• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:56:46 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFVI Hardtype 1.2 (Updated February 3, 2012)

Started by Eternal248, November 10, 2009, 12:14:32 am

Eternal

November 12, 2009, 02:39:07 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Updated the first post with the newest patch. Blue Magic hasn't been touched... yet.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Eternal

November 13, 2009, 01:23:56 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Sorry for the multiple posting, but perhaps someone here knows of this:

When I was doing my own playthrough, when I sorted my inventory, all my Potions disappeared, and other people had the same issue from what I understand. Was this a glitch in the original? Or was it because I renamed 'Tonic' to 'Potion'? Any help would be wonderful, thanks.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Kaijyuu

November 13, 2009, 04:12:48 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I do recall some sorting glitches if an item was placed in the very last spot of your inventory.
If square did sorting by name instead of item ID, I'd be surprised.

Also, I don't see why you couldn't release the gameplay patch and any aesthetic changes (changing names, ect) as two separate patches.
  • Modding version: PSX

Eternal

November 13, 2009, 05:47:17 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Well, I can do that after I complete all the other changes, certainly. It's simply a matter of changing the names back to what they were. Not a big deal at all. Right now I'm more concerned about gameplay than names, though, because there are a handful of enemies I made invincible by mistake. Whoops.

tl;dr: I may release a Nostalgic Hardtype patch later.

FFMaster

November 16, 2009, 05:58:06 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Here is a guide on how to patch on ZSNES without altering the ROM itself or bothering with Lunar IPS.

Config -> Options -> Check "Enable IPS Auto-Patching"

Do that, and then place the IPS into the same folder as the Rom. Rename the IPS to the same file name as the ROM. For example, mine is "FFIII.smc" so the IPS will have the name "FFIII.ips".

From there, just play!

This makes it easier to update patches, and removes the bugs from dirty patching completely. All you have to do is delete the old patch, replace it with the new patch, and rename it!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Zeio

November 17, 2009, 01:23:33 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zeio
Suggestion:  nerf Marvel Shoes, or balance all the late game around it.  Preferably the former.  Just Auto-Haste and Regen should be good enough considering Marvel Shoes completely invalidate Running Shoes, Cure Ring, Guard Ring, Pod Bracelet, and a lesser extent, Force Shield.

Eternal

November 17, 2009, 01:28:58 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Yes, Marvel Shoes have been limited to certain characters and now have some negative effects to balance the positives. Thanks for your suggestion, though. ^_^

Wasabi

November 17, 2009, 05:05:58 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
Cursed Ring should get some boosts other than teaching you Banish/X-zone at x5 rate.

And when we spoke in chat about the Cursed Shield being "uncurseable" does that mean the negative stats stay but the negative status ailments are removed? Just a thought.

And from what I remembered in the SNES version of FFIII/VI, there was only one method in getting the Ragnarok sword, and that was either choosing to craft it as a sword rather than an Esper in WoR's Narshe. If possible, getting it as a random drop or a hard steal from a super-powerful rare enemy in WoR would be awesome imo, since from what I've been hearing during chat the battles in WoB is pretty unforgiving to some extent. And, the reason I've suggested this is that in the PSX/GBA (Advance) versions, the way to get multiple Ragnaroks was to steal from Kefka's third form during the last battle, and have it transitioned to a game save after the credits.

^Granted if obtaining the sword in-game from an enemy is a possibility, and that the Flare spell has been suped up to be much more powerful than in vanilla, the sword's attack power (and maybe its stats), should be nerfed respectively. Or, keep/balance its stats and attack power and remove the Flare proc from it and replace it with another non-elemental spell. This same process/suggestion should be done on the Illumina/Lightbringer sword as well, but should have some qualities that make it slightly stronger than the Ragnarok sword (whether or not the "long-range" quality of the sword should be removed or not is under your digression; I say keep it, nerf its stats slightly, and make it harder to obtained through the Colliseum (sp?).)

Also, not sure whether the Ragnarok/Illumina swords should keep their critical hit aspects. I loved seeing that flashing light whenever I hit the attack button. Maybe make the MP cost go from... 15 to 18-20? I think that's the correct cost for causing the innate critical hit quality on weapons with that speciality in them.

Aquilae

November 22, 2009, 06:24:29 am #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquilae

LD beat Omega with the same party he tried it with 6 hours ago (Terra / Relm / Cyan / Edgar). Pretty awesome to watch since he was doing about ~9k a pop around the end. You'd have to ask LD how he did it though, but it's great. Props to saestrol who came up with the strat lol.

EDIT: I got through the game all the way to the Returner's Hideout, I tried to fight whenever I could (aka not much =/)

The first part was fairly easy, Whelk was no problem at all. I used Mog's team for the rescue Terra fight, avoided all the fights except one (to learn Dusk Requiem), and beat the Marshall with it. Didn't blick the Marshall though, needed to chug a few Potions to survive and kill him with Cave In.

Magitek Armors were evil, heh. It took a bit of luck since Tek Laser one-shots Terra and puts Locke and Edgar in critical, but I spammed Fire with Terra and used Potions as necessary and got through the fight. Also, I hate that Auto-Crossbow can miss now and Noiseblaster is useless =(

Anyways, made my way to South Figaro, and the random monsters are a pain in the ass. Poison from Hornets (I only learnt Poisona just before Mt. Koltz) and Sleep from the Blearies, so I ran away from these guys and only really fought the crawly thingies.

Bought 50 Potions at South Figaro, and had ~25 when I reached Vargas. Why do all these monsters have status ffffff

Anyway, Vargas was pretty easy, just had to watch out for Gale Cut and heal as necessary, even then he only uses it once every few turns. Used Fire + Bioblaster on the Ipoohs, and once Vargas was alone I pummelled him with Bioblaster and used Terra to heal. I ran out of Potions, but I managed to end the fight with Locke and Terra in critical and Edgar at almost full health. Sabin... well you know the rest.
:gay:

Eternal

November 22, 2009, 02:41:59 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Quote from: "Aquilae"

LD beat Omega with the same party he tried it with 6 hours ago (Terra / Relm / Cyan / Edgar). Pretty awesome to watch since he was doing about ~9k a pop around the end. You'd have to ask LD how he did it though, but it's great. Props to saestrol who came up with the strat lol.

EDIT: I got through the game all the way to the Returner's Hideout, I tried to fight whenever I could (aka not much =/)

The first part was fairly easy, Whelk was no problem at all. I used Mog's team for the rescue Terra fight, avoided all the fights except one (to learn Dusk Requiem), and beat the Marshall with it. Didn't blick the Marshall though, needed to chug a few Potions to survive and kill him with Cave In.

Magitek Armors were evil, heh. It took a bit of luck since Tek Laser one-shots Terra and puts Locke and Edgar in critical, but I spammed Fire with Terra and used Potions as necessary and got through the fight. Also, I hate that Auto-Crossbow can miss now and Noiseblaster is useless =(

Anyways, made my way to South Figaro, and the random monsters are a pain in the ass. Poison from Hornets (I only learnt Poisona just before Mt. Koltz) and Sleep from the Blearies, so I ran away from these guys and only really fought the crawly thingies.

Bought 50 Potions at South Figaro, and had ~25 when I reached Vargas. Why do all these monsters have status ffffff

Anyway, Vargas was pretty easy, just had to watch out for Gale Cut and heal as necessary, even then he only uses it once every few turns. Used Fire + Bioblaster on the Ipoohs, and once Vargas was alone I pummelled him with Bioblaster and used Terra to heal. I ran out of Potions, but I managed to end the fight with Locke and Terra in critical and Edgar at almost full health. Sabin... well you know the rest.

Thank you for your feedback, Aquilae- and fight where you can. It's possible to find a few cheap/free healing spots throughout the game and it's best to fight randoms and heal up there. Once you get magic, though, it gets a lot easier to train.

About Noiseblaster... many enemies late game are vulnerable to Confuse. Assuming you wish to take advantage of an AOE confuse such as Noiseblaster, you can form your party around that strategy and have Noiseblaster barely affect them at all. =D

Mt. Kolts statuses are easy to deal with- just equip everyone with a Star Pendant and a Jewel Ring. There, no more Mt. Kolts statuses. ^_^

Wasabi

November 22, 2009, 10:24:36 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
Wow. LD's a masochist.

Eternal

November 22, 2009, 11:08:30 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Congratulations go to LD for being the first to beat Kefka! With any luck, he'll be the last! =P

Zeio

November 30, 2009, 02:57:50 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zeio
Hey Eternal, do you know what kind of variable(s) is/are used for the Experience absolute values and Experience increment values?

Eternal

December 01, 2009, 03:23:43 am #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
I'm afraid not- I haven't really touched experience all that much (there's really no need to), but if you're really interested you could download the Editor and a ROM and check it out yourself. It's rather... difficult... to explain some of the features in the Editor, but it's amazingly simple to use when you have it right in front of you. =D

Zeio

December 01, 2009, 12:22:36 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zeio
I'm trying to set a soft level cap by making it take an absurd amount of EXP to level up after you reach a certain level.  Damage in FF6 gets a little out of control at later levels because of how well things scale with level increase.

Eternal

December 02, 2009, 08:25:44 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Well, damage isn't so bad if you take away the Esper Bonuses and limit some of the items' powers. A 9999 attack isn't as bad as 4 5000 dmg. attacks.

Zeio

December 03, 2009, 11:25:37 am #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zeio
I've already changed all the +2 esper bonuses to +1.

Eternal

December 07, 2009, 05:22:04 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Phew- the final version is out! I made a bunch of changes on this version, most of which include buffing the Skull and Gold dragon, the Statues, and making Intangir beatable. From here out, any further released versions will have glitch fixes/changed formations, but nothing huge (I hope) and I'll bump the topic when there's a new release.

OK, the rundown of changes are huge overall, but it's basically the following:

1) Enemies are harder in Vanilla (you might actually die when fighting Guards!)
2) Equipment is much more unique to certain characters.
3) Mog has innate Jump, Gogo has Shock and Health.
4) Dragons are now true superbosses, as is Atma (now known as Omega)
5) Many Espers teach different spells now, allowing you to form different strategies.
6) Many items now go by the GBA name, for clarity's sake.

I'd like to thank FFM, LD, and Saigas for helping test out these versions- they've been a great help. I'd love it if more people could test it and give insight as well. Thanks!

Nocat

December 07, 2009, 06:19:51 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nocat
Cool beans, Eternal. Ill try it out after finals are over and done with.

Eternal

December 09, 2009, 02:41:35 am #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Thanks Nocat! I know how busy this time of year can be, so no worries.

Updated original post with an update... albeit a VERY minor one. I'm experimenting changing Quick to Blind so that 'Blind' is actually its own spell (strangely you never have access to a regular 'Blind' spell in VI) thus, feel free to test it out. It'd be much appreciated. It's learnable via Ramuh at x5. Enjoy. ^_^