• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 08:05:11 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Game crashing during battle - opcode error

Started by Choto, August 08, 2011, 08:27:56 am

Choto

Hello, I've been messing around with patches and FFTorgasm trying to make whatever changes my heart desires, but i keep getting an opcode error at different points, usually during battle. It is the same opcode error that Dome was getting when boco was attacking that i found in another thread. I tried to upload the screenshot but i'm not sure how to. the message says: COP0 Opcode 11 UNK.

Is this an error that's usually related to ASM hacks or FFTpatcher? A couple times I made changes to an existing 1.3 patch or easytype patch (The random unit gear goes with story progression hack in particular) and i remember hearing that modding existing patches often causes problems. If this is the problem, would there be a secure way to use these patches as a framework and still make my own changes to them?

Eternal

That's what happened to me when one of the ASMs I used had an extra 0 in the line. You may want to reinspect what ASMs you used and post them on here.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Choto

I see, I'll try to post it up later on if i can figure out how... What i'm curious about though is the correct way to patch using FFTpatcher and FFTorgasm. Is it generally good practice to apply ASM hacks to a fresh ISO and then proceed with FFTpatcher.. or vice versa?

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Choto

August 09, 2011, 09:17:01 am #4 Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:52:00 am by Choto
Well, now my problem went from bad to worse, for some reason my epsxe (V1.7) is freezing at the squaresoft screen. I've tried deleting and reinstalling epsxe, the bios, the plugins, and the iso but the problem persists. At first i tried doing file>run bios, and the game would crash after 10 seconds or so with another opcode error. Now with schph1001 that doesn't happen, but the game still crashes... anybody ever experience this issue?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I can't even play the game anymore :(

Edit: I found a thread involving somebody who's iso was freezing at the squaresoft screen. I think it's either a plugin problem or a version problem. What version is the best to use with patched FFT Iso's?

Kokojo

I could tell you something drastic. Take a clean copy of FFT, use CDmage on it. Search the files until you find Battle.bin, extract it, then Scus_*something* and extract it too. Import them in your ISO. This will reverse about any ASM hacks you've put in.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Choto

August 09, 2011, 12:34:13 pm #6 Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:17:15 pm by Choto
Worth a shot I guess, i'll experiment tonight and see if i can't fix it up. Thanks! What makes me nervous though is that I saved the .rar so that I can extract a clean ISO with no hacks.

Update: Seems like the sound plugin was causing the crash... I checked "sound enabled" and its working fine... go figure! Thanks for the help though guys, feel free to close the topic