• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 09:25:33 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Favorite Final Fantasy

Started by Smitson, December 01, 2009, 06:28:18 pm

Favorite Final Fantasy

I
0 (0%)
II
1 (1.8%)
III
1 (1.8%)
IV
6 (10.7%)
V
3 (5.4%)
VI
8 (14.3%)
VII
13 (23.2%)
VIII
5 (8.9%)
IX
12 (21.4%)
X
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: December 02, 2009, 03:37:50 pm

philsov

December 11, 2009, 09:48:55 am #60 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
That's... usually the role of the main character in an RPG -- he's more or less an observer of everything that goes around him.  This is most noted in both 10 and 12 where the blonde guy main character has no clue wtf is going on half the time.  

QuoteTerra never made a decision throughout the entire game, with the sole exception of helping the children in the WoR.

Which is the only time she's able to, since she's no longer the primary character.  Notice how Celes does absolutely nothing in WoR except try to kill herself (I know I can let Cid live, but I just love the dramatics) at the very start?
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

LastingDawn

December 11, 2009, 04:19:58 pm #61 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm? In the World of Ruin she reunites with Edgar and Setzer in her attempts to find Locke and stop Kefka. You don't have a party you can switch around until after you reach the Airship. She talks Setzer out of his slump and aids Edgar in freeing Figaro.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Wasabi

December 11, 2009, 06:26:24 pm #62 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
Voted X. Call me a sap for enjoying the plot of the game. The mechanics sucked, but was decent for a turn-based rpg. X-2 is easily despised, but I found that it held its own in following up with X's ending somewhat well.

Second would be VI, but only because I enjoy Celes being the show stealer. Terra can eat it. :P

woodenbandman

December 11, 2009, 07:49:32 pm #63 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by woodenbandman
My opinion is the exact opposite of yours on the subject of FFX.

SilvasRuin

December 11, 2009, 07:58:31 pm #64 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
And I just plain hated X.

I liked X-2 because it is one of the few games with a "fluid" job system.  That is to say, I like being able to choose what job my character has at any given point in the game without just being picky about what abilities they use after they learn them all.  That and I love Dark Knights when they aren't made to suck.  FFX-2 Dark Knights definitely didn't suck.

Cue Dark Knight rant!
I despise Lanistas from FFTA2 with a passion, and the change FFIV DS made to Darkness was disheartening.  A toggle that lasted the whole battle would have been better, especially if it didn't take a turn, but I only rarely bothered to ever use it in that version.  I similarly despise FFXII's Souleater.  That is unless someone can tell me a method to make it actually deal worthwhile damage...  WoTL's Dark Knights are too dang powerful to actually be able to appreciate them, as are all the sword skill units.  FFIII DS's Dark Knights sadly just didn't get to see much use.  They're more fragile than the other melee classes, and being fragile tends to be a very bad thing in that game.  That and Ninjas are absurdly good and you just can't beat a Knight for tank purposes.

Eternal

December 11, 2009, 08:35:42 pm #65 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Final Fantasy III's Dark Knights can deal tremendous damage to the enemy's party, heavily damaging them or just outright killing them in one fell swoop. I never used it in my first playthrough, but Darkness and Jump are extremely useful.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dominic NY18

December 11, 2009, 10:54:49 pm #66 Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:20:15 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"Cue Dark Knight rant!
I despise Lanistas from FFTA2 with a passion, and the change FFIV DS made to Darkness was disheartening.  A toggle that lasted the whole battle would have been better, especially if it didn't take a turn, but I only rarely bothered to ever use it in that version.

There were plenty of times I used Darkness in FFIV DS. Even early in the game, it makes some battles a joke (Octomammoth). I'd think that a toggle that lasts all battle would be inconvenient, unless you have the option to turn it off. Which of course means another turn wasted by turning it off.

QuoteWoTL's Dark Knights are too dang powerful to actually be able to appreciate them, as are all the sword skill units.

I was going to go on a response rant about how DK's don't really eclipse any of the other sword skill using units until I saw the bolded :)

My complaint about them revolves around the job requirements. For those of you who don't know, the Dark Knight requirements are:
Master Knight = 3750 JP
Master Black Mage = 7200 JP (JP costs are slightly higher in WotL compared to the NA original)
Level 8 Geomancer/Dragoon/Ninja/Samurai = 12,000 JP (job levels requirements are steeper after job level 2 in WotL too)

So basically, you need 22,950 JP to unlock them. And that's without factoring in the JP needed to unlock all of the "required" job classes. I know they're powerful, but unless you grind like a madman, you'll likely be steamrolling over everything by the time you get close to unlocking them.

Silvas, if being too powerful means you can't fully appreciate them, then does that mean you don't fully appreciate FFX-2's Dark Knights? I haven't played it in awhile, but as far as I remember, they were pretty damn powerful.

SilvasRuin

December 12, 2009, 01:46:42 am #67 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Sword skillers are just that much MORE powerful than almost anything else in FFT than the DKs of FFX-2 were of the other jobs in that game.  Songstress wasn't half bad if you unlocked their best abilities, Black Mage and Warrior could abuse elemental weaknesses where DK could not, Berserker is the best for rapid attacks, Gunners have Trigger Happy, which is the most powerful ability in the game if set up right, and of course you've got White Mage and Alchemist which can heal and so are very much needed in combination to the Dark Knight.  (Even if you give every DK the accessory that nullifies mp/hp costs, the hardest enemies in the game demand you have a healer.)

Basically they make everything else obsolete in FFT.  They do no such thing in FFX-2.  (Though they are quite powerful.)  The only way they even approach making everything else obsolete is that Darkness is unblockable.  That doesn't really save you against the enemies found in that via infinito dungeon.

Dominic NY18

December 12, 2009, 03:03:53 am #68 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
- Black Mages lose their luster later in the game as more enemies without elemental weaknesses show up.
- Warriors suffer from the above problem and don't have a single multi-target attack.
- Berserkers' defenses are lacking, leaving them somewhat frail despite their HP.
- Are you referring to critical HP Gunner + Cat Nip? Awesome, but leaves you extremely vulnerable.

As for the other three you mentioned, those are more support oriented jobs that can't really be compared directly with DKs.

I never said that DKs made everything else useless in X-2. What I did say was that they are powerful. A physical attack or two was enough to kill most normal enemies, status spells could make other enemies a joke, and of course there was multi-target, defense ignoring, hard-hitting Darkness. They have high HP and defenses, so they could take plenty of blows. The only area I remember them lacking in was speed (agility?). And on top of all of that, they could become resistant to several dangerous statuses (Death, Stone, and Confuse come to mind). Combine them with a good support unit and you're golden.

Yeah you could use other job classes, but you could say the same for FFT and its sword skill users. The only thing that kept me from using a party of 2 DKs and an Alchemist was that the setup became stale and made things a little too easy at times.

I'm shocked you didn't mention the Mascot though... :)

SilvasRuin

December 12, 2009, 03:24:59 am #69 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Mascot doesn't even need to be mentioned.  It trumps everything else due to having multiple ability sets available, Ribbon, and other such goodies.

Kaijyuu

December 12, 2009, 03:52:44 am #70 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "philsov"That's... usually the role of the main character in an RPG -- he's more or less an observer of everything that goes around him.
There's a difference between the character not knowing what's going on and not showing much care about it. Terra's a puppet until the WoR, like LD said. And she plays a puppet well.

She's got an interesting backstory and has a large effect on the story. The game just doesn't show much of her personality in it, so she seems kinda flat. If she had more scenes where she did something of her own accord, it might be different. Instead all the scenes she's got are the kids and the ending. There's the boat scene with Leo too, but it doesn't show much other than her confusion.
That's all I'm saying.

PS: Any story that's remotely character driven that has a passive main character is at a severe disadvantage. If everyone else is making all the decisions, the main character's about as interesting as a wooden plank. A character can be as deep as an ocean, but if they don't actually do anything, no one cares about them.
  • Modding version: PSX

DarkxFatal

December 14, 2009, 06:27:51 pm #71 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarkxFatal
Whew..A few things to say..

My favorite (numerical) FF's:

1. FF XII (Damn Yiazmat though.... >=( )
2. FF VII
3. FF III

Concerning what Dominic NY18 said about Dark Knights for FFT: WotL :

Dark Knight's aren't necessarily over-powered (like you kind of said)
Depending on when you decide to grind (if you grind) the JP for it, you're level is naturally going to be high (Level 95 at Algus -Death Knight anybody?)

Of course with a higher level, the storyline enemies are going to be easy because they stay the same level (The highest level was..what? Around 50?)

