• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 12:34:41 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Xifanie's Generic Skillset Fix - operational questions

Started by Shrikesnest, January 24, 2013, 12:29:10 am

Shrikesnest

January 24, 2013, 12:29:10 am Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:31:45 am by Shrikesnest
So I've just started messing with the workbooks.  I understand how they work on general principle, but I'm a little confused by Xifanie's Generic Skillset Fix.  My understanding is that this is generally used to overcome the problems with modifying skillsets such as Jump, Throw or Draw Out.  As I understand it, the way this is done is to modify the values next to the desired skillsets, causing the effected skillset to "mimic" another skillset.  My main question is, what exactly does this mean?  If, say, I input 05 next to Throw, will Throw have the exact same skills in it that Basic Skill does regardless of what it says under the Throw skillset in FFTPatcher?  Or does it simply mean that I can edit Throw the same way I could edit Basic Skill?

My second, tangentially related question, is if the former is true, are there any "unused" skillsets that I could feel free to use as fodder for modifying the troublesome skillsets?  I think Balmafula's Arc Witch has been used as an example before, as has Teta's Magic.  Are there any others?

EDIT:  This got answered in the PJIRC chat by FFMaster.  It turns out it's way easier than I was imagining.  Simply set the value next to the troublesome skillset to a more agreeable one, apply the ASM, and then change the skillset to Default in FFTPatcher.  Then you can treat the skillset like any other (Math Skill is one exception; the abilities in the set all ignore reflect).  Thanks FFMaster!
  • Modding version: PSX
Put a drop of vanilla behind each ear and you'll smell like a cookie all day!

savantopus

Can you please explain how to "set the value next to the troublesome skillset to a more agreeable one"? Is this using another program other than FFTPatcher?? Thanks. I'm trying to edit Skill Sets but have glitch problems...
Every word man speaks is a plagiarism.

Shrikesnest

Yeah, this is using the Workbooks, which are Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets that automatically generate ASM hacks usable by FFT OrgASM.  They'll help you overcome a lot of the limitations on FFT Patcher, but they're a bit more complicated to use.  Definitely easier than figuring out all the ASM hacks yourself, though.  You can find them here, in the first post:

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7271.0

And for the record, here's where to find all the tools and ASM hacks people have worked out:

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9210.msg180591#msg180591

Happy modding!
Put a drop of vanilla behind each ear and you'll smell like a cookie all day!

savantopus

Every word man speaks is a plagiarism.