• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 09:17:29 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Female Job Sprites

Started by Cheetah, February 08, 2008, 06:47:23 pm

Cheetah

September 17, 2008, 05:07:52 am #80 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Okay so adding in the new hair made much more work for me to do, but things are coming along on the female red mage. Hopefully I will have a preview added to this soon.
Current Projects:

KazeKasano

September 17, 2008, 02:16:03 pm #81 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Is the portrait that Black is using as a base Ashe from FF XII?
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

Cheetah

June 15, 2009, 11:34:24 pm #82 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
So I have been working on this Female Red Mage for a very long time and just don't see myself finishing it any time soon. So I am giving it up to the community to try there best to finish it. I like the general idea of the design and a lot of work has already been done, but there is still more to be done. I work in photoshop so I have ever element of this sprite on a separate layer if anyone would like things divided up a bit. Just post any questions or requests.

To Do:
-The hair and cape need to be finished on the attack animations. Basically the hair wasn't designed to work with this cape so either her braid needs to be higher in the air or the cape needs to flap up less.
-Color reduction. Unfortunately I never took the time to do this early on, but from my tests sharing shades between the hair color and gold armor should make it all possible.
-Portrait. Obviously I never even started this.

Wish List:
-In the final designed I had hoped to make the boots sleeker by eliminating the ruffles on the sides so that they would look different from the archer's boots.
-I also wanted to make her skirt not divided and more of a mini-skirt, once again to make her a bit unique.

I relinquish this project to all the great spriters out there to help me finish this. It will be hard for me to let go of it, but I'm excited to see what people come up with.
Current Projects:

Smash

June 16, 2009, 07:21:03 pm #83 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash

Various chestplates, hats, shoes, and the arm armor. 4 is the original.

If it were me, I'd pick either 2-3, or 5-6.

Cheetah

June 16, 2009, 08:50:11 pm #84 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
These a freaking cool. Okay lets see, I definitely like the full arm armor look. Having just the gauntlet is cool, but the idea behind the mismatched arms is that the bare arm is for wielding a weapon and the armored arm is for defense. Representing how the red mage is a mix of both offensive and defensive. So having a glove on one hand and a gauntlet in the other is okay, but I think the full armored arm is better. Plus your version of the armored arm with that joint of silver/white or whatever looks amazing!

The chest plate in 2 and 3 is pretty cool, but I think it looks way too manly like golden gladiator muscle armor. But some adjustments could probably improve it. Right now I'm liking 7 the most, the chest plate just looks more feminine. But like I said I think you could adjust number 3 so that it was the best. I think having a bit of red between the face and the chest plate is important because the gold and the skin tones seem a bit too similar right next to each other and the red helps differentiate.

The boots are perfect. The little line of gold really sets them apart and I love it.

The skirt is a major improvement. It looks a little flat and plain right now, but walking animations will likely fix that.

The hat is a bit too pointing right now. The original hat definitely needs some improving upon, but the square shape always set the red mage apart a bit.

If this is 16 colors, then great color reduction.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

June 16, 2009, 09:00:11 pm #85 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
When I picture a good red mage hat these are generally what I think of:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_In7cd9sYoR4/R ... 20/01c.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/final ... IRDMAF.jpg

This might seem like an odd statement, but though I don't like the art style used in FFXI I absolutely love the armor designs.

Oh and I just remembered another design idea I had. For the skirt my other idea was to make it a bit longer and divided like the Vierra red mages in FFTA. There is another idea if you don't like how the miniskirt is working out.
Current Projects:

mav

June 16, 2009, 09:47:34 pm #86 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by mav
Personally, I'm a fan of number six, with five coming in a close second.

dwib

June 16, 2009, 11:16:05 pm #87 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
6 without a doubt.

2 and 3 look like lancers, 4 looks like an archer, and 5 looks too mage-y

7 could also work but is too stocky for a female i think

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

June 17, 2009, 01:56:54 am #88 Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:20:23 am by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Number 4 is my faves.

SilvasRuin

June 17, 2009, 03:54:28 am #89 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I prefer the fifth.  While it is "mage-y", the glove and light clothing (as opposed to robes) gives it a believable fencing look, which is what a Red Mage is supposed to be.  They are light and quick fighters, not armored fighters.

Archael

June 17, 2009, 11:12:01 am #90 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
lookin good

dwib

June 17, 2009, 10:19:48 pm #91 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"I prefer the fifth.  While it is "mage-y", the glove and light clothing (as opposed to robes) gives it a believable fencing look, which is what a Red Mage is supposed to be.  They are light and quick fighters, not armored fighters.

Fencing? Go back to FFTA. Red Mages have traditionally been able to equip heavy armor and broadswords, not those homo rapiers.

Besides, the only difference between 5 and 6 is the gauntlet, it's not like 5 to 8 where a full breastplate is added. 6 has a full gauntlet that gives it a perfect part-fighter look while 5's half gauntlet looks like a golden black mage glove, resulting in "mage-y-ness".

Kaije

June 17, 2009, 11:35:31 pm #92 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaije
Overall I'm partial to six...

I'm just not sure how this sprite will pair well with the 'armorless' male version of Cheetahs.

Cheetah

June 17, 2009, 11:57:02 pm #93 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Actually Kaije that was part of the original vision too. I wanted a job where the female sprite was more heavily armored then the male version. Also if you have seen my female blue mage she has no armor, and the design for the male blue mage does have armor. Just to give some more background to my design choices.

Although why is everyone going for the silver breastplate instead of the gold?
Current Projects:

Smash

June 18, 2009, 12:26:44 am #94 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Stepping away from vagrant story for a while, I brought this.

Worked with the colors, from 25 to 15; and fixed the hat.

Now the poll is between A and B, 5 and 6 respectively.

LastingDawn

June 18, 2009, 12:53:12 am #95 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I think I like the first one best because it doesn't have that weird shoulderpad thing.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Smash

June 18, 2009, 01:10:04 am #96 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Consider that keeping the shoulderpads will keep me from manually editing each and every arm on the sheet.

Im leaning towards keeping it.

Cheetah

June 18, 2009, 01:25:07 am #97 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
The hat is perfect!

I'm still not liking the white/silver. I feel like that it is too easily mistaken as a white bra or something. I did a blind test with my wife and she agrees. Though if I am out voted I am out voted.

I'm still all about the full armored arm. Though LD is right and it does a bit too bulky, but that might just be how it is and it will hopefully look better animated. I tried to choose a very slender armored arm.
Current Projects:

SilvasRuin

June 18, 2009, 01:25:36 am #98 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
QuoteFencing? Go back to FFTA. Red Mages have traditionally been able to equip heavy armor and broadswords, not those homo rapiers.
I'm not interested in FFTA's kind of fencers.  Fencing is not exclusively épées and foils.  It also includes sabres.  I don't recall what exactly they could equip in FFI, but I do recall that they were not strong in defense or attack, and I had though a majority of their equipment was mage-based.  Perhaps it has been too long since I have played, but I assure you, FFTA had no bearing on what I said.  Traditionally Red Mages are the jack-of-all-trades.  Having some speed, some attack, some defense, and some magic power is what they are designed for.  In my opinion that says fencer rather than an armored spellcaster.  An armored Red Mage just wouldn't feel right to me.

My preference is again A for the reasons I've already stated.  B does not look bad, however, and for all practical purposes it could work just as well.

dwib

June 18, 2009, 01:37:31 am #99 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
B. The full armored arm is not only easier for Smash, but also looks better imo