• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Is there a way to change the rules governing a job class?

Started by plandr, September 23, 2011, 08:09:12 pm

plandr

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7768.0

^^ Building on this topic here (I'd have just added to the original message but this is a new topic string so I decided to make a new topic):

Okay, so essentially what I want to do is alter the primary jobs of 3A and 3B to be something other than "Limit" and "None/Blank".

I've seen people add new jobs to the game so I'm presuming its possible, but the larger question for me is rather or not its possible for me to not only add new jobs to the game, but also edit the existing job.

My primary goal in this exercise it to replace the primary jobs of 3a and 3b with other jobs in the game (specifically, "Nightblade" and "All Magic/access to all magic" - or accounting for the possibility that neither of those jobs have job trees that I can actually organically level in the same way as default player jobs, I'd like to replace them with "heaven knight" and "hell knight", respectively).

On that note, a second question:

FFTastic has the ability to assign primary and secondary jobs via the job tree in its save editor, but what job does what is a bit vague - particularly in the 2nd tree (where there are multiple iterations of "summon", for instance).

^^ Is there a list anywhere that tells what each of these options (including the myriad of question marks at the end of the list) governs?

For anyone curious about what I'm trying to do:

I'm essentially trying to replace the "free space" characters that have jobs 3a and 3b (or sprites 39A and 3A depending on how you look at it) with original jobs, battle sprites and formation sprites. With Glain's help I've replaced the formation sprites, battle sprites and portraits with the characters I wanted. Since they are free sprites I also didn't need to modify any of the games original characters (key for me). Now I'm trying to change the default jobs of the unused sprites 3A and 3B so that they can be classes of my choice. I ideally want them to be something of my choice - even generics, maybe. Currently they are the "limit" class (overpowered this early in the game since I have to assign the character the materia blade), and a blank class.

Glain

This is all FFTPatcher territory. In the Jobs tab, the very first thing you can edit is "Skillset"...

You can change that to anything you want. Check the Skillsets tab to see what's available (and edit which abilities are in which skillset!) You might be able to get away with using a blank skillset and editing it, but it may be better to edit an existing one; there are a few unused/unnecessary ones. If you are going to create new skillsets for jobs 3A and 3B, I recommend taking/editing 23 Magic, which is unused, and 20 Dark Sword, which is a replica of 27 Dark Sword (Gafgarion's skillset). If you do take 20 Dark Sword, you'll need to change Gafgarion's 17 Dark Knight class to use 27 Dark Sword instead (Jobs tab, again).

If you want, you can even edit the abilities themselves in the Abilities tab... there are a few blank slots above Potion (but the last of those blank slots is reserved, as it's for normal attacks).

If you want to change the names of abilities/skillsets/jobs/what have you, that is all done in FFTacText.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

plandr

Quote from: Glain on September 23, 2011, 08:35:45 pm
This is all FFTPatcher territory. In the Jobs tab, the very first thing you can edit is "Skillset"...

You can change that to anything you want. Check the Skillsets tab to see what's available (and edit which abilities are in which skillset!) You might be able to get away with using a blank skillset and editing it, but it may be better to edit an existing one; there are a few unused/unnecessary ones. If you are going to create new skillsets for jobs 3A and 3B, I recommend taking/editing 23 Magic, which is unused, and 20 Dark Sword, which is a replica of 27 Dark Sword (Gafgarion's skillset). If you do take 20 Dark Sword, you'll need to change Gafgarion's 17 Dark Knight class to use 27 Dark Sword instead (Jobs tab, again).

If you want, you can even edit the abilities themselves in the Abilities tab... there are a few blank slots above Potion (but the last of those blank slots is reserved, as it's for normal attacks).

If you want to change the names of abilities/skillsets/jobs/what have you, that is all done in FFTacText.

I don't know what FFTacText is, but I'll learn. You are my hero. This is my favorite game ever and you are helping me to mod it in the ways I've dreamed of... omg you just have no idea.

Glain

Glad to hear I've been helpful :) FFTacText is another program in the FFTPatcher suite. It takes some getting used to, I suppose, but using 'QuickEdit' in there should make things a bit easier.

plandr

Quote from: Glain on September 23, 2011, 10:31:55 pm
Glad to hear I've been helpful :) FFTacText is another program in the FFTPatcher suite. It takes some getting used to, I suppose, but using 'QuickEdit' in there should make things a bit easier.

I'm looking through 13. Job Descriptions and don't see 3A or 3B.

Similarly, under "20. skillset descriptions" I see that 20 is named "throw" and 23 is named "dance" which are different than what I've been editing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: In the Tactext editor under skill set names "35.Magic" appears to be the same magic as the one I edited in the patcher, although its tied to Delita's sister which I didn't notice before (I assigned her "0A White Magic" in the patcher instead just in case).

That said dark sword shows up in TactText as both "32" and "39" under skill descriptors. I'm going to edit the first one since that is the one that I edited in the patcher (20 as opposed to 27).

Will see what I can find under jobs.

Glain

Yeah, looks like you're figuring it out, but what's going on there is that the numbers in TacText are in decimal while the ones in Patcher are in hex. So for the case of, for example, jobs 3A and 3B, they're 58 and 59 in TacText, respectively, because 0x3A = 58 and 0x3B = 59.

Same with 23 Magic; 0x23 = 35. And yeah, it's Teta's skillset; good call on giving her a different one... I forgot that step.

20 Dark Sword -> 0x20 = 32; 27 Dark Sword; 0x27 = 39; etc, etc.

Anyhow, in case I wasn't clear before, before you edit any of that stuff in TacText, go to the Text menu and select QuickEdit; that'll change every relevant file the text is in. Without it, you'd have to edit every file in that list that contained that same text.

plandr

Quote from: Glain on September 24, 2011, 12:50:22 am
Yeah, looks like you're figuring it out, but what's going on there is that the numbers in TacText are in decimal while the ones in Patcher are in hex. So for the case of, for example, jobs 3A and 3B, they're 58 and 59 in TacText, respectively, because 0x3A = 58 and 0x3B = 59.

Same with 23 Magic; 0x23 = 35. And yeah, it's Teta's skillset; good call on giving her a different one... I forgot that step.

20 Dark Sword -> 0x20 = 32; 27 Dark Sword; 0x27 = 39; etc, etc.

Anyhow, in case I wasn't clear before, before you edit any of that stuff in TacText, go to the Text menu and select QuickEdit; that'll change every relevant file the text is in. Without it, you'd have to edit every file in that list that contained that same text.

Thanks. I'm editing Jobs 58 and 59 now (title and description).
Editing Skill sets 35 and 32.
Highlighted quick edit.
Will let you know how things go. Thanks a bunch. :)