being finished, but you did great work for what it is now OP.

I read that the Master Guide for all the changes is lost to the void but....

Does anyone at least know ALL of the class unlock requirements? I getting a sense that it may be pointless to continue if I'm not able to plan accordingly, because as I progress/level the enemies will most likely get much more tougher than they are.

1337Noob

Quote from: 1337Noob on March 05, 2021, 12:05:00 amDoes anyone at least know ALL of the class unlock requirements? I getting a sense that it may be pointless to continue if I'm not able to plan accordingly, because as I progress/level the enemies will most likely get much more tougher than they are.

Nevermind! I'm blind. I started playing for a few days and was worried, but never noticed the Job Tree on the main post. Gonna copy it down, just incase hehe.

steffanb

Everything is really good. My only big issue is the restriction on the fighting members to always 5, even when the enemy has more. That is not fair and puts you in a big disadvantage. I want to use more of my players. That's the only let down.

ZaneOlric

Just found this and am super excited to try this out.

As a kid, my enthusasum for the game was broken when I realized some quest items and monsters could be missed, locking me out of 100%.

As an adult, I found the game a bit unchallenging.  Hearing that the difficulty has ramped up has me excited. Curious about the new jobs as well.

This is honestly everything I was hoping I'd find when I decided to search for a mod, so I'll give it a go and leave some feedback again when I finish it.

Moneyovfame

This might have been discussed before and im going to continue to read just in case, but is Juggler being able to learn dual wield intentional? Because its bugged and even though i equipped the ability its not letting me equip another weapon. I checked the weapons and they're both 1 handed.

And saints cross is bugged too,. It just does nothing .

Im really enjoying the Mod, it does feel alot harder

Moneyovfame

Quote from: Moneyovfame on June 09, 2022, 08:05:37 pmThis might have been discussed before and im going to continue to read just in case, but is Juggler being able to learn dual wield intentional? Because its bugged and even though i equipped the ability its not letting me equip another weapon. I checked the weapons and they're both 1 handed.

And saints cross is bugged too,. It just does nothing .

Im really enjoying the Mod, it does feel alot harder

Well i took the time to read and realized those are well known bugs, im kinda sad though that the last update was in 2015 and seeing the thread slowly die from there :/. Seeing that you were so close to making the changes and bug fixes we asked for and it never came.

Zolias

I'm enjoying this so far and have recently gotten the third Totema, though I have noticed a couple oddities:

1: It's far too easy to reach max level - I merely tried gaining money for some better equipment by fighting other clans - I was 50 by the first totema...  Only good side of this is that it's easier to train lower leveled units if you can find a way to safely bring them into a fight, but it makes it harder to level a unit up properly.  This is especially true for Marche and Montblanc, as they cannot gain AP from doing missions, and one of the bigger benefits I found with FFTA2 granting the entire Clan the AP from a job.

2: I've noticed that you can only ever equip ONE of each type of gear.  I have had many thoughts of adding boots and gauntlets to a mage or a melee fighter with a two-handed weapon, however the player cannot do this.  This might be a feature added, but this may result in another issue, which is coming next.

3: The Dual Wield S-Ability is broken, and I don't mean like it is in the base game, either.  I've equipped a weapon that grants the ability to be learned (Nosada for Human Ninja and Mithril Knife for Moogle Jesters), but even with the S-Ability equipped, I cannot equip a second weapon (I was doing this for Lini, so I could equip him with both the Ayvuir Red and Ayvuir Blue at the same time in his Mog Knight job). I'm guessing the limiting of one single item type is the cause of this bug. Also, I'm positive it's must be a bug because why else would the Mithril Knife be granted the Dual Wield ability instead of a combo skill like normal?

4: Speaking of Nosada, there is a strange black glitch on its ability list underneath the Dual Wield for Ninja, and has a learning cost of 0 AP.  Additionally, there's a similar bug on the Aona Flute, though not as glitchy-looking as the Nosada - it teaches Bomb to Beastmasters for 100 AP and Frogsong to Bards for 200 AP, but the topmost ability is an unnamed Beastmaster Skill, which is also learned for 100 AP.

5: Is it intended for every non-accesory piece of equipment that normally doesn't have a skill to learn to have Ramuh available to be taught to Evokers?  Because every non-accessory piece of equipment that normally doesn't have a skill to learn has Ramuh available to be taught to Evokers...

That's all I noticed for as far as I've gotten, that HASN'T already been mentioned before, so... yeah.  Still enjoying it, though!

Idward

Quote from: Eternal on February 24, 2019, 07:53:07 pmHowdy! Yes, they're still ongoing. Thanks to the hard work of Leonarth and the others, I think FFTA/FFTA2 GG 2.0 will be a far cleaner endeavor than the originals were. I'm currently finishing up my FFXII mod in the next few days and then I'll be able to continue with my other projects. For the most part I have everything laid out for 2.0, it's just a matter of implementing and testing. Apologies for the silence and the delay, FFXII modding has really taken up a large part of my time the last several months but it's been good experience for me for future projects such as this, so I guess it all works out in the end. Thanks for your continued support! :)

I'd just like a bit of clarity, was there ever a 1.0 release? Or is just going to skip 1 and go to v2?