• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:48:40 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

switch onion knight for class with abilities?

Started by azavier, October 03, 2013, 02:35:41 pm

azavier

im sure this has been answered before, but i cannot find the topic for the life of me lol. their is a way to remove the onion knight in favor of another class and be able to assign abilities to it right ? if so can someone tell me how to go about doing this. thanks in advanced!

Philogosten

Use fftpatcher to alter its skillset and give it the abilities you want it to be able to learn. Not sure if there is any hardcoding that will mess with it as I only have worked on the psx version.
Now taking bets on which kills me first. lung cancer or liver failure

Paheej

Azavier,

It looks like this was covered in Feb 2012.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8495.msg168316#msg168316

Eternal notes that the Innate "Cannot Equip Abilities" of the Onion Knight has not been successfully eliminated in any patches or research.  Admittedly that is a long time ago but I have not seen any updates. 

Eternal

That's correct. As of now, the Onion Knight cannot use R/S/Ms beyond what is innate on their job. They can use skills such as Fire as long as they're in its skillset, though. That said, they cannot gain JP unless they have innate Accrue JP, which is what I did to them in KO PSP.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Paheej

Quote from: Eternal on October 05, 2013, 04:15:17 pm
That's correct. As of now, the Onion Knight cannot use R/S/Ms beyond what is innate on their job. They can use skills such as Fire as long as they're in its skillset, though. That said, they cannot gain JP unless they have innate Accrue JP, which is what I did to them in KO PSP.

Well noted.  An interesting solution.  Best case scenario at the current time is to change the class into a very limited/specialized class.

BleuVII

September 24, 2016, 05:47:22 pm #5 Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:51:18 pm by BleuVII
I know this topic is ancient, but since I had to do the research myself, I figured I'd post my notes.

Hard coding makes it impossible to add any abilities to the Onion Knights. Also, the Onion Set (Sword, Armor, etc.) is affected by hard coded values. But since those are only available via Rendezvous, and you won't be playing that in a hack, it's not a serious concern.

What *I* did is change the Onion Knight to the Arithmetician, giving it the Arithmeticks skill set. This kind of fixes the OP nature of Arithmeticians. Now, if you want to use an Arithmetician, you ONLY get the Arithmeticks; nothing else. I also nerfed them so that they have Move/Jump of only 2. With boots equipped, that maxes out at 3/2 or 2/3. It makes the class much more like the Mime; only great if you know how to use them.

Then, I used the slot originally occupied by the Arithmetician to add in a new class. In my hack, I made a Red Mage with the MP-restoring "Refresh" and "Refreshaga" (Using Formula 54), a Lvl 2 Water/Aero/Quake attack, and a couple of abilities pulled from other classes. The Red Mage gets useless pretty quickly, until end game when they can learn the Planar Magicks (Meltdown, Tornado, Quake (renamed Earthquake)) by being hit with them.

Disregard this whole post. Through bug testing, I've discovered that my idea does not work.
  • Modding version: WotL

Stories8106

Quote from: BleuVII on September 24, 2016, 05:47:22 pmI know this topic is ancient, but since I had to do the research myself, I figured I'd post my notes.

Hard coding makes it impossible to add any abilities to the Onion Knights. Also, the Onion Set (Sword, Armor, etc.) is affected by hard coded values. But since those are only available via Rendezvous, and you won't be playing that in a hack, it's not a serious concern.

What *I* did is change the Onion Knight to the Arithmetician, giving it the Arithmeticks skill set. This kind of fixes the OP nature of Arithmeticians. Now, if you want to use an Arithmetician, you ONLY get the Arithmeticks; nothing else. I also nerfed them so that they have Move/Jump of only 2. With boots equipped, that maxes out at 3/2 or 2/3. It makes the class much more like the Mime; only great if you know how to use them.

Then, I used the slot originally occupied by the Arithmetician to add in a new class. In my hack, I made a Red Mage with the MP-restoring "Refresh" and "Refreshaga" (Using Formula 54), a Lvl 2 Water/Aero/Quake attack, and a couple of abilities pulled from other classes. The Red Mage gets useless pretty quickly, until end game when they can learn the Planar Magicks (Meltdown, Tornado, Quake (renamed Earthquake)) by being hit with them.

Disregard this whole post. Through bug testing, I've discovered that my idea does not work.

Sorry for the Necrobump.  Blue... What did you end up doing with this?  This was going to be my plan as well.  Did anything work? What went wrong?
  • Modding version: WotL