• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 05:43:43 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Maps

Started by Xifanie, September 29, 2007, 10:23:24 am

gomtuu

February 16, 2008, 07:41:18 pm #60 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Cheetah"So the map looks a little garbled, is that just the angle?

I'm don't know why that is. :( The maps store information about when to make certain polygons disappear (see explanation of cutaway mode), so I'm guessing that the wrong cutaway info is getting loaded. But I'm not sure why that would be...

-Don

Xifanie

February 16, 2008, 09:49:38 pm #61 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Unable to use monolithic texture. Trying separate textures instead.
Whoever looks like the routine ended up with a break instead.

Besides what Cheetah mentioned, it's working awfully good.

Good job man.

And IMHO don't try too hard to make it work with my 8mb video card kay? I can just use another computer.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

gomtuu

February 16, 2008, 10:30:24 pm #62 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Zodiac"Unable to use monolithic texture. Trying separate textures instead.
Whoever looks like the routine ended up with a break instead.

Besides what Cheetah mentioned, it's working awfully good.

Good job man.

I'm confused. You said "the routine ended up with a break", which sounds like it didn't work, but then you said it worked well. And Cheetah was talking about something else (the screenshot I took using a hacked ISO in an emulator). Are you saying you're seeing "garbled" maps like that, but with map2gl?

QuoteAnd IMHO don't try too hard to make it work with my 8mb video card kay? I can just use another computer.

If it works now, then... too late! :)

gomtuu

February 17, 2008, 03:42:21 am #63 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Coming soon...

Xifanie

February 17, 2008, 07:31:57 am #64 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Looks nice! Is that just a palette swap?

It did on my mother's comp but not on this one.

With a 128mb card I didn't notice much slowdown. I tested and I got up to 3 full turn around per second with your rotating function.

By the way I still have no way of resizing at all.still just closes openGL for me.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

gomtuu

February 17, 2008, 09:50:50 am #65 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Zodiac"Looks nice! Is that just a palette swap?

It isn't just a hack, if that's what you mean. :(

Quote from: "Zodiac"With a 128mb card I didn't notice much slowdown. I tested and I got up to 3 full turn around per second with your rotating function.

With the 128MB card, you don't see the "Unable to use monolithic texture. Trying separate textures instead." warning, do you? If you don't see that warning, then it's running in monolithic texture mode (the default), which is the faster of the two modes.

Quote from: "Zodiac"By the way I still have no way of resizing at all.still just closes openGL for me.

A few versions ago, I added some code that should print a more helpful error message than the default one. Can you tell me what it says now when you try to resize?

Xifanie

February 17, 2008, 11:20:00 am #66 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Actually I was asking if the game only loaded another palette instead. But you answered it anyway.

Resizing manually and clicking enlarge doesn't provide me any errors.

Only minimize does:
Tried to divide by zero.
Aspect: 0.000000, W: 0.000000, H: 1.000000

Obviously those happen no matter how I try to resize/minimize the window.

Cheetah

February 19, 2008, 01:03:52 am #67 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
This is really cool stuff about the weather conditions. It is pretty crazy that they have all these weather conditions for maps, and then didn't use many of them. Are there any settings for snowy weather, or is snow only on the specific levels that have snow normally?
Current Projects:

gomtuu

February 19, 2008, 08:43:56 am #68 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
No, snow doesn't seem to be a weather condition in this sense. To make a map snowy, you'd need to edit the texture palettes at the very least, but to get it to look good, you'd probably need to edit the textures as well.

Hmm... Now that you mention it, I can't remember: Do the snowy maps ever actually have snow falling (like the raindrops on rainy maps), or is it just that the ground looks snowy?

Anyway, besides the weather conditions, for the next version I'm working on swtiching from GLUT to wxPython as the window environment. The benefit is that I'll be able to add a menu bar with File > Open and such, hopefully eliminating the need to run map2gl from the command line. I'll also be able to add GUI stuff for easier controls and a more informative display. wxPython is supposed to be cross-platform, too, so it shouldn't pin it to a specific OS. I think it's fairly likely that it'll also fix Zodiac's resizing problem.

