• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 27, 2024, 03:43:32 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Editing Dialogue in Cutscenes

Started by Mari, January 01, 2010, 04:50:20 pm

Mari

January 01, 2010, 04:50:20 pm Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:58:23 pm by Mari
Well, I'm real new to all of this stuff. I've read some tutorials and other threads to help me learn how to work these things, and I've experimented with the programs from the downloads page, as well. (Nothing like trial and error editing on copies of my game!)

So far all I've really done and kept, instead of just doing as a test was editing the Misty Sprite (Good work on that, by the way, Zomza and Curu!) into Ramza's place.
I replaced the Ramza sprite for all chapters in the battles and on the unit menus/formation stuff. It's working just great and it's nice to be able to play my favourite game ever and get to be a girl! (No more pretending to be generics. =P)

But the final thing I'd like to do is be able to change the dialogue in the cut scenes that call Ramza a guy into calling him a girl! (One example is near the start where Ramza, Delita and Algus meet up with Teta, Alma and Zalbag.. Alma said, "Brother Ramza***" I'd like to be able to change that into Sister Ramza, which of course would make it say Sister Mari.)

Now I saw a thread that I thought might be the right thing, but I just skimmed quickly over it, because I was looking through quite a few threads that I thought could possibly be what I need.
But I didn't read all through it specifically fro two reasons.. One) I really am not sure what I'm looking for, exactly.
And Two) Once I begin working with learning stuff like this, I never wanna stop. x_x (And I really wanna learn this specific thing first before I get into learning other stuff.)

The same thing happened to me before when playing Ragnarok Online, I started working and learning on how to edit files, what all the files did and what they're for.. And next thing I know, I know that game inside and out! (When I had only gone to do that one thing in the beginning.) It did take years to learn all that, though!

Rabmling aside, here's the thread I thought might be what I'm looking for.
Would this be what I need, or could someone point me in the right direction, if not?!

Thank you for reading this and putting up with my rambling!
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4067
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

VampragonLord

youre going to want the event compiler/decompiler, extract, edit, reinsert. someone had the "dummy" events list so you didnt have to edit as much, though i dont remember who.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Mari

Okay, I have the compiler and decompiler, but it's the only thing I haven't messed with yet.
What would I be extracting? And how do I edit that thing?

VampragonLord

decompile the iso, itll take a little bit, then youll get a txt document
edit as you see fit, then compile and insert it.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Jon

You want to change all the dialogue to female versions of Ramza?? I have been recently making a parody version of FFT -by only changing the text (not events, ect.), so lemme tell ya Mari, this is going to be very long and difficult. First, what you need to do is locate all of the situations where someone refers to Ramza as either "Brother" (like you said), where someone else is talking about him (Like Vormav always calls him "the boy") or when he is spoken of in 3rd person (him, he, ect.) If you can manage all this, that is wonderful, because you will practically have to read the whole dialogue of the game in bits and pieces and sift out very slowly all the text. This is the hard part. Note: do not change the {Ramza} you come across in the text, that is supposed to stay that way and automatically changes to what you want when you name Ramza in the first Azlamazlabam thing. I am pretty sure that you will want to change also the biography parts, so open up the FFTacText program and go to Text>WLDMES and under the drop down change all of Ramza's bio info to female versions under 7, 8, 9, 10 Character Bios. That is the easy part. Lastly in FFTPatcher, change Ramza to female everywhere in ENTD thing so that you will unlock Dancer instead of Bard. Hope this helped  ;)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

philsov

to extract test.evt:

About the same process, though I'm pretty sure test.evt is in the event folder.

Conversely, I've already done half the work for you:

download/file.php?id=4446

The only problem with this file is that the numbers are a bit messed up, especially in midbattle events.  The first message should be x001, no matter what.  So if the event starts at x005, for example, you can either put four {end} commands at the start of the dialogue area, or just renumber the commands.  But the dummy text is already removed and everything is seperated by event, if you'd prefer that path.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Mari

Thanks VampragonLord!

& Thanks for all the help, Jon! Yeah it's something I really wanna do. Lots'a work or not. I'm pretty used to stuff like that, and I'm really familiar with the script so that'll help. I'll try this stuff out best I can and hopefully it all works out!

& And philsov, I'll download it thanks! I'll probably just renumber them all, for organization's sake. Thanks for the head start!

Jon

Whoa wait! Philsov is technically correct, however, not all of the first events start with x001. I know this is gonna sound weird, but when characters talk in mid battle, sometimes it starts with x005 or whatever. I have been mainly using Philsovs already done work, which imo is excellent, however a few are totally messed up. You will have to test them one by one or do what I do when things seem totally confusing: download the WotL patch for the PSX version and patch a blank new ISO. Now extract from that the TEST.EVT and change those. So, in simpler words, erhem, open up Philsovs folder, look at the first line in any event, it should say something like: //| Event Script x00A | Event Offset: x014000 | Text offset: x0140D3 |, highlight the whole Event Offset thing and then open up the decompiled TEST.EVT from WotL patch and ctrl+F it. Then copy the entire text under this until the next text offset starts, paste it into the event document, change the text to whatever you want (in your case Ramza male to female) and then save and compile. That is why this will in theory take forever. You will need lots of patience, but as you can see, I have been doing this for my parody version, so that proves that it not only is possible but also is an interesting thing to learn. Good luck and don't give up ;)

philsov

Quotedownload the WotL patch for the PSX version and patch a blank new ISO. Now extract from that the TEST.EVT and change those.

