• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:25:49 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

WoTL SCC Problems

Started by dw6561, May 31, 2015, 11:37:11 pm

dw6561

So I have the iOS version of War Of the Lions, and I have attempted some SCCs on it. Unfortunately, there is one fight that they plastered right before you fight Zalera that has consistently given me problems.

We all know that Argath is a jerk. What the heck were they thinking when they made that fight? When I attempted it with white mages, I was not surprised to find difficulty because the demons are immune to holy and Argath has 25 faith, mirror mail, and Critical: Recover HP. I had to BRING IN ORLANDEAU, who still did less damage then was necessary to kill him without knocking him into critical. I was so ashamed about breaking the rules that I quit. This was also the stopping point for my oracle SCC for the same reasons.

When I used Monks, I did not expect to see the same problems. But we still can't do enough damage in one turn to outpace his healing. In fact, the only SCC I have successfully beaten this fight in as of date is geomancer, by way of geomancy status effects. I want to know if anyone else has attempted an SCC on War of the Lions like this, and if anyone absolutely loathes this fight as much as I do.

• Modding version: PSX
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

dw6561

Ok, so I got past the fight with monks by equipping power garb and bracer to everyone. I did not have to grind at all. I'm still ticked off that I couldn't beat it with priests or oracles, although I suspect oracle is doable because you have sticks and you can drain HP from the demons if necessary.

Jumza

Sounds like tough work for Priests. Oracles might have it better if it weren't for their low low chance to hit everything with spells. Monks sounds like it wouldn't be too bad though, because they can heal / revive and don't need MP.
SCC's are actually very interesting, I've tried one or two myself but I've never been very successful. Any tips?
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

dw6561

It depends on which one you're doing. SCCs in general require a lot of problem solving, playing around with equipment, and getting lucky with the RNG. Just be patient and don't be afraid to grind or try outlandish things. For example, I remember that in order to beat Roof of Riovanes Castle on my samurai run, I had to remove all of my armor so that the assassins would target me instead of Rafa. Additionally, you might find that Velius is not necessarily the hardest fight. It's usually Adramelk and Balk II that are most problematic. You'll also want to exploit quirks in the AI as needed, like death sentencing yourself (with death protection) or the loss strategy (confusing yourself so that the enemy doesn't attack you). 

I have beaten Wizard, Summoner, and Lancer on ps1 and Geomancer on WoTL so far. I am currently working on a samurai SCC on ps1 and a Monk SCC on WoTL. I've also attempted Oracle and Priest which both ended in the same place, and Mediator which fell apart at the Velius fight. Which SCCs have you tried? Maybe I can give some more specific strategies.

Jumza

Do you have any advice for SCC's with jobs that can't normally heal themselves? I see you've done Wizard, Lancer and went pretty far with Mediator.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

dw6561

Stay away, use as much evasion as possible, equip angel rings as soon as they become available, and let the enemy come to you. Do everything in your power to keep the enemy from attacking you. You should team up on casters and try to kill them before the spell resolves, or redirect the spell if you have low faith. You may have to reset if an enemy spawns with an annoying secondary (like the priest in Murond spawning with math skill). Also, one thing you will learn to hate is crush punch's dead procs.

Mediator: Use threaten and mimic daravon to keep the enemy from attacking you. A string of invites helps too. It gets easier once you get guns, but my problem with Velius was that Mythril guns only deal 64 damage and the demons wreck you with giga flare.

Lancer: Stay far away and in the air early game, and redirect spells. You can hit each other from the front late game to trigger dragon spirit. Also, a weird thing I discovered that let me win on Altima despite Grand Cross hitting is that berserked and confused lancers will still jump on their targets.

Wizard: When there is a caster who is casting a big spell like fire 4, team up on them with smaller spells to kill them before it hits. Counter magic, bolt, and rubber shoes lets you get multiple castings in on one turn. Also, spell guns trigger counter magic, so Balk I was easy.