• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:08:23 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Animation skill links

Started by Xifanie, August 27, 2008, 11:54:31 pm

Zozma

September 08, 2008, 03:34:21 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
vanya, what about the item skills?

do they specifically display the potion they are holding? if so id love to make the alchemist job (use an antidote and it causes poison, use echo herb and it causes silence, use eyedrop and it causes blind etc)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Xifanie

September 08, 2008, 04:24:36 pm #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I don't ahve info about the other bytes, I just found the list in the file and never even modified it to see if it worked in game.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zozma

September 08, 2008, 04:34:25 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah... the way i figure it, if one skill can display a potion overhead then another one can be set to do it too...

Vanya

September 08, 2008, 04:35:29 pm #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Zozma"vanya, what about the item skills?

do they specifically display the potion they are holding? if so id love to make the alchemist job (use an antidote and it causes poison, use echo herb and it causes silence, use eyedrop and it causes blind etc)

All the item skills use 0901. They begin at x2d260 and the last entry is at x2d287. I *think* the item displayed depends on the item named in the skill.
The worst case scenario short of it being impossible, would be that you'd have to create alternate items that look like the normal ones, but use different formulas. Then there's the problem of which effect file is called by the item.

Quote from: "Zodiac"I don't have info about the other bytes, I just found the list in the file and never even modified it to see if it worked in game.

I'll go ahead and make an excel file with the values and you can insert them into your file, ok?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 08, 2008, 05:36:16 pm #44 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
all im trying to do is:

have a new set of skills that use the items that already exist, it would be great if the item skill that i plan on making cause poison, for example, used the same item icon as "antidote" and used the same item from inventory "antidote"

Vanya

September 08, 2008, 06:43:03 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
You'd have to write a new routine for that. The problem is that the way the item skillset is set up. It takes the effect and formula from the item. the only thing the skill does is tell the menu setup what item to use. You see? You'd need a custom formula or three at best and a completely custom menu at worst.

What I've been trying to do is convert the shuriken and bombs to working the item menu. Somebody else was also working on this already.

To make this more relevant to the topic... I did figure out that in order for a throw item to work in the Item skill set it's animation type should be set to 090100.

Additionally, it seems to be referencing the effect it uses by skill instead of using the item graphic. Shuriken uses Thunder Breath, Magic Shuriken uses Dragon Tame, etc...
I found 2 places in SLUS_942.21 that has a string with the values for the skills shuriken, etc. are referencing.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 08, 2008, 07:16:02 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
*sctratches head*

hmm okay i think ill just make it use the effects without the displayed item icon....  its too over my head. thats very useful info tho Vanya

Skip Sandwich

September 08, 2008, 09:41:29 pm #47 Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:56:19 pm by Skip Sandwich
about converting shuriken and bombs to work in the item menu, it is possible to set the item skill to use a shuriken or bomb, but if you try to use a weapon formula on that item, it won't use the WP of the item when you throw it, but rather the WP of whatever you have equiped (if anything, and just deals barehand damage if not). it'd definatly take more then what FFTPatcher is currently capable of doing in order to make it work.
as far as alternate items go, I went ahead and overwrote the antidote, eye drops, echo grass, maiden's kiss, and soft items (who uses them anyway? I never have, at least) to inflict rather then cure status (the maiden's kiss item now inflicts sleep, as its a somewhat less debilitating status then frog, and the soft item now inflicts zombie). I'd love to be able to make a damaging grenade-type item using formula 03, but status infliction seems to be as far as we can go with FFTPatcher (although, you could probably make one that referenced the thrower's MA stat, based off of my observations, though i've yet to sit down and test that theory...hmm...dashes off to test).
:EDIT: nope, it still references your equiped weapon and WP even if you set the item formula to only use MA.
:EDITEDIT: BWAHAHA!!! I got it work! I tested using the antidote ability, and at first, I set it reference the fire ball item, and seting the fire ball item to use formula 5F {([MA + Y]/2) * MA}, which was a failure, then, I went back and set it to reference the antidote item and set THAT to formula 5F and it WORKED!  :D
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Zozma

September 08, 2008, 09:56:02 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so you weren't able to assign an effect to it, like "Crush"

Skip Sandwich

September 08, 2008, 10:12:10 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
as far as assigning special skill effects, im limited to what it already does (the normal item graphics), however, it IS possible to make items deal damage as well as inflict/cancel status, you just have to use a fomula like 5F or the geomancy formula or something (something that references only PA and/or MA and/or SP in the fomula). its not perfect, but its better then nothing.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Vanya

September 08, 2008, 10:18:06 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I have a theory about the shuriken and bomb items. I believe that they are using the weapon formula no matter what because the data in their entries is set up to work with the throw menu and not the item menu. I'm going to find the data for the Shuriken and re write it to have the data I need where I want it. I'll test it and see.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 08, 2008, 10:46:16 pm #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
that would be great. then we could have a real grenade, screw the stupid little lvl1 elemental effects

Vanya

September 09, 2008, 10:08:51 am #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
OK. I've made a couple of discoveries.

First, I know how to convert a throw or bomb item into a new medicine, but to make a working attack item would require a new custom formula for sure. And even then you'd still have a restricted range like any other item in the Item skillset. I'll post a more detailed explanation in the New Projects forum once I get it to work 100%.

Now the more exciting part is that I know where the effect bytes for the item skills are located. I was able to successfully change Potion to use the Cure effect. I figured that they would be in battle .bin after the blank attack skill's entry and I was right. Actually it wouldn't surprise me if Melonhead already knows about this data.

Anyway, the table of item effects is at x14f6d0; 14 entries, 2 bytes each. After the last entry there are 11 pairs of FF's that should correspond to the first 11 throw skills. After that there is another entry with unusual numbers that is probably the effect entry for the balls. It seems to me that there are effect bytes for everything up to Hamedo, but I haven't tested this theory.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 09, 2008, 04:15:59 pm #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah the balls have fixed fire, ice and bolt level 1 spells attached....

great find! replacing those crappy balls lvl1 spell effects with some real effects will be great

Xifanie

September 09, 2008, 04:56:12 pm #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Yeah Vanya, for some reason melon only allowed changing effects for action abilities!?

You can change effects for all reaction abilities AFAIK (dunno if hamedo is the last one).
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Vanya

September 09, 2008, 05:07:26 pm #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I'll verify all the abilities that can have their effect changed.

Bah! Stupid Shuriken won't show up in the action menu and if I set Potion to use the shuriken item instead of a potion it still insists on using Thunder Bracelet! Annoying! >=P

All the Throw skills have entries for the effect they use, but changing those will probably cause all the items of a type to use one set effect. That is if it works at all.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 09, 2008, 05:14:11 pm #56 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so that means the archers charge skills CAN be assigned effects.... can they be given properties like any other skill?

Vanya

September 09, 2008, 07:18:54 pm #57 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Their properties are taken from the very first skill on the list. The one that says <Nothing>?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 09, 2008, 07:40:51 pm #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so uhh... that means they cant individually be given different props....? :( aww, well ... does that mean i can only assign one effect for all of them? i guess thats okay but it would be good to know

Vanya

September 09, 2008, 10:19:45 pm #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I'm not sure. You'd have to go in and edit the data and then see what happens.
¯\(°_0)/¯