• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:10 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Grim Grimoire (Latest version: Beta 0.993)

Started by Eternal, June 23, 2013, 07:50:32 pm

Ivalice4Life

Ye been watching for a while,new account. Is this playable?? Tool tips messed up last time i tried which was months ago.
BANNED

snowday

It's totally playable and a lot of fun, but a lot of, aw.... moments when new content doesn't work properly

Sant Cross doesn't work, certain skills can hit from crazy heights, no weapons for new class Reaver to learn any abilities other than Def+, moogle dual wield doesn't work.

It's definitely more difficult, which is great in my book as my only real gripe with the original game is how stupidly easy it was. Enemies use items and regularly revive their comrades so it makes for much more interesting (and longer) fights. Further balancing could be added though, Status effects are a just bit too good IMO, and stuff like doom and instakill stuff are far too OP.

Eternal

You can be rest assured that these bugs are noted and are being fixed. There's a lot going on behind the scenes, and I'm working on fully revamping everything to make it not only more playable and balanced, but more fun as well. Working on FFTA2 GG has really helped in that regard, since I have some new ideas to make things more interesting.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

snowday

Love the changes to time mage, is quarter supposed to add slow? With that, the AoE of time spells and comet, time mage is great.

captainshaw

Just wondering how you deal with EXP? I was playing FFTAX that also has scaling levels and honestly it kind of ruined the experience of training because I would gain like 3 levels in one battle and by the time I got to Baguba Port I was already level 40. The fast leveling makes it harder to control character development; I don't want to gain 10 levels when all I am doing is trying to accrue 400AP, learn 2 skills, and move on to a better job with better stat growth and distribution. and I cant keep doing dispatch missions to earn AP and learn skills as it is way too tedious.

Do you notice a similar phenomenon happening in FFTAGG?

bcrobert

I'm too lazy to reread everything. What parts are still under development at this point? Just bits and pieces for ambience? Seriously serious bug fixes? Post-game?
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Achelexus

Is there a fix to the "almost every item teaches Ramuh" glitch? I know it's minor, but it gets on my nerves :\

dck

Open the rom with the AIO editor, go to the item editor, get to an item that doesn't normally have any skills (so skillset will be zero) and click the save floppy disk button.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: adri#1824

Eternal

@Snowday: Yes, Quarter adds Slow. It's supposed to make it a little more useful than it was prior.

@Captain: EXP is handled exactly how it is in Vanilla. No large EXP gains here! The only real difference is that enemy levels scale now, so bear that in mind.

@Blanky: There's several weird bugs that need cleaned up and in general, it's not polished as to how I'd like it to be. I keep comparing it to how clean and neat FFTA2 GG is, and it just makes me want to restart from scratch with all the nice new tools that we have.  I've also been super busy with offline stuff, so it's been difficult to work on it and not get burned out.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

captainshaw

Eternal

In your dreams, maybe. :P

Just been busy with work. Besides, Darth is working on a new editor with expanded features, so I want to see what comes of that.

Deltre

Hello there, I've been playing this hack for a few days now and I wanted to throw in my two cents. Registered just to do so in fact lol so that's a pretty good sign I'd say.

If I'm being brutally honest, I wouldn't normally touch A1 with a ten foot pole, but I'm enjoying myself with this mod so far. I find myself greatly enjoying the fact that enemies can actually be somewhat threatening so far, and enemy scaling is a must in my book as far as rebalance mods go. Also, I practically shed a tear of joy when I saw then enemy actually revive one another haha. Additionally, I like the reduced AP costs on lower end skills, to help get the ball rolling a bit faster. To that end, however, I would like to suggest a few other things that may help keep up the pacing a bit. First and foremost I should say that I'm still somewhat in the beginning of the game; I'm only really now starting to unlock more advanced classes to give you an idea. If "keep playing" is the appropriate answer to any of my suggestions that's cool :p
Same goes for anything that simply isn't possible with the available modding tools.

-The first thing that stands out is that at this point, it feels like tanks take way too many hits. While I do think they should be pretty beefy, I think it may be a bit much. I would prefer if they took 5-6 or maybe even 4-5 hits (with dedicated attackers, of course) instead of 7-8 to down. Maybe this won't be as troublesome later on with better skills/equips, but right now it feels like it drags a bit much for my tastes. For example, the soldiers and warriors in one of the first clan battles (Clan Marble? I think that's the one) come to mind. I would almost go as far as to say that everyone feels too beefy by default. To that end, I would probably suggest a reduction in base HP/growth. I'm not overly familiar with the formulas in this game, but I will say that it's not particularly fun to chip away at ~180 HP of health 20-30 damage at a time. It wouldn't be as bad, but most of these guys have a way of clearing status on themselves while simultaneously healing so poison doesn't really help shave off time, and disabling status effects only put off the inevitable fact that you still need to deal all that damage. I also feel that a change like this would make players play more carefully with their mages/squishies, as right now I don't feel all that threatened by having them in range of multiple enemies at a time, if that makes sense. This is a bit tangential and possibly misinformed, but if the AI is anything like PSX FFT then perhaps less health or more damage would help prevent the AI from doing as many silly things and make the enemy more threatening, since again, if it's like PSX FFT then the AI absolutely loves to knock out units and get big damage.

