• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Now Playing

Started by Cheetah, April 03, 2008, 09:31:33 am

Vanya

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

Playing Fire Emblem over again after making Leila a playable Assassin lol and turning Priscilla into A better copy of Sonia and also making the enemie bosses have more equip so you can fight them for longer
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

I like Jaffar, but I don't like his stat gains because he is an "already promoted" unit. Is it possible to fix that up a bit? It would be so awesome to somehow change the "Tactician" into a (possibly faceless or used portriat) unit, like a level 1 Mercenary or something. I mean for real, in real life I would never, ever hide behind Lyn who is a girl, I would feel more like c'mon lets kick ass together. Zozma, are you hacking or game sharking? Is it possible to make the Tactician (you the player) a unit? This would make me play the entire game again :D
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

SilvasRuin

QuoteI will from now on go as a Dragoon with Volcaneous Spear (once I get it) and a bunch of curing herbs.
Hah, well, the biggest reason to use Knight instead of Dragoon is that their growths are almost identical but Knight's is slightly superior (in HP, if I remember correctly).  Maybe use a Dragoon for the last fights in the game so you can use the special spear to its fullest potential, but you'll need the best growths you can get to come out on top with only Alphonse.
Knight is the best for Strength growths, Ninja is the best for Agility, Cleric for Intelligence, and Valkyrie/Warlock for balanced growths.
Special characters with unique classes tend to have unparalleled growths, so changing them is stupid.  Special characters without tend to have a good headstart on generics due to never leveling as Soldiers, Ivanna in particular, so you can either have absurd Strength (for Ivanna) or absurd Agility (for Shiven) or you can swap them to Ninja or Knight respectively at some point for more balanced physical stats.  Orson is the exception as he has bad luck on the day you recruit him, and Archers have really bad growths.  So... he sucks.

The best way to level a character to be a physical powerhouse, in either Strength or Agility, is to immediately get the Sniper emblem then make them a Ninja.  Over time get the Centurion and Wargod emblems and get 34 levels as Ninja and 15 as Knight for 405 HP, 312 Strength, and 350 Agility (earns the Charisma emblem and any more than that is REALLY unnecessary), or 15 as Ninja and 34 as Knight to get 443 HP, 350 Strength, and 312 Agility.  A level as Swordmaster is almost equal to half a level as Ninja and half as Knight, but it is very hard to unlock early, and the "almost equal" part comes into play whenever you try to cast Heal, the holy projectile spell, or one of the eight elemental spells Ninja can cast.  Swordmaster has a lower Intelligence than either of them.
Spellcaster levels are simpler.  Use two MP boosting items and 8 Int boosting items, level them 7 times as a Ninja, then pile all the rest of it into Cleric.  That's just enough to get 350 Intelligence, and at that point Wargod won't be quite so devestating, and would get them to 228 Strength with Centurion.  They also end up with 375 HP, 249 MP, and 247 Agility.
Eleanor is not so lucky since she starts out with a good number of levels in Soldier.  Without a ton of stat boosting items, she never can get Charisma through Intelligence, and her special ability is best if you make her a spell caster.  With 36 levels in Cleric, you can get 414 HP, 214 MP, 200 Strength, 329 Intelligence, and 239 Agility.
With 26 in Cleric and 10 in Ninja, she gets 414 HP, 194 MP, 210 Strength, 299 Intelligence, and 269 Agility.
23 in Soldier (TOTAL!!) and 26 in Cleric gets 444 HP, 184 MP, 210 Strength, 299 Intelligence, and 249 Agility.
So extra levels in Soldier makes her more durable, extra levels in Ninja makes her harder to hit, and pure Cleric nets her an extra 30 Intelligence.  That really makes it a question of whether you prefer 30 HP, 10 Str and 10 Agi; 30 Int, or 10 Str and 30 Agility.  This becomes more distinct with Wargod.  414 HP + 230 Str + 299 Int + 239 Agi, 414 HP + 240 Str + 269 Int + 269 Agi, or 444 HP + 240 Str + 269 Int + 249 Agi.
Pure Cleric makes it far easier to boost her Int up to Charisma, but Ninja makes her much more well rounded, especially with Wargod helping her Strength.  What really sucks is that there's no emblem to boost Int, not even by 5, except for the multiplayer emblems that boost all stats and are impossible to get without hacking the game anymore.
For Alphonse, I've found these numbers:
33 Ninja + 16 Knight + Wargod + the "S Start" answers to the opening questions:
     431 HP + 155 MP + 318 Str + 184 Int + 350 Agi
32 Knight + 17 Ninja + Wargod + S Start
     463 HP + 155 MP + 350 Str + 184 Int + 318 Agi
38 Knight + 11 Cleric + Wargod + S Start
     475 HP + 177 MP + 351 Str + 217 Int + 273 Agi
15 Knight + 34 Warlock + Wargod + S Start
     463 HP + 223 MP + 350 Str + 218 Int + 284 Agi
If you're going to have a spellcasting capable character, you really should avoid Wargod if at all possible, but this can be hard to balance on "hybrids."
20 Cleric + 29 Warlock + Wargod + "Start I" (+10 MP and Int, and 4 Agi)
     418 HP + 263 MP + 285 Str + 283 Int + 264 Agi
6 Ninja + 20 Cleric + 23 Warlock + Wargod + Start I
     412 HP + 251 MP + 279 Str + 277 Int + 276 Agi
5 Cleric + 44 Warlock + Start I (Not including any stat boosting items necessary to get Warlock at level 6)
     433 HP + 263 MP + 285 Str + 283 Int + 279 Agi
As you can see, hybrids are better off without Wargod, IF you can avoid getting it.
I forget how to answer to get the "S Start" in stats, but 10 HP, 10 Str, and 4 Agi is really good compared to the others due to not wasting any points in MP, but since there are no Int boosting emblems at all, "I Start" answers are the best for spell casters with 10 MP, 10 Int, and 4 Agi.

