• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:19:31 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

MIDI to SMD v0.5: FFT Music Converter

Started by pokeytax, March 21, 2013, 07:38:09 pm

pokeytax

March 21, 2013, 07:38:09 pm Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:41:03 pm by Nyzer
This is an Excel workbook (Excel-only, OpenOffice won't work) that converts MIDI files (.mid) to SMD files (.SMD), which FFT can play.

It is not finished, and 10% of what you put in will come out unlistenable, but for a lot of songs it sounds... surprisingly nice.  If you apply the patch and select New Game, that will give you an idea of what an ambitious MIDI sounds like right now.  Or just listen to the .mp3, which I recorded out of pSX: Test SMD

Important notes:
- You're going to get a bum instrument once in a while.  I might be able to sort these out, or it might have to be done in "post-production".
- The files are rather large and the sound is tinny.  You may need to overwrite one of the larger tracks to get even a small MIDI to fit.  Again, still under construction.

Instructions:
Open the notebook and change the file path as desired.  You can either leave the "Y" in the yellow box to have the spreadsheet automatically spit out an .xml file which will tell FFTorgASM to overwrite MUSIC99 into the same directory, or leave it blank and just let the spreadsheet produce raw hex.  Run the "Convert" macro.  If you didn't choose XML, copy the hex and overwrite an existing file using a hex editor, then use CDMage to import that file back to your FFT ISO.  Leaving the remainder of the existing file in there is fine, there's no need to zero it.

If you're going to be trying a bunch of midis, I suggest just plopping this into your FFTorgASM folder to streamline the process.  Change path, run macro, run FFTorgASM.

I thoughtlessly neglected to mention before that this is really little more than an implementation of the excellent work gomtuu did on this a while back.  I'm not sure if anyone else helped, but if so, thanks to them as well!

EDIT: Fixed some critical bugs with sustained notes and instrumentation.  It's sounding much improved.
3/3/2014 EDIT: I fixed a really stupid bug that threw errors sometimes, although the hex output was still okay. However, I'm not certain what's causing fdc's bug without seeing the midi file. I will be back in a month or two when my schedule is clearer to see if people are still having issues.

03/Dec/2020 NYZER EDIT: Fixed a bug in the macro that caused an issue when running the Convert macro. DO NOT change the file name or it'll return. Kept the original file as the one labeled "(Old)". Also added some further instructions in the Control Panel to help anyone who might not be familiar with Excel macros.
  • Modding version: PSX

Pride

Need a like button for this. I hope the quality continues to improve, awesome work ^_^
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Elric

This is an amazing find, Great work Pokeytax! I know it's still got some bugs, but the fact that we can do it at all now
is a HUGE step up and I'm sure many people will enjoy this.
:more:

Jumza

Dang, Pokeytax is there anything you can't do? This is so cool!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Choto

Quote from: Pride on March 21, 2013, 08:20:11 pm
Need a like button for this. I hope the quality continues to improve, awesome work ^_^

I propose like buttons with associated values. This gets +1000. Gotta get my composing boots on!

pokeytax

Thanks, guys.  Like I said, though, it's really just someone else's notes.  I hardly did any ASM at all.

It's been vastly improved since the first version and a lot of stuff sounds quite good.  The OP now includes a much more ambitious track.  It's not a perfect rendition, but it gives you a good idea of where we are at now.

Celdia

Someone else making notes is great and all but if they never did anything with them then it doesn't count for much. You're doing something with it and it can be used by others. Take your kudos, good sir. You earned them.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Elric

Quote from: Celdia on March 23, 2013, 02:05:11 pm
Someone else making notes is great and all but if they never did anything with them then it doesn't count for much. You're doing something with it and it can be used by others. Take your kudos, good sir. You earned them.

^^ Exactly this.

Just listened to the test song btw and it sounds great, would make some epic boss music

Jumza

Quote from: Elric on March 23, 2013, 03:25:31 pm
Just listened to the test song btw and it sounds great, would make some epic boss music

That's because it is :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGmBKYI02yQ
(I'm sure you knew that though :) )
This is so boss Pokeytax, you deserve every compliment you get for sure.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Elric

Yep I knew what it was from, but it could easily be used for another epic boss other than Sephy :P

Jumza

I always thought that Ghetsis' theme from pokemon black / white (and BW2) was a rip off of Sephiroths, mostly because of the chanting, too bad no pokemon boss could ever be as epic as sephiroth.