This means, you could very well do a DK Ramza solo through the entire game (With the necessary status guarding equips).

But it by no rights, means the Dark Knight class is over-powered. If you do the degenerator trick down to level 1 (As a DK for the best results)

You will very well see that they don't do too much damage (Depending on the weapon you use >_> )

Concerning what SilvasRuin said in general about Dark Knights:

In FF III, Dark Knight's were very useful. Especially when you fought those monsters that split when you hit them. Of course, you could always grind to a level where you can OHK them, but DK's swords negate that effect (that's what they say at least)

Sure, their defense/vitality never got very high unlike Knights or Dragoons, but the Dark Knights could equip the Genji Armor (which you get in that Dark Knight cave place)

As far as I remember, the only other class that could equip Genji armor was the Ninja/Shinobi class? I could be wrong though, I haven't played for a while.

I played as a DK Luneth ever since I got the job and he has been awesome. He always did/had high damage outputs, and even though he tended to take a bit more damage than Knights/Dragoons, he was a bit faster than them and I believe could dodge better as well!

Sure, a couple times a Dragoon would have been better (Garuda pissed me off a few times) or where a Knight's high Vitality/Defense would have been useful (I believe...Goldor (that..gold guy >_< forget the name..)). But DK's has always helped me fight some tough bosses.

Though personally..My favorite class in FF III is a tie between Master Monk, and Ninja.

Master Monk has average Speed, High Vit and very good attack unarmed (when you get a high Job level)

Ninja's had High Speed, Average Attack, and a little better Vit growth (Though no way near Knight's or even DK's levels).

Then again...Ninja's could equip the Genji armor.... =/
  • Discord username: Tristan#9682

LastingDawn

December 14, 2009, 08:25:13 pm #72 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
My personal favorite class was the Ranger in FFIII, they can deal over 9,999 Damage (though it's not displayed) with their Barrage skill at high levels, it's very much worth it to train one up just for that.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Asmo X

December 14, 2009, 10:05:05 pm #73 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Viking w/2 shields and taunting every round. Broken as fuck. I abused that setup for the last 50% of the game I think. Doesn't work 100% of the time but close enough to it.

DarkxFatal

December 15, 2009, 07:00:10 pm #74 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarkxFatal
Huh??

Viking with 2 shields?..Hm...Very good...Especially with a shield that can block Status Effects, like Aegis Shield..

I used to do solo's with a Red Mage, dual shields =/..Quick levels though =)

Knox

December 15, 2009, 07:04:02 pm #75 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Knox
FF8, best storyline by far, best characters by far and pretty much love it overall.
Liked the battle system and weapons system alot, though i missed equiping armors and stuff.
But then again it was a nice change of pace from always changing your equipment, to rejunctioning GF's.

I can't be like hey FORGET you guys, FF8 is the best and you're too stupid to realize it, so I'll just say as it is the truth; Only my opinion :D
~Auranhiem

DarkxFatal

December 15, 2009, 08:54:54 pm #76 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarkxFatal
Haa..I liked FF 8. I probably would like it more if I could play through the game..I was pretty far on the actual PS1..Then the disk somehow broke D:

But now I have it downloaded on ePSXe..Though I'm too busy playing FFt, FF 1, FF 2, and FF 9 =P

But the Limit Breaks were unique for FF 8 :D..Lion Heart FTW? ^^

SolidSnakeDog

December 15, 2009, 09:58:17 pm #77 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SolidSnakeDog
FF8 is REALLY underated. (Has FFVII is WAY overated but i played it and enjoyed it myself.I even traded my FFVIII game to get FFVII but later i taken FFVIII back.)
Many says this game is the worst FF.
Comon this can't be worse that XIII...($$$$$$$)
But one thing i hated about it that is wen you are on the final disk and you are on the world map, you can't enter any towns anymore. (Protected by a...force field or something? Probably done because the disks memory was limited at that time.)

And my disks got the problem at freezing at cutscenes making the game unplayable sadly.

By the way what do you think about the FFXIV? Will this be a FAIL or a WIN?

Zenius

December 15, 2009, 10:03:05 pm #78 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zenius
I thought you couldn't enter towns because of the time compression thing

SolidSnakeDog

December 15, 2009, 10:08:01 pm #79 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SolidSnakeDog
Quote from: "Zenius"I thought you couldn't enter towns because of the time compression thing

Your right actually...i just did not remember exatly wy.
Now i know.