I would personally go with the 23 Warlock, 20 Cleric, and 6 Ninja, though I have no idea how you answered the questions.  That build, when using Warlock, would provide you an MP costly power attack so you aren't constantly using up your HP to bring the hurt, and you could also take a couple support spells with you to try and incapacitate some of the enemies with Paralysis or Sleep so you wouldn't have to deal with them all at once, or Teleport for a quick getaway, etc.  The weakness is that it would NOT provide you with a ranged attack and it is incapable of using the heal spell.  Knight is definitely superior in that regard, though only so versatile in preparation, not in actual combat.  Of course, it can use a bow just as well as a Knight can.  And really, once you reach level 50, growths no longer matter for what class you currently use, so you can use those stats with any of them.

1. If you don't mind cheating a bit, then if you make a quicksave just before killing the final boss, then save on your Alphonse only file, then load the quicksave and win, then you get the Ambicion and the permanent maxed morale emblem on your solo Alphonse, which will really help when facing Vrtras and other fear inducing enemies.
2. You should use every stat boosting item you get on Alphonse as soon as possible.  There's really no reason not to.
3. If you don't mind relying on items to heal with, the magic nullifying amulet would be fantastic to have on Alphonse since you won't have any supporting spellcasters.  Otherwise... think of the devestation Summon spells would cause.
4. Paralysis, Confusion, Petrification, Sleep, all of these are (potentially) lethal, so the dragon eyes ring is a very good choice to have on him.
5. IF you follow the last two recommendations, you have two slots left.  You should be abusing any two-handed weapons that beat out your one-handed weapons in that case unless you're crazy enough to run around without armor.
6. Not recruiting ANYONE means no Training Mode, which means you are going to miss out on a lot of goodies.  Waiting to save Glycenia until the final stages of the game nets you the Crescente bow, if I remember correctly, which is the best bow in the game.  Similarly she will carry Ripple's staff before that, which is the best in the game for spellcasters.  Not waiting to find her until later on and/or not saving her to take her stuff makes you miss out big.
7. If you DO recruit people for training mode and taking their stuff, make sure you either dimiss the lot of them before Ostoria or you'll have to deploy ALL of them to whichever side you attack first.  If you do not, the other side of the castle will be unwinnable with characters that have never leveled up.
8. Attack the side of Ostoria with the swordmaster or you will miss out on Atropos.
9. The "side quests" from the books will be mostly useless for you as having only Alphonse hinders your fighting speed tremendously.  A Warp Ring or Warp shoes would be a must, and an angel's feather certainly wouldn't hurt.
10. Do still try to get the Resurrection spell from the Priest(s).  Then sell it and any Altar of Resurrection spells you get for cash.  Every little bit helps, and gets you more money for restoratives.  (I'm assuming you can sell spells... I've never actually tried.)
11. Swap to Dragoon for the final fight(s).  I trust you understand why.
For the undead levels, all I can think of is turning him Cleric, giving him Banish, then running like hell and chomping down on MP healing items until he can start banishing them one by one.  I usually just make Eleanor a Cleric so she learns her special ability ASAP and then use THAT on the undead, but... you can't do that.

Jon

Sorry for not keeping up to date, I am fighting Naris(?), I totally forgot his name, Naris or something. I have Atropos, Alphonse is a Knight (this is ridiculous, but Alphonse practically MUST be a Knight, otherwise you will eventually run outta cash, and need to do book quests, trust me) and I have been fighting since available from Osteria with Farfanir the dragon killer sword and Atropos, I got the Ogre Helmet, Pheonix Armor and Warp Shoes. I made a discovery: Alphonse is immune to all status effects, including Petrify. You don't need any protection. Either that or I have been extremely lucky, which I doubt by now. Once I kill the General Naris(?), I will continue as is until its time for Shaher and then staying as a Knight equip the Longicolnis, because at level 50, it doesn't matter either way. I will try to get Clotho from the side quests before heading up the Angel Headstone. I don't have any characters in my army, I don't recruit either. With any money I get, I like to try to buy the best HP healing items, since Heal is under 10 MP anyways. All training is done hard core random battle style. I decided that early on. Thank you very much for the growth charts SilvasRuin! :mrgreen:

Vanya

Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Loving the oldschool-ness. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

SilvasRuin

I would get that, Vanya, but I'm currently a little broke.  :/

Jon, I forgot to mention, those numbers are averages.  They can and will vary based on how good the character's luck is when leveling up.  Which is why recruiting soldiers on the last day with the best luck they can get is awesome.
I think you're right about Alphonse being immune to statuses.  Now that you've mentioned it, I'm wanting to recall that I read that was indeed true at some point.
Why is Knight better for finances?  Equipment availability?
I STILL want to know how you got past the undead.
Isn't the name "Fafnir", not "Farfanir"?

You're making me want to play the game again, only this time I think it might be fun to do an undead playthrough.  Hrm...  The game is most of the way over before you can get the necromancy spell, and I have no idea where my old Action Replay is.  I suppose procuring a digital copy and using VBA's gameshark utility could work.  But then, the undead are best made AFTER the character has lived a full "life" up to level fifty and THEN made undead as their growths suck oh so horrifically.  What do you think, play through normally until I can make an undead army, or use a cheat device to get the necromancy spell early on and then grind through training to get the entire party to level 50 and start making them undead?
I figure it shouldn't skew the difficulty much since I'd level Alphonse too and that doesn't do a thing to net me good equipment.  I COULD just not grind them to 50, but then they'd suck throughout the game and only serve to infuriate me.
Oh, and I will not include Liches in such a playthrough as they're just cheap, don't mechanically count as undead, and would defeat the purpose of using unconventional troops.  I might use Angel Knights as support units though...
It amuses me that Warlock would likely be best for such a playthrough.  Or Wizard for a long range spell as well rather than only a couple undead supports...

