• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:04:53 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Defeat Dycedarg's elder brother!

Started by Dycedarg's Elder Brother, July 18, 2008, 03:13:18 am

Dycedarg's Elder Brother

July 18, 2008, 03:13:18 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dycedarg's Elder Brother
"Hi! I'm Dycedarg's elder brother, have you per chance defeated me yet? No? I thought so! No one could find me but now here I am, ready to conquer all of Ivalice, and maybe Ordalia, too! Well, actually I'm currently only a mere character portrait cheaply put together by the master mind behind my conception, but SOMEDAY I'll have my own complete sprite sheet, as well as my own job, and skillset. And THEN you will see my star in a movie, of which I'm the hero, titled "Defeat Dycedarg's elder brother!", in which I will become King in place of the King! Learn the true history of the Lion War!!!" - Dycedarg's elder brother.

I guess this is my introduction post. I'm amazed at all the achievements that are done here, so I thought I'd share this fun idea I suddenly had in return. It might apparently seem useless at first, but I thought it might become interesting. Please give criticism, both for the sprite and the idea itself. I more in stores, but first things first!

By the way I'm also up for doing some more useful sprite work. Aren't there some unused characters left unfinished such as Teta or Ajora's in Alma's form? I know those are done, but I'm wondering if anyone specifically has plans for Draclau, Barinten and Rudvich. Thanks!

Bastard Poetry

July 18, 2008, 03:37:54 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Ye gods, man, House Beoulve LIVES!

Praise the Elder Brother!
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

LastingDawn

July 18, 2008, 03:43:46 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Haha! You seem like an excellent fellow, as of incomplete sprites Rudvich, Barinten, are two cases that need worked on, thought there are quite a few portraits without sprites attached, and even those in evtchr.spr, which don't have any battle sprites, it is my wish that someone could work on those eventually (especially Gelwan, he's adorable!)

In any case, very inventive idea! Cannot wait to see what you contribute ot the forum, was there any base on your portrait, by chance? I can't seem to place it... it is great though!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Bastard Poetry

July 18, 2008, 03:59:15 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Quote from: "LastingDawn"...was there any base on your portrait, by chance?

That would be the old guy who attended Ramza's funeral.

His Eldest Brother was there for him!

(Plus, that sprite & portrait was the one I used for the old Kanbabrif, before I finally figured out how to haxor sprites).

LastingDawn

July 18, 2008, 10:22:19 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
How did I not notice that? Well it looks different enough that it certainly stands out.

Art of War

Archael

July 18, 2008, 12:36:58 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
damn best intro ever

welcome dude  :D

Xifanie

July 18, 2008, 12:39:44 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Hey bro,

we always welcome elder brother.  8)

Watch the step, or you might fall from 23h.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Dycedarg's Elder Brother

July 19, 2008, 03:39:12 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dycedarg's Elder Brother
Thanks for the enthusiasm guys, that's very motivating!

bastardpoetry, I watched the first part of The Chronicles of Kanbabrif and dude, that was funny as hell. I literally burst into laugher at the Reis VS Kanbabrif part as I finally got the joke, lol. Also... *SPOILER*Junk's character and ultimate fate were genuinely touching.*/SPOILER* I'd watch the next part immediately if I were not currently stuck on dial-up, but I'll get around to it eventually. :oops:

Ah, thanks for the consideration Zodiac. You, breath with the utmost care, I reckon Younger Brother Dycedarg's stash of Mosfungus recently had one unit taken away... wouldn't want to inhale too many of its deadly spores now, would you?

Hehehe, seriously a BIG thanks for all the hacking, without which my pitiful attempt at being funny would be fruitless as this community of hardcore FFT lovers probably wouldn't exist! And in that case who would get the joke, I ask! So yeah, thanks man for undertaking a job that only super intelligent computers of the future should be doing, it's very appreciated.

LastingDawn

July 19, 2008, 03:51:47 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
From what I've seen this looks to be the only FFT community, and just to add to the sugar on top it as well is a hacking forum! GameFaqs is good but... come on... it's GameFaq's. It has a "community" for each and every game in existence apparently. Also yes, Gelwan is the old fellow in the white robe who is "framed" by Delita, the Rumors and such seem to paint a different picture.

Gelwan, Kanbabrif, Orlandu, Blansch, Bolmna, Delita, Balmafula, Olan, well... can't say Goltana was wanting for personnel, Larg on the other hand...

Zalbag and Dycedarg, poor fellow never stood a chance... against a manipulator and a naive worshipper.

Art of War

Bastard Poetry

July 19, 2008, 03:52:36 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Quote from: "Dycedarg's Elder Brother"bastardpoetry, I watched the first part of The Chronicles of Kanbabrif and dude, that was funny as hell. I literally burst into laugher at the Reis VS Kanbabrif part as I finally got the joke, lol. Also... *SPOILER*Junk's character and ultimate fate were genuinely touching.*/SPOILER* I'd watch the next part immediately if I were not currently stuck on dial-up, but I'll get around to it eventually. :twisted:

Cheetah

July 19, 2008, 05:15:59 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Your portrait looks good. I would recommend tweaking the eye that is in the background though. It is just a little garbled.
Current Projects:

Archael

July 19, 2008, 11:06:33 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Dycedarg's Elder Brother"Hey Voldemort7, I'm looking forward to the 1.3 final version. I started a playthrough of v1.320b "just to see" and have played up to the Windmill so far. I must admit, it was the first time I ever had trouble at the Sand Rat Cellar. :oops:

Thanks, even if you are a bastard.

