• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:24:10 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Need help with the attack.out editor

Started by Zafire, January 08, 2014, 11:29:16 pm

3lric

She means that those commands on Gariland only work if you actually stop on the Gariland Dot on the map.
You'll need to move the Garliand stuff over to Igros if you want it to work for Igros
  • Modding version: PSX

Zafire

Right, I'm just trying to clarify what and where "Gariland stuff" is X.X (I feel so stupid lol) I changed the event and world map under the Gariland section in the excel spreadsheet to reflect me being at Igros.

The only thing I can think you are meaning is that I need to take all my Gariland hex edits and replace them in the locations that the Igros hex normally is.

Xifanie

Can you just upload your spreadsheet so I can see for myself how you've done it?
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zafire

Maybe I'm not understanding the "right" way to do it. There is a way to apply the spreadsheet directly? <.< I guess I am what you call self-educated, I don't really know proper ways to do anything involving code, hex, etc. I want to be able to edit FFT though. So again I apologize for my ignorance.

I've been editing with a hex editor, and searching for the location by copy/pasting (For example copy/paste 01002F02000001006E000100200006001800 into the hex editor and it gives me the whole line). I haven't changed anything in the spreadsheet, I'm mostly just using it for a guide. I'm organizing everything in a wordpad so if it doesn't work I can swiftly change it back.

All I did was edit the 5 lines under "Garland Magic City" besides the first one. I haven't changed anything else. I am just very curious what you mean by "moving" code, unless you are implying that instead of editing under Gariland Magic City I should be editing under Igros to reflect 0001 in the story.

Xifanie

Please edit the spreadsheet... you won't get very far with just hex editing.
And yes, edit Igros. You want the paths to draw when you are Igros at the start of the game, you need to edit Igros. That simple.

If you really want to have something else, put that in a .xml and patch your image using FFTOrgASM:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Patches>
  <Patch name="World Map Instructions">
    <Location file="WORLD_WLDCORE_BIN" offset="30234">
      PUT THE HEX DATA HERE
    </Location>
  </Patch>
</Patches>
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Zafire

January 13, 2014, 03:27:31 am #25 Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:12:50 am by Zafire
My brain hurts.

I tried the .xml thing. At first, I wasn't exactly sure how making an .xml file would work as the xml file would have no way of knowing what I was editing and where. So I put everything in order (Lesalia, Riovanes, Igros) up to Mandalia and the game doesn't even hit the world map, it just crashes.

So then I was like, why not, lets do something that makes absolutely no logical sense at all. So I stripped down the entire xml and put the Gariland hex chunk first, with Igros right underneath it. I edited Igros to compensate my needs and changed Gariland too.

To my surprise it actually went to the world map, displayed the world message help box, and did the draw path from Igros to Mandalia ONLY.

I tried a few things. I later learned that if I simply switched the places of both the draw location and draw path I would get Mandalia drawn on the map but the path would not draw.

What I mean by switching places is I would simply cut/paste one above or below the other one, depending on where it was.

Then, if I removed the Gariland event that I assumes draws Balbanes death, it loops either the draw path or draw location (whatever is first). None of this makes ANY sense to me.

; ______________ ;

EDIT: I've discovered I CAN remove the Balbanes event, I just need to replace it with 0's of the exact same length. Obviously an issue of placement. I'm doing something wrong, lol

Xifanie

One thing you have to remember with excel spreadsheets:
YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT CUT/PASTE

I wish I didn't have to say it, but it's literally impossible to prevent even in the most recent version of Excel. Cut/Paste will break the spreadsheet permanently. Many people have done it with my spreadsheets, and all I can be like is: "Don't do it next time?". And what you put in the .xml is simply that blue bar, that right next to it says "Click the blue bar & copy/paste at address". Of course you need to copy/paste it every time you make changes...

Zafire

Uhh..:(

I'm not really sure what you mean. Like I've said, I'm pretty much self-educated, I'm not that familiar with excel. I click the blue bar and this comes up =CONCATENATE(AV70,AV318,AV320) It doesn't change or variate at all. The blue bar will also tell me what line I am in in the spreadsheet (for example E4, E5). "Click the blue bar" is pretty self-explanatory but "copy/paste at address" doesn't make much sense to me. If I copy/paste anything into that address while I have the blue box clicked it permanently changes to that.

What I was doing was copy/pasting chunks only from the excel spreadsheet into a notepad so it formatted correctly, then making changes and copy/pasting from there into the xml. Obviously this is wrong, I just am not understanding the proper way to do it.

Xifanie

• Select the blue bar

• Press ctrl+c

• Go in the .xml (if you don't have it, create one with the info I gave you 2 posts ago)

• Remove PUT THE HEX DATA HERE

• Press ctrl+v (it should paste a lot of hex, if you just have something like #NA or #REF, we have a problem)

• Save (in the same folder as FFTOrgASM)

• Open FFTOrgASM

• Check World Map Instructions

• Click Patch ISO...

• Select your FFT Image

• Click Save

As to why using the spreadsheet is important:
If you don't, you can't add, remove or resize ―anything―
The spreadsheet calculates all of that for you so that you don't have to worry about anything.

You would have to spend hours hex editing and end up with errors to achieve the same as you would by editing the spreadsheet a couple minutes.

Zafire

QuoteSelect the blue bar
Press ctrl+c
Go in the .xml

This is all I was missing. I just tried it (With editing the spreadsheet) and everything worked. The lines drew from igros/mandalia/gariland (in reverse) like I wanted them to without any issue. The world help message didn't display, but it's the least of my worries. Maybe now I can stop running into hiccups.

Thank you so much for your patience. I seriously came in here full of doubt and now I can finally do what I've always wanted to do.

Xifanie

Heh, it's alright.

Just remember one thing: I forgot to add a length counter to that spreadsheet, so just remember remove the same total amount of bytes you add, else you could overwrite important data in the next table. If you're not going to use something, delete away~.

Zafire

QuoteIf you're not going to use something, delete away~.

Wouldn't deleting something I'm not going to use backspace the hex into another another table? Or does the spreadsheet account for that? Also, I am restricted to simply editing, right? Like I can't make call locations from, say, Sweegy, because it only has one line in the excel spreadsheet.

Xifanie

Just add a new line to sweegy, like I said, that's what the spreadsheet is for. Don't feel limited to add/remove/edit stuff. But like I said, you need to not go past a certain amount of bytes for the entire spreadsheet. You can delete stuff anywhere to add more stuff elsewhere.

This spreadsheet is used for JotF which is fully custom. Don't think of it as so limited.