• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:26:26 am

Rumors and Side Quests

Started by 3lric, November 22, 2011, 08:54:00 pm

3lric

November 22, 2011, 08:54:00 pm Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:06:59 am by Elric42
Okay so We've run into a snag, I'm trying to replicate either the Beowulf or Nelveska Island sidequest or rather using them as a base. What we need to figure out is this:

you can see 00AA here, now i assume this means

"Once this rumor is active, IF character reads this, then upon leaving then this land is Drawn"

This is all fine and good, now here are the 2 issues we have

1. When i use ZERO/ADD in the event previous to active a rumor on the map how can i make it be at a specific place rather then where it would normally start at? Example, if i put in the Nelveska Temple Rumor i can't access it since Zeltennia isn't on map yet which i thought i could avoid with step 2.

2. I planned to have the Death Corps rumor (the first rumor in the game) do something along these same lines, but i also can't access that one, so i Instead found a Rumor that starts at Lionel and intend to edit that one so that upon leaving Lionel a event happens if theyhave read this rumor and 2 certain characters are present. I can handle all of this EXCEPT, and this is the biggest issue

I don't know what the Values would be the make something happen on a different rumor or even what the values of the rumors are, they are not the latter values on the main page. They would be in the first set of numbers and they can't be found by just counting back either like most things on the main page (in Event Instructions) can be. So basicly this is what I'm looking at currently:

Equal?           ???          01
UnitPresent    Ovelia (Bandit 1)
UnitPresent    Simon (Bandit 2)
Event            .....         ....

So that first Equal is what i need to figure out I'm assuming in terms of linking something to an Event. Unless you look at Beowulf's which is a bit more complex, which is why i attempted to replicate Nelveska's first

Any help or insight on this would be greatly appreciated

OR IF anyone can think of another way to setup sidequests, we aren't married to the idea of doing it this way it just seemed to most simple to think of, so let us know!
  • Modding version: PSX

Pride

I've been wondering this for a very long time but I've never been able to find out how to do it. So I'm hoping that someone else knows how to do it as well (maybe Xif?)
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

3lric

Quote from: Pride on November 23, 2011, 12:35:55 pm
I've been wondering this for a very long time but I've never been able to find out how to do it. So I'm hoping that someone else knows how to do it as well (maybe Xif?)

Well, here's hoping someone does lol :?

pokeytax

Sorry about the delay!

I'm not sure how to change where rumors are active - that variable is marked '0AA' because it's unknown to me. Not all rumors may change variables. You would have to look at what values in memory change after you activate the rumors.

The Goug Machine City sidequests are easier to work with, I think, although actually using rumors would be really cool.

3lric

Quote from: pokeytax on November 23, 2011, 08:36:34 pm
Sorry about the delay!

I'm not sure how to change where rumors are active - that variable is marked '0AA' because it's unknown to me. Not all rumors may change variables. You would have to look at what values in memory change after you activate the rumors.

The Goug Machine City sidequests are easier to work with, I think, although actually using rumors would be really cool.

Ok well atleast I know now that it may not be possible to do it tht way other then modifiying what is already there, tho i hope eventually that may change as more info becomes available, for other sidequests i guess i can go the  IF char/treasure is present route, thanks for the reply Pokeytax  :mrgreen:

Pride

You can change what variables are active through the text in the rumor. Looking at the Rumors in TacText, there's only three Rumors that change variables with those being Rumor 2, 20, and 21 which all have a set up before that look like {0xF566}{0x????}{0x????}{0xF601} with only the offsets in the middle being changed. I'm not sure how it works exactly yet... I'm still trying to figure it out.

King Omdoria:      {0xF566}{0xF660}{0xF508}{0xF601}
Rumor              {0xF566}{0xF660}{0xF509}{0xF601}
Ghost of Colliery: {0xF566}{0xF610}{0xF506}{0xF601}
Nelveska Rumor:    {0xF566}{0xF611}{0xF500}{0xF601}

The King Omdoria Rumor activates the Character Bio's for Orinas and Ruvelia or the integers 0x03C8 and 0x03C9. The Ghost of Colliery activates integer 0x00A6 and the Nelveska Rumor actives integer 0x00AA. By adding the prefix to a rumor, you can activate the integer by reading it which I tested by adding the prefix to the Death Corps rumor and drawing a path to Sweegy Woods after reading it.

Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

3lric

Sweet, thanx you very much Pride  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: