• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Trying to replace Ninja's Throw with Juggler's Dagger, here's as far as I got

Started by Reshki, July 03, 2021, 11:29:37 am

Reshki

So within FFTA AIO Editor I made all of Throw's attribute match Dagger's even down to the name, description, damage, disable effect, and animation being the same as Dagger. In game it shows the new name, new AP Cost, new description, everything. The only part of it that is maddening is that it still consumes an item, it still makes you pick a weapon to throw.

Is there a way to completely replace Throw with Dagger and it work properly??
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

FlamingZelda

Hi, Is there a way you can just put Dagger in the ninja's moveset instead of Throw? With some moves (Throw Control and Doomarcher come to mind) have a hardcoded subroutine which seems to be indicated/called by the move's index number.

Reshki

Quote from: FlamingZelda on July 06, 2021, 04:58:47 pmHi, Is there a way you can just put Dagger in the ninja's moveset instead of Throw? With some moves (Throw Control and Doomarcher come to mind) have a hardcoded subroutine which seems to be indicated/called by the move's index number.

I'm not sure. I tried just everything i could think of. I made the ability match Dagger completely in FFTA AIO Editor. I also tried editing the skill in the Ninja job itself but nothing worked entirely. The closest I got was making it look like the ability dagger with the same animation and effect of disable when hit. But even though it looks right it still makes you select a weapon to throw. Not sure what else could be done.

FlamingZelda

A couple things worth a try:
Image I couldn't figure out how to upload directly

1.Under the flags menu (second menu on the ability edit screen) you can disable the "throw/hurl" flag.
2.Change the Human Race moveset to include Dagger instead of Throw. This means you wouldn't need to open the ability menu at all or even bother changing Throw.

Reshki

Quote from: FlamingZelda on July 07, 2021, 04:14:08 pmA couple things worth a try:
Image I couldn't figure out how to upload directly

1.Under the flags menu (second menu on the ability edit screen) you can disable the "throw/hurl" flag.
2.Change the Human Race moveset to include Dagger instead of Throw. This means you wouldn't need to open the ability menu at all or even bother changing Throw.

Yo that could be it!! The flags of course! I've edited the flags for other abilities idk why I didn't think to look there. I will try this thank you!

ScarletMagi

You absolutely don't need to change one skill into another for a specific job from the skill editor.
In fact, you might be making things worse for yourself by doing so.
If you have multiple skills that are called the same, you might get confused once it's time to work on the skillsets.
If you already have the skill you need, simply give it to the job from the job editor.

Here's how I would go about giving Throw back to the Ninja instead of Dagger in my mod:

Use the skill editor only to create new skills, instead of to modify a skillset. If you get deep into a mod project, you are gonna want those precious skill slots for any custom skills you might have in mind.