Jon

Play it again ;) You'll see quickly why Knight is the best on the battle field if you do a SCC. Remember, for a few turns you might be able to run away from the enemies, but eventually they will surround you and pound you into the ground, which for one thing a Wizard can't handle. I have no idea how the name of Farfinir or whatever its called is spelled, I write from bad memory haha. To get to 50 the quickest is to do a SCC, takes about 10-12 game hours to get Alphonse up that high, well at least for me, I was 45 before Osteria Castle. Also, if you want undead, you pretty much are limited for humans to Ghosts (with no special weapon), Angel Knights (which aren't undead but they ARE! lol), or Liches which I agree can be cheap, but the most you can have are 3. Also Summoners are cheaper. I believe Alphonse cannot become undead, correct, unless you game shark him, which would be sorta cool...Another thing: you get 3 Rings of the Dead, meaning 3 possible Liches or Dragon Zombies, but as we know you can get 2 level 30ish DZs from the battle with the monster guy that cursed God because his sister died. Also also, try this: SCC with Alphonse to level 50, save your money by being a Knight the entire time, and maybe recruit then at 50 a few level 1 Soldiers and then train them? This will make critical hits impossible though...good luck!

AndyThePlayer

I'm playing FFT wotl psp.

SilvasRuin

Sharking Alphonse into a ghost would break the game, I'm pretty sure.  As in crash at the first cutscene I come across after doing so.

I'm well aware of all the secrests in the game.  I'm mainly just trying to decide if I want to go through so much trouble to use Ghosts and Dragon Zombies all the way through the game, or if I should just make due until I can do the Quest that gets me the spell to make them.

But that doesn't matter anyways, for now.  Someone's finally talked me into trying Minecraft and I'm pretty sure it's going to wind up eating my soul or something.

Jon

Just to say one last thing on the topic of Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis, if you had a whole bunch of undead units, it will be very difficult I realized to actually finish the game because of all the Angel Knights with Banish, the 1 hit kill forever for undeads. The last 3 battles are loaded with Angel Knights, and after 3 turns if they all aren't dead, you will start seeing permanent unit loss.

SilvasRuin

Bait their Banishes with Ramza.  Get them to kill his MP instead while they hang back.  It would risk getting a gameover with his defeat though...

Jon

Ha, with Alphonse you mean >_>

SilvasRuin

That is an extremely interesting typo.  I know I made it when really tired, but I'm not quite sure why.

Vanya

Star War: The Force Unleashed II (Wii)
I like how they made the combat simpler to give the story more emphisis.
The endings practically beg for a third game.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Archael

Just finished Halo: Reach on legendary and have no interest in playing it again, not even on XBL. Gameplay is way too similar to the others, zzz ive played this before

Samuraiblackbelt

Quote from: "Voldemort"Just finished Halo: Reach on legendary and have no interest in playing it again, not even on XBL. Gameplay is way too similar to the others, zzz ive played this before
you didn't notice that after the first one?
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Gotwald

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"you didn't notice that after the first one?
Halo 2 is worth playing just for the dialogue.
-- Attention Citizens, this is the Computer. 2 + 2 now equals 3.9999238849009985. Please recalibrate your equipment.

My youtube Channel
My 1.3 Playthough (Complete)
My Final fantasy I Blind playthrough

SilvasRuin

Minecraft.
18 buckets of lava, 1 bucket of water, I lost track of how many coal I had a long time ago, 20-something steel, 4 Steel picks, lots of redstone, but I've still not even seen a speck of diamond yet.  Sucks because I've found plenty of natural obsidian.

Spawn point in a snowy biome, kind of near a beach.  I built a glass walkway around the spawn point and up a nearby cliff to my home behind a natural waterfall.  I would be hollowing out the entire mountain and expanding my base, but I'm too busy exploring a massively deep natural cave I broke into.

Archael

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"
Quote from: "Voldemort"Just finished Halo: Reach on legendary and have no interest in playing it again, not even on XBL. Gameplay is way too similar to the others, zzz ive played this before
you didn't notice that after the first one?

nope

Halo 2 plays VERY differently from Halo 1

Halo 3 was a nice throwback to Halo 1, and then so was ODST and Reach