I've already made some good progress on this, but I need to re-implement the keyboard and mouse controls at least before I release it.

gomtuu

February 21, 2008, 09:52:15 pm #69 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Another release. This version might be a little shaky; I'm still getting the hang of wxPython. But I've already added some nifty features thanks to wxPython like a file chooser, an information window that shows (and lets you double-click to load) the different weather conditions the map has (just listed by the numeric indexes as found in the GNS files for now), and a camera window that shows the camera altitude and azimuth angles.

You should no longer need to run map2gl from the command line, provided Python associated itself with .py files when you installed it. You still can, though. Same as before, except you don't specify the map path and map number anymore. Just "python map2gl.py".

You'll need to install wxPython to use it. The Python 2.5 Unicode version is probably what you want.

Let me know if you have any trouble with it. Zodiac, I think there's a good chance this will fix your window resizing problem, since the code that reports the window size works completely differently.

Xifanie

February 22, 2008, 07:46:17 pm #70 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Nice! DD works properly now (because of weather conditions) and Entrance to Murond works as well. =D

Well the first weather does. :/

This is worth every bit I download even if I have dial-up.

gomtuu

February 22, 2008, 11:33:35 pm #71 Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 11:39:32 pm by gomtuu
Ah, I hadn't even noticed that about the Deep Dungeon maps. Cool! While testing them, I always switched to full ambient lighting mode, so I didn't see any difference.

Yep, map 53 works partially in 0.15, and even better in my current development version because I've improved the way map2gl figures out what to load and from which files. I also recently discovered a block of data in some map files that has to do with positioning and rotating animated polygons like the windmill's blades and gears, so that's what I'll be working on for the next release.

-Don

Xifanie

February 22, 2008, 11:38:00 pm #72 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Sounds promising

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, is there any way to have the correct zoom display? so that I can see every pixel at 90˚ alt and not blurry.

gomtuu

February 22, 2008, 11:43:47 pm #73 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Oh, you mean so the texture pixels are 1:1 with screen pixels when viewed straight-on? Yeah, that's probably not to difficult, actually. I'll see what I can do.

Xifanie

February 23, 2008, 08:04:35 am #74 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Yeah... I have trouble finding the right words lately. <_<'

gomtuu

February 24, 2008, 12:19:16 am #75 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
I've got animated polygons implemented, at least for most of the simple animations. Finally! There are apparently some more complex polygon animations that I haven't really scratched the surface of yet, but here's a peek.

gomtuu

February 24, 2008, 02:48:30 pm #76 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
By the way, from looking at the source for fftpspext.c on Google Code it looks like the GNS files haven't been identified in fftpack.bin yet. I think I found them. I'm attaching a file that lists the first line of each GNS file I found. I don't know which file is which or how long each one is yet, though.

The format is a little different from the PSX version, which isn't surprising since the PSX GNS files point at the resource files by their LBA addresses on the CD, and that probably doesn't translate well to the PSP. Also, there are 123 of them whereas the PSX CD has 121.

I'd like to see if I can make map2gl read the PSP maps eventually. It'd be interesting to compare them, and I'd like to know what those 2 extra maps are.

-Don

Cheetah

February 24, 2008, 03:13:09 pm #77 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Those are amazing screen shots Gomtuu. Having it zoom to show the correct resolution was definitely a must. I am definitely curious about those two new maps as well.
Current Projects:

NeXaR

February 24, 2008, 05:27:50 pm #78 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeXaR
Those extra maps probably are related to Balthier or other "extra" sidequest on the PSP version.

gomtuu

February 24, 2008, 11:30:41 pm #79 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
NeXaR: That's what I'm thinking, but I don't really remember any new maps from what I've played of the PSP version. It's been a while, though.

Here's the latest version. It includes a better data-finding algorithm (so map053 works better), basic support for animated meshes, and a new "in-game zoom" mode, which closely approximates the zoom level I measured in epsxe. It's not actually a 1:1 texel-to-screen-pixel ratio (it's 5:7, to be exact), but it's what the game uses, which I figure is more meaningful.