Erm, wouldn't that transfer over the entire wotl translation?  If the event file is that messed up (not that I can see how...), yes, you can have a real decompiled file to pull from for the event, as described above -- but I wouldn't recommend using FFT:C to do it :p

Mari

I don't really like the Psp's translation and it can't be Complete or 1.3 or any other, 'cause I'm testing it on my iso I use for Solo Straight Character Challenges, so it has to stay normal game.

And I can't seem to find the place that has the (x001) or (x005) in them. @.@

Jon

Yes and no to Philsov, I didn't mean to patch the WotL onto the female version patch, but yeah, ummm, how to say it, some of the events from your folders there are totally messed up. Sorry dude if I offend you, but they are totally useless. However, I said some, not all, MOST are perfect, but beware to get some strange occurances if you only test play the game after you change all the events. I recommend to test play battle by battle, but that is just my way of doing it.

Mari, the x001 or x005 or x00any# is in the ()s after any DisplayMessage. Example:
DisplayMessage(x10,x70,x0001,x80,x00,x00,+00000,-00014,-00004,x01) the x0001 is what you would change to x0001 if it said something else and was the first DisplayMessage. Hope that helps...

Mari

Okay, so will it always be the third one after?
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll check it out myself as well.

Hrm, I'm also having another problem and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong..

I put the Compiler/Decompiler and the ATTACK.OUT editor the ATTACK.OUT file and the TEST.EVT files all in the same folder..
I made the edits to the file I wanted to change from philsov's events.
Used decompiler, changed the event.txt file to the edited one.
Run ATTACK.OUT editor, saved the file and ran compiler while ATTACK.OUT editor was still running..
And the compiler says File Not Found.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I was just trying to follow the instructions from here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4067
And since I'm not making custom events, and only changing the dialogue, I don't change the maps in the ATTACK.OUT.

Any more advice for this newbie?

Edit: Chapter 1's edits are fully complete! Still having trouble with the compiler, though.

philsov

Quote from: "Jon"but yeah, ummm, how to say it, some of the events from your folders there are totally messed up. Sorry dude if I offend you, but they are totally useless. However, I said some, not all, MOST are perfect, but beware to get some strange occurances if you only test play the game after you change all the events. I recommend to test play battle by battle, but that is just my way of doing it.

No offense taken.  

I need to redo them sometime with the correct displaymessage function, and then correctly make sure // is in front of everything that needs it; I know a few of the headers are screwed up.  A little late now, but for future ones that are fubar can you jot them down for me?

Edit:  Mari, you still need to extract a test.evt file to for the event compiler to compile back into.  And then replace that modified test.evt back onto your iso (with CDmage or whatever).

Mari

Quote from: "philsov"
Quote from: "Jon"but yeah, ummm, how to say it, some of the events from your folders there are totally messed up. Sorry dude if I offend you, but they are totally useless. However, I said some, not all, MOST are perfect, but beware to get some strange occurances if you only test play the game after you change all the events. I recommend to test play battle by battle, but that is just my way of doing it.

No offense taken.  

I need to redo them sometime with the correct displaymessage function, and then correctly make sure // is in front of everything that needs it; I know a few of the headers are screwed up.  A little late now, but for future ones that are fubar can you jot them down for me?

Edit:  Mari, you still need to extract a test.evt file to for the event compiler to compile back into.  And then replace that modified test.evt back onto your iso (with CDmage or whatever).
I mentioned that I already had the TEST.EVT file, in the same folder, in a previous post.

Jon

@Philsov- Will do. I will write down all the screwed up ones from Chapter 2 onwards, because that is where I am at with the parody version. ;) Get rid of the ATTACK.OUT. You might also want to change the other things I mentioned above in the TacText too for a completion feeling for the biographies, but that is optional. (I mean, who actually reads the Brave Story bios more than once??)

Mari

Well as I said a few times, I have been following this guide as how to do it. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4067
And I do have those files too, but it still gives the error.

Okay, I got rid of all files except the Compiler/Decompiler and it's readmes, then I extracted the TEST.EVT from my rip again.. And put it in the folder.

All it extracts is PSX Events.txt
Not the event.txt

I just have that file from Philsov's thingie.. There are all 7 mentioned files in the folder and only those, but I still get the error.
(Event compiler, Event Decompiler, Compiler Readme, Decompiler Readme, TEST.EVT, PSX Events.txt and event.txt)

Edit: Bio parts is already done and accounted for, it worked all the way and is patch up fine.

Jon

Okay, you need to make an event.txt file and from there you copy 1 event from Philsov's stuff, change it in event.txt (so copy and paste the text), after you are done save the event.txt, compile it (with hopefully no error, and when you keep getting a certain error, paste what it says here), then after it compiles successfully, open the next event in Philsov's, copy it and paste in event.txt, change it and save and compile it. Do this over and over with every single event you want changed. That is why I said it will take quite some time to do ;)

Mari

Yes, I understood that before. You're misunderstanding me now. =P

There already is an event.txt I just said that in the lasd post!
And I've said what the error says, as well, in my post two before that. @.@

Mari

Thanks for all the help, everyone!
We finally got it all solved, some people on IRC channel helped me out and we got it fixed!

The project should be done tonight. And then I can start researching to work on my real big project~!