• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:35:41 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Event Compiler won't write to TEST.evt

Started by DrHobo, February 04, 2013, 10:54:08 pm

DrHobo

Hey all.
I am new to the forums but have a basic knowledge of modding. I have successfully created jobs with the patcher, rearranged skillsets, changed sprites in shishi and in FFTEVGRP, as well as changed the job names and ability names in FFTactext and played through the game and fixed glitches so I have some idea how to troubleshoot.

But I'm having some trouble with event editing.

I started with Elric's great tutorial "Event Editing 101" which was great and I was able to understand fully. I followed all the steps three times through and still cannot change event "002 Orbonne Prayer" I change all of the script and when I hit "Compile Event" it says "Event compiled successfully to offset x00002000" But when I import my TEST.evt in CDmage, save it, and run the ISO nothing has changed. Even when I try to reopen EVES all of my changes have been reverted!

What I have done: reinstalled EVES, erased the PSXevents.txt and decompiled the TEST.evt and tried it all over again, I downloaded a separate version of Event Compiler 2.01b and Event Decompiler 2.04 and edited the text this way but again when I tried to compile it I get an error message "Wrong parameter type 'x' expected but 'r' found on line 9" This occurs even when I try to compile without changing anything. EVES still says it compiles but if I reopen it or try to patch my ISO none of my changes remain.

I suspect it is a compiling issue as the PSXevents.txt saves properly but when I try to compile it claims success but reverts as soon as I close the program. I am using windows 7 and have had "read only" drama when I tried to hack Dawn of War... could this be an issue?

Ideas?

3lric

Quote from: DrHobo on February 04, 2013, 10:54:08 pm
I started with Elric's great tutorial "Event Editing 101" which was great and I was able to understand fully. I followed all the steps three times through and still cannot change event "002 Orbonne Prayer" I change all of the script and when I hit "Compile Event" it says "Event compiled successfully to offset x00002000" But when I import my TEST.evt in CDmage, save it, and run the ISO nothing has changed. Even when I try to reopen EVES all of my changes have been reverted!

What I have done: reinstalled EVES, erased the PSXevents.txt and decompiled the TEST.evt and tried it all over again, I downloaded a separate version of Event Compiler 2.01b and Event Decompiler 2.04 and edited the text this way but again when I tried to compile it I get an error message "Wrong parameter type 'x' expected but 'r' found on line 9" This occurs even when I try to compile without changing anything. EVES still says it compiles but if I reopen it or try to patch my ISO none of my changes remain.

I suspect it is a compiling issue as the PSXevents.txt saves properly but when I try to compile it claims success but reverts as soon as I close the program. I am using windows 7 and have had "read only" drama when I tried to hack Dawn of War... could this be an issue?

Ideas?

What is EVES? lol.
Anyway, it sounds very much to me that you are importing the incorrect test.evt into your iso.
With the current changes in EVSP, my method has changed a tad, I normally just download the current version
of EVSP and copy my test.evt over the one in the main folder. This helps against accidentally importing the incorrect
TEST.EVT and/or attack.out.

The best way to test that it is working is to decompile your TEST.EVT after you import the new event. If the new
PSXEvents.txt shows your edits then you are fine to import it, if not then something is wrong.

If you have further issues post your files here and I will try to assist in anyway I can. We certainly need more event editors
around here.
  • Modding version: PSX

Kurosabes

I had issues with that, too. What I did to fix it is to save my event in the Custom event directory (it chooses that by default when you save), name it in a way you'll remember what it was. Once it saves, it writes down your event in the event.txt as well.

event.txt (not PSXevents.txt) is the source of the compiler. If event.txt is empty, nothing will change, no matter how many times you compile the event. I believe you can just copy & paste your event in there as well, but I haven't tried it. I just save the event and let it paste itself to event.txt. You will know it worked if it says "Event compiled successfully to offset x00004000" rather than "Event compiled successfully to offset x00002000" which is what it kept doing to me. Mind you, there might be another way around it, but this is what fixed it for me.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Xifanie

You can either change the file to compile in CONFIG.INI or keep it as 'event.txt', whatever works best for you. If you use the latter option, you'll need to always use event.txt for any event you want to edit, and that only one event at a time. You can do so by copy/pasting the event data starting from the Offset() to the last valid message... anything that looks like dummy text from other events can be safely ignored. In fact, it's safer to ignore them.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

DrHobo

Victory! My ramza now walks in place for 10 seconds with no dialogue! Props to White Knight Wiegraf and thanks to all for quick responses!

The issue was indeed saving to the custom directory (as WK Wiegraf suggested) first and then compiling and getting the "x00004000" not "x00002000" success notification.

EVSP ;) is up and running. If I do anything worthwhile I will be sure to share it. Up to now my most noteworthy triumph is turning the Squire into a Hobo who has "Talk About Nam" as an ability lol. Hopefully I can get some real work done now.

3lric

This is why I don't save my events with EVSP. Instead I just use it to edit then copy everything back into my event.txt