I must still defeat you, Dycedarg's Elder Brother. Draw your sword knave! I will make sure the Beoulve name STAYS dead!!!

*does a cheap FFT dub-type voice actor yell*

LastingDawn

July 20, 2008, 11:08:31 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I've found more evidence to your existence, Dycedarg's Elder Brother! The Brave Story at the beginning of the game says this about Ramza...

It says at the beginning of the game that Ramza is the Youngest of 4 Siblings, in his Brave Story entry! Isthis more subliminal proof of your existence? (I am not aware of this being an edit of any sort.)

Art of War

Austin

July 20, 2008, 11:14:24 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
You forgot about Alma. I dunno how Ramza is considered worse than her though.

LastingDawn

July 20, 2008, 11:17:50 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Ramza, last I checked... is not younger then Alma, she might not be counted among the siblings, as she had only recently returned, why else would it say Ramza was the youngest of the four?

Art of War

Austin

July 20, 2008, 11:42:20 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Alma's says youngest of four too so it was probably just an oversight/translation error.

Archael

July 21, 2008, 12:12:43 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I WILL KILL DYCEDARG ELDER BROTHER!!!  :shock: !!!

Cyberblade

July 21, 2008, 01:35:29 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cyberblade
Equips skill (GODSKILL - i can do whatever i want at the cost of dieing in 20 hours) on pet

has pet Use Glacial Gun and Blaze Gun to kill everyone

Dycedarg's Elder Brother

July 22, 2008, 01:02:06 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dycedarg's Elder Brother
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Also yes, Gelwan is the old fellow in the white robe who is "framed" by Delita, the Rumors and such seem to paint a different picture.

Gelwan, Kanbabrif, Orlandu, Blansch, Bolmna, Delita, Balmafula, Olan, well... can't say Goltana was wanting for personnel, Larg on the other hand...

That's news to me. I seem to have misunderstood that part of the story as for some reason I always assumed that he was innocent and that Delita had merely used him as a tool to gain Goltana's trust. I'll pay more attention to the rumors next time.

And when I said four, I was thinking of the scene at the beginning of Chapter 3 where Goltana has meeting with, I think, four of his advisors. Man, I can't believe how much I've forgotten about the game, I swear, there once was a time when I knew just about everything about all of my favorite games, and FFT has been one of them since 1998! It shows I really need to get myself back into video gaming shape!

Oh and hey, I've only just realized you're the maker of FFT:Mercenaries. I need to congratulate you on your efforts as I've been looking forward to that, too. I've seen a demo on YouTube I really like what you've got going for the Duke's job and skillset. Was it inspired by FFTA's Illusionist? I might eventually be tempted to rip off this idea for use in a hack of mine, if you don't mind.

--

bastardpoetry, of course I'd be honored if Old Man Deb appeared in the chronicles. Likewise, Kanbabrif is welcome to partake in Deb's adventures if you wish. Completing Rudvich's sprite is being a bitch right now, as I can't find any suitable arms to rip off! I'll have to draw new ones, but their placements on the sheet and how they connect is confusing the hell out of me. Deb's sprite should be just a simple head swap, at least for now, so I'll probably finish that one first.

--

Thanks for the critics, Cheetah. I took your recommendation into account and as I went to fix the garbled pixels, I noticed several other faults and fixed them as well.

- I shifted the hair 1 pixel to the left to better fit Dycedarg's face which isn't exactly the same as the old man whose hair is taken from.
    - The ear which is visible was redrawn.
    - The eyebrows were replaced with Balbanes' instead of a garbled mismatch of Dycedarg's and Zalbag's.
    - The eye in the background was softened up a bit.
    - Finally, the palette was slightly edited and parts of the structure that had been affected by the color reduction were restored.

I updated my avatar with the new version. I'm convinced that this is an improvement over the first draft. Is there still anything else that's wrong?

--

You mean my attempt at using the Praise skill on you has failed, Voldemort7? I guess I've got no choice but to fight, however I fear nothing since my creator has given me the Ultimate Reaction Skill!

Critical Teleport 2
When HP level is terminal or 0,
the unit cheaply teleports out of the battlefield for storyline purpose.
{Color 08}Trigger{Color 00}: Critical, Dead.{END}

LastingDawn

July 22, 2008, 01:15:19 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
The Duke's skillset was sort of inspired by Illusionist, but it was meant to resemble a Calculator's skill. I always pictured Calculator's as the perfect leader, the strategist who could fix anything that was wrong. I first got the idea when I was working on Funeral seven months back. I gave him a move called Mighty Prayer (which he still has in Mercenaries) which places Faith on all units. I've always pictured wide affecting moves as being signs of leadership, therefore the Dukes were given "battle tactics" Formation and Tactics respectively. Goltana plays defensively and Larg plays offensively. Of course I have to admit, the odds were a bit... against Goltana's team that fight  Mustadio's Magnetic Force is simply an incredibly powerful move.

Work on Mercenaries is going very well, currently getting Lavian's introduction scenes in order as well as text editing around the board.

Art of War