-Status is insanely good. The Bard is the huge offender, and it screams "OP" to me, at least in context of the beginning of the game. MP free 4 Range sleep with 50-70% accuracy is way too good. If I may make a suggestion, Sing skills most definitely need an MP cost. Either that, or maybe move Lullaby to after the first shop upgrade? I've been able to pretty well trivialize what otherwise seem like well thought out maps just by spamming that one move. Sleep is pretty much like a temporary KO, since that unit is essentially removed from the fight for the duration. It's almost certainly always enough time to gain the upper hand, at the very least, and can be used indefinitely if I want.

-In fact, Fencer Skills need MP cost too, there's never a reason not to go for Swarmstrike, for example, since it deals 100% damage and poisons. Arts of War is probably fine as MP free, since the skills are more situational. On the whole though I think it wouldn't hurt to have small MP costs even for physical jobs, just to encourage you to strategize on when you should be busting out that special move, or if you should be trying to conserve MP to take down a particularly annoying enemy more easily.

-Viera are still insanely fast, and relatively good at everything. I know this is a playstyle thing, but I will always value speed above all else unless I'm given significant incentive not to. The extra turns will almost always make up for any kind of slight increase in defensive or offensive capabilities, since even if they don't deal as much damage as the strongest attacker, or aren't as good at magic, they can still do it twice in the same amount of time. I'm trying so hard to raise up a Bangaa, for example, but he's sitting about 2 levels lower having been deployed in more maps since everything is dead/dying by the time he really gets into the action. Also, he doesn't feel that much more durable or strong to compensate, since almost everyone takes at least 4-5 hits anyways, which is more than enough time to react to just about any situation thus far. I get that from a lore standpoint it doesn't make sense for them to be anything but fast, so maybe have them be a touch more frail on the whole? And that's coming from someone who loves using Viera in Advance/A2 haha.

-The AI does really funny things sometimes. I know the AI here won't be as good as the PSX FFT because of the limitations of the system, but I had the Antlions in White Flowers use Lv. 3 Def-Less on themselves just a few minutes ago. I know that advanced AI script rewrites probably aren't on the table, but I can't say I remember them ever deliberately debuffing themselves in vanilla.

-There are some minor text inconsistencies that I'm sure you're aware of so I won't nitpick those :p

Don't get the wrong impression though, I really like the changes I'm seeing and it's certainly more fun than vanilla ever was! The fact that I'm even talking about strategies other than "attack everything" should be a testament to that. In fact. I'm probably going to keep playing after posting this lol. Maybe I'll even change my mind about some of these as I get further, but I just wanted to put my own observations out there. Overall though, good stuff man.

Rfh

I completely agree with Deltre. I played this mod some time ago and I find these problem. Also, some unbalanced things make the game extremaly easy. Using Poison status on enemies is the way of win any battle early in game, because the poison deals more damage than an average attack! You should make 3/4 hits to down an unit instead 7-8.
When you get your first Doom inflicting skill (maybe Death Sickle)  the game loses all difficult. I only need to doom every unit and I will finish the battle 20 times faster than dealing damage. And nothing to say about instant petrify skills...

Please, you should make the game less stalling and remove instant KO skills.

Two things more:
- In lategame, wizards with a strengh elemental item a Magic Atk+ ability only needs 1 or two hits to kill an unit.
- The game freezes when an unit uses Auto-Regen reaction
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: rfh

Eternal

Right now time is pretty scarce, so it's been hard to work on anything, much less FFTA, heh.

To make a potentially long post very short, I'm in the planning stages of just completely rebooting FFTA GG, namely because it's kind of a mess right now since it was started when FFTA modding was very dirty and a lot of stuff was duct taped together. Ultimately, I'd be remaking it to be cleaner, better balanced, and more fun with the findings that have been discovered since FFTA modding first began. The challenge is that it takes a lot of time, and as I mentioned above, time is very scarce for me at the moment. Statuses are a truly tricky thing to play with in FFTA, but you can be assured that I've taken note of everything that's been posted. Much like in FFTA2 GG, I want to get rid of most instant KO statuses and make existing statuses more useful/better balanced in different ways.

ziligan14

Greenclonk

I've downloaded this patch and tried to use it, but it didn't patch correctly.

Some of the things that I've noticed on my file was that the shop had most items at weird prices, mainly 1500.
I then checked, on a video about the mod, how much they should be worth and saw that in the second tutorial that every unit had way less HP. On mine they each had more than 80 and on the correctly patched, they had less than 60.

Does anyone know what could have caused this? I tried this on two different PC and with three different patch versions (0.993, 0.992, 0.99) and while the result were kind of different, they were still not what should have happened.

I have no idea what could give me different results.

Eternal

So, to answer your question, the changelog on here is pretty outdated. Many of the things in the original post were changed since its inception. As it stands, right now I'm laying out the groundwork to get this back up and running. There are a few challenges (namely time), but I think the next version of GG is going to stick more to its initial roots instead of the direction it was headed before. Ultimately, some of the changes were messy (mostly because of lack of customization with FFTA, opposed to FFT/FFTA2), and I don't like things that aren't clean.

Greenclonk

Well, thanks for answering. I guess I'll be waiting for a playable version then, I've been wanting to replay that game since a while and this was going to be a good reason to.