• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:23:24 pm

Decision oddities

Started by FickleLemon, March 13, 2020, 12:44:04 pm

FickleLemon

Hello,

I was editing the text for the event where Ramza is given the choice about what to do with Algus, and the game skip straight to the first choice you can make. Is there a way of both keeping the decision and having new text?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: Fickle Lemon

Nyzer

Yes.

But you're gonna need to get a lot more specific.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

FickleLemon

Do you want me to be more specific when stating the problem, or when writing the event?

Nyzer

The only thing you've said is that you were editing the text.

How did you edit the text?

Xifanie

@FickleLemon
What I'm getting is that for you, this bug is probably normal behaviour.

For us, eventers of expertise, we have no clue what you could possibly be talking about, so you'll really have to walk us step by step through what you did, and describe us precisely what you're trying to accomplish if you want a proper answer in a reasonable time frame.

We can't even begin to guess what you've done to cause this issue.

Help us help you!
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

FickleLemon

I'm sorry for the confusion.

I edited the text by changing the following message:

//Message x06
{font:08}{Ramza}{font:00}{br}
{FB} 1. Our duty is to destroy the Death Corps.{br}
 2. Saving him is our priority.{FC}{close}{end}

To:

//Message x06
{font:08}{Ramza}{font:00}{br}
{FB} 1. Our mission is to destroy the Corpse Brigade.{br}
 2. Focus on the victim first.{FC}{close}{end}

There were no errors when compiling the event and importing TEST.EVT using CDMage. The problem is that after Delita gives his message about the Death Corps attacking Algus, the game will go straight to the event that would occur after picking the top option without giving the player the text box.

Again, I'm rather unfamiliar to this forum. So I'm sorry if I'm being helpful when getting this problem solved.

Nyzer

Those {end}s are redundant, but other than that I don't see what the problem might be. It doesn't look like anything else with that text could be the cause of the problem.

Did you change anything else with that event?

Where is the EventEnd() command? After message x06? (Though I've never worked with the conditionals so idk if it's normally there anyway).

3lric

95% - You didn't remove the text offset before recompiling.. (can't be sure cuz you didnt show the full event)
5% - Line could be too long, causing it to pick the first choice and skip the rest. (dialogue DOES have character limits per line, which is why we have {br})

It's one of those 2 things, but I'm leaning toward the former.

FickleLemon

Okay Elric, the 5% possibility was what ended up being the problem. I changed the lines to those which went below the original character counts, meaning that I was able to get the text box for the decisions. Thank you all.

3lric

Quote from: FickleLemon on March 14, 2020, 05:11:22 amOkay Elric, the 5% possibility was what ended up being the problem. I changed the lines to those which went below the original character counts, meaning that I was able to get the text box for the decisions. Thank you all.

Yeah no... What you just said still makes it seem more like it was the first one. The text offset probably wasn't removed before recompiling... This would mean that more text than the original would cause a derp, while less would not.

FickleLemon

March 14, 2020, 07:04:58 am #10 Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:12:11 am by FickleLemon
Looking at the top of the event.txt file, yeah, I never remove the text offsets before recompiling. Since the project I'm doing just involves editing text, rather than adding or remove events entirely, would you suggest that I remove event offsets in future?

Nyzer

March 14, 2020, 10:09:08 am #11 Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:15:25 am by Nyzer
Just the text offsets. They aren't necessary at all unless you want to do heavy savestate testing, in which case you would push the text space a good distance away from the event space so you have room to edit both without being a problem.

I didn't think text offsets would come into play at all, but if that event had its text offset on by default, then, yes, that would do it. Any changes you made to the event commands would push the text around and cause things to get wonky.

Just paste the entire event in a spoiler here so we can see it, that would be the most useful way to look at it.