Elric

I've still never played passed Silver/Gold (unless you count Leafgreen and Firered)
But Yeah Pokemon VS. Sephiroth XD

formerdeathcorps

September 21, 2013, 11:04:30 pm #12 Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:32:11 pm by formerdeathcorps
I tried it with a .mid file from a song I wrote, Excel threw an exception error (Error 1004, Application or object-defined error.)  Not sure if this is relevant, but the overwrite process deletes the orgASM header.

Next i

Sort notes by timestamp.

Range("F1").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("MID").Sort.SortFields.Clear
->    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("MID").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range(Cells(1, 6), Cells(CursorCmd - 1, 6)), _
        SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal <- (Breaks here)
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("MID").Sort
        .SetRange Range(Cells(1, 6), Cells(CursorCmd - 1, 13))
        .Header = xlGuess
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Heisho

Hello everyone, I'm new in this and would like to know if thereĀ“s a specific way to open the file on excel, because I used Excel 07 and 10 and it says the following

" This workbook has lost its VBA project, ActiveX controls and any other programmability-related features."

Any clue regarding this?

Thanks in advance
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

CONMAN

February 09, 2017, 12:35:31 pm #14 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:59:50 pm by CONMAN
I forgot about this topic completely!  I'm going to play around with this Heisho and I'll let you know what I find.  My excel skills have gone from poor to bad over the years, but I'll try any way.

EDIT:  I downloaded and opened this sheet.  If I remember right I was simply given the option to enable things...  I changed the file path. I pulled up view macro's and ran "convert".  Excel kind of freaked out and spit out a "music99" excel sheet and an xml sheet.  on a clean iso I attempted to patch twice (2 ct songs). I tried the first one on music27 (world map music). I did this because I figured I could test it faster.  It came out terrible- like a single beep every five seconds.  I tried again and got a quiet drum beat sort of sound.  The second one was shorter- after it finished the first song started to beep again (obvious once I heard it).  Once both songs ended the game froze.  Probably to long of a song I used?  I may keep messing around and try to find some music that comes out better...   

EDIT 2: tried again with a remix of ct frog's theme. It came out great, but was a little too high pitched for me.

Heisho

Hey thanks for the reply man. Maybe I need to check my installed version since I removed a lo of things when installing Office for space sake. I'll try to give a try later since i just found the tunes I was looking for.

I'll keep you posted.
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

Dollface

September 22, 2018, 12:00:40 pm #16 Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:22:29 pm by Dollface
i'm new to this site, and my terrible english don't help(biggest problem for me), but I wanted understood, how can you use FFTOrgASM Generator
to make others archives? I don't understand Excel's use, XML's use... I read and read multiple times, but I don't understand. What to do that archives?
Can you make a special tutorial for me? (Video preference) ~Thank you for your time! 
DollfaceDarkside
  • Discord username: Lucas de Gavina

Basil

June 13, 2019, 11:28:49 pm #17 Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:53:25 am by Basil
Hello!

How are you all, my name is Basil and I've been lurking around the place for several years now. I'm really astonished to see you guys have gone so far with moding fft. Now, what made me sign up today was because i've recently found Conman's youtube channel (btw if you read this: I like your mod man! Good work!) where he was able to successfully implement new soundtracks from outside the game, which really got me interested in converting some of my own favourite osts myself. It's been a few months now, i've had a chance to experiment with hundreds (plural :|) of midi files, and sometimes i ended up with something you can call "audible".

I just finished recording a video which demonstrate 2 of my early attempts, hope you enjoy it.

~Basil

https://youtu.be/GfyL5bbL75k

CONMAN

Thanks for the kind word Basil!  Music converting is a neglected aspect of fft modding.  It is very much a pain most of the time.  I would love to hear some more tracks that you have done.  I really should up load the better sounding tracks that I have done (I'm pretty sure I have a few I haven't bothered with).  Honestly I really haven't uploaded them because there seemed to be a lack of interest.

Nyzer

I think the only real lack of interest is due to the hit-or-miss complications of the music import tool. I know I'd personally love to see some new/remixed tracks in Jot5 (not that it'd be my call, especially considering that it would involve replacing existing tracks AFAIK).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown