• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:31:03 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Red Wings Project

Started by Jon, September 20, 2012, 03:22:42 pm

Jon

September 20, 2012, 03:22:42 pm Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:46:00 am by Jon
Red Wings
Hi everyone!  :mrgreen:
I want to create my own mod finally, and I'm gonna. Right now I'm still fleshing out the story but basically it will be a short, one chapter mod. I want to create custom events and probably a few custom sprites to go along with it. I know my events I made up to this point were mediocre at best, but I hope (maybe also with some help/ideas from all of y'all) that they can become more exciting with this project. Like the title of this thread states, this will be a mod on the attack of Mysidia, from Final Fantasy 4. Any suggestions or critiques will be much appreciated as I start to develop this, don't be afraid to share your opinions as well!

Introduction
As of right now, I'm working on the story mainly, but I already have in my head how this game will be shaped. I want the story to start with a "naive, brave and proud" Dark Knight Cecil, the Lord Commander of Baron's Red Wings. He leads his men, the Red Wings on the assault of Mysidia to obtain the Crystal, which as dictated to him has become too dangerous in the Mysidian's hands. The Red Wings will play a major role in the battles, but the focus of the story is on Cecil and how he reacts and comes to terms with himself once he realizes that he obviously is slaughtering innocent people for the whims of his King. In a certain sense, its kind of like Cecil is an obedient puppet...

Events and Maps
Not even close to finished, but here was some random stuff that I wrote down for an introduction, this obviously will be revised until I'm happy with it.

Maps
First map Orbonne Monestry inside(opening speech): Arguary Woods
Second map Orbonne outside(battle in the town): Gariland Magic City
Third map Military Academy (approaching water crystal room): Citidel of Igros
Fourth map Gariland Magic City (battle with Elder): Curch of Zeltennia(?)

Cast of Characters
Dark Knight Cecil, Red Wings Biggs, Wedge, and Nameless(player's choice), Black Mages, White Mages, Elder of Mysidia

Taken from FF Wiki:
The Black Mage can cast Black Magic and knows Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Poison, Sleep, Stop, Fira, Blizzara and Thundara.
The White Mage is able to cast White Magic. She knows Hold, Libra, Protect, Silence, Esuna, Slow, Cure, Cura, and Raise.
He has access to all White Magic except Holy. He has no equipment except for a Staff in his right hand.The Elder only has a maximum of 520 HP.

Story
*Intro*
Cecil: Soldiers! Hear me now! The Mysidians have been secretly plotting behind our backs and know too much of the Crystal and its secrets! His Majesty deemed it so! Our kingdom's peace and prosperity are at stake! Think of your wives and children! Think of our kingdom's future! We are the pride of Baron! We are the Red Wings!

Soldiers: Long live Baron! Long live the Red Wings!!

Cecil: Their vile town of spell casters lies on the other side of this forest! We're going to win back the Crystal! On this day we fight!  Now go! For the honor to be called a Red Wing!! For Baron!!!

Soldiers: Yeaaahhhhhhh!!!!

-

White Mage: Soldiers of Baron!? Here!!?

*runs*

Cecil: Ha! See how they flee like cowards before our might! Go and run! Warn your countrymen! Nothing will stop us, you wizard bastards!

*during battle*

Cecil: Watch out men! These Black Mages can cast all kinds of hideous spells! Attack quickly in force!!

*after battle*

(that's it for now, sorry its so short but I hope you can see where this is going...more to come soon...)

There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

MountainDew~

So I'm assuming it won't be like FF4, where they actually had doubts about attacking Mysidia, and didn't want to do it? Where Cecil actually didn't know anything about what crystals did?

This sounds cool though. Nice to have another perspective on things.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Holographic #1363

Jon

You do have a good point MountainDew, however I always assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the Red Wings just attacked and took the Crystal, and then thereafter had a bad conscience about it. The game itself was never too clear on the whole ordeal since all you get is a flashback with either no dialog or some simple text like "Take them!" in the Crystal room depending on which version of FF IV you were playing. Please read this in the spoiler:
Soldier: Lord Captain! We're nearly to the Baron border!

Cecil: So we are.

Soldier: It troubles him, too. Orders may be orders, but this? This goes too
far.

Flashback to the Mysidian Crystal room, where Cecil and his men take their
Crystal by force.

Soldier: Lord Captain!

Soldier: We are the Red Wings - the pride of Baron! Must we now be thieves,
sent to plunder from the weak?

Cecil: Enough!

Soldier: But, Lord Captain!

Soldier: The Mysidians offered no resistance. And still we cut them down.

This is the DS version of FF IV. Here it seems to me the men are confused about their actions after they take the Crystal (since there is a flash back). I guess I will base it on this one. Another good question would be is if the Red Wings had such a bad feeling beforehand of the attack, why did no one speak up or revolt, especially Cecil himself? He does have some sense of loyalty but I'm pretty sure if he knew he was doing evil, no matter for his king or not, he wouldn't have done it. Thanks for the feedback, this got me thinking on this whole thing on a different level, it gave me some more good ideas on how to characterize both the Red Wings and Mysidians. Actually the flow can be kinda like what I described above, like Cecil starts out as a loyal and brave soldier, obedient and somewhat innocent/ignorant to the King's true motives, but by the end of the mod realizes he is nothing more than the King's killing machine. More to come soon! :mrgreen:

MountainDew~

September 23, 2012, 02:29:11 am #3 Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:37:32 am by MountainDew~
I'm going to level with you here. I had no idea that it was a flashback, I thought this was all a before-hand thing, then it went to the attack on Mysidia... Misread that badly in the SNES version...

So now that I feel like an idiot, two things.

1)I don't really think there's much view of the Red Wings pre-Mysidia attack, it's just the opening cutscenes of them leaving the Castle, no talking. We never really know if anyone agrees with what the King is doing. However, from what I remember, the people of Baron in general were not happy with it, and they thought the King acted strange. Maybe there was some dissent before hand that they never showed us?

2)Dark Knight Cecil is more of a person that is just looking for a purpose in life (in my opinion), than a loyal and honorable leader. His relationship with Rosa is rocky, and one of the only "true" friends he has is someone who is just as confused with life as he is.
Love triangle! Does Kain betray his friend and give in to "darker" avenues, and hope that Rosa would choose him? Does he stay on the "righteous" path, and let his best friend get the girl, while he stays alone and sad the rest of his life?

On the other hand, in Kain's mind, is it really so bad of Kain to want to better himself, and NOT be a push over, stand up for the things that he wants? What makes Cecil so much better than Kain in Rosa's eyes?

Both of them hold (held?) extremely prestigious positions, and both of them are physically, possibly mentally, equal. Fiscally, I would assume they both are equal as well. What makes it a good thing to just lay down and take it?
I don't think Cecil could stand up for what he believes is right, personally. He thrives on the fact that the King needs him. It is more obvious when the King takes away his position as leader of the Wings, and Cecil STILL obeys the King to the letter. He fights through warnings, threats, and who knows what dreadful monsters, just to get to Mist and deliver what is, as far as he knows, a small parcel? Please.

Jon

September 25, 2012, 10:36:39 am #4 Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:42:59 am by Jon
Actually, this kinda happened unintentionally but the protagonist shifted. I thought about all this stuff and everyone already knows Cecil's story, if you wanna play FF IV why play a mod on someone's point of view? So I decided that now the focus will be on the Red Wings. I'm still arguing internally with myself if I should really go all out and make a patch about a Red Wing rookie and then a whole new story from the bad guys point of view. Imagine you play as some new Red Wing recruit and then go about doing "evil" stuff that the King commands you to do, like you actually destroy Damacyan and get to kill Anna with arrows (who shields Edward with her body) or raid Fabul, etc. All those places could be retold from the Red Wing point of view because they were victories for Golbez...

Cecil & friends can be saved for events in between battles. Maybe you can fight some of them as bosses, I dunno. This also gives me the chance to make Kain a PC for the player. Evil Kain! :mrgreen:

I made the opening event but after replaying it a few times I don't like it anymore. I think I'll just start with a simple speech or something and then let the player kill some Mysidians, but after that Cecil and Kain go to Mist and the main character Red Wing will do some other missions...thinking about it...

MountainDew~

Cecil's Dark side actually did escape from the top of Mt. Ordeals.... mwahaha!

Sounds cool.

Jon

September 26, 2012, 11:33:58 am #6 Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:52:56 pm by Jon
Here is the first prototype event, please notice the sound effect at 52-57 seconds (the marching sound) will get most likely cut. I really need crits and advice to make this event shine! :mrgreen: I'm totally willing to fine-tune it, I just don't know now what has to be changed...

Real quick, the sprites are not that important right now. Cecil is a generic Dark Knight from WotL and the Red Wings are all Squires. I actually like that the Red Wings are Squires and might keep that, I made three special Red Wings, Biggs (with the portrait of the prisoner Delita has in the Gelwan scene), Wedge (with the portrait of the enemy Squire in Gariland recolored red) and {Ramza} (with a generic Squire portrait). {Ramza} has been renamed to nothing, so the player can name his Red Wing character whatever they want.

3lric

This is a nicely done event Jon, I see you are getting the hang of it. I like the camera movement, but there is still a couple things, like Cecil needs to wlak a tad faster at the beginning, and your townsfolk need to be a bit more active. Otherwise nice start
  • Modding version: PSX

MiKeMiTchi

@0:23 - Try to fix the font by taking letters from vanilla map names.
@0:39 - Test and Dancer should be closer to one another. Test in singing\casting\arms raised pose. Same goes to the other soldier talking to the 20 yr old woman, but less active. Also, have the child walk back and forth.
Cecil's walk speed is tolerable.
@0:53 - Sound is weird and noisy for movement. Kid sprite face Cecil. Dancer faces Cecil and moves away from screen.
@1:08 - The Chocobo and the man beside it should make a fade in walk appearance, instead of just standing right from the start.
@1:28 - I like this moment. :)
@1:31 - One squire from the squad should be animated here. I suggest jumping animation.
@1:51 - Cecil should move a bit here. I'd like a slashing animation for Cecil at this time, but it's your choice.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Jon

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback!

@Elric: I made Cecil walk slowly only so the player could absorb as much from the scene as possible. I had him at +004 speed, +008 being the normal walk speed. I can change that if its too slow...

@Mike: With the font I kinda like this style, I actually wanted to use it for the whole game (every map)...does it look bad? Is there a font of it I can use in Photoshop? I will move the Dancer down 1 panel closer to Test. Test will be in a loop dance frame, which actually might look funny. The dancer is singing and the soldier is dancing...As for the Red Wing talking to his girlfriend or whatever I'll have him raise his arms like you suggested, thanks for the idea! The weird sound from 52-57 is already gone, it doesn't fit there. I can have the elderly man and his white chocobo walk in, or maybe moving or something...Thanks for 1:28, its gonna be like the Red Wing salute! They all attack upwards with Broad Swords (and later better swords/weapons).

@Elric and/or Mike: Can you guys please help me with the boy walking back and forth like in a loop? If that's not possible I can manually have him run back and forth time based, but it would be much cooler if he did it himself and I didn't have to write like a bunch of lines of code to see him do it...

MiKeMiTchi

I don't know if looping movements are possible, so let's wait for someone knowledgeable about it.

The font looks really edgy. By edgy, I mean rough. There is no anti-aliasing present, and that makes it look bad. Try exporting original map names, and copy from them. For example, if you want an 'a' letter, export "Mandalia Plains" then copy the 'a' letter that image. Dunno if that'll work, but I guess it's worth a try. There's a proper way to insert texts (using TIMUTIL?), but i'm not familiar with it. Can't help you there.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Jon

Alright! A cleaned up and fixed version of that same event, please let me know what you think, crits, etc! :mrgreen:

The font I didn't change yet, its not that important anyways and can be change later like the sprites themselves (*coughcoughCecilDarkKnightcoughcough*)

3lric

Quote from: Jon on September 27, 2012, 05:06:44 am
Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback!

@Elric: I made Cecil walk slowly only so the player could absorb as much from the scene as possible. I had him at +004 speed, +008 being the normal walk speed. I can change that if its too slow...

@Elric and/or Mike: Can you guys please help me with the boy walking back and forth like in a loop? If that's not possible I can manually have him run back and forth time based, but it would be much cooler if he did it himself and I didn't have to write like a bunch of lines of code to see him do it...

Making him walk slowly to absorb the scene will only look good if the towns people are doing something. I would suggest +006

To make something loop you can put it in a block and make it repeat a bunch of times, things in a block will happen at the same time as things in the rest of the event

Jon

Thanks man! Yeah I fixed it in the post right before yours (check the spoiler), and I taught myself about BlockStart() and BlockEnd() from another event. I shoulda probably just checked your tutorial Elric, but I was too lazy actually haha. You can see this when the old man and his white chocobo walk onto the screen at the same time, that's a BlockStart/End(). Battle event (second event) coming up shortly! :mrgreen:

Pride

Get really familiar with blocks, your events will continue to improve with the use of them. Good work so far and don't be afraid to revise events as you get better.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Jon

Thanks Pride, and yeah I am using Blocks now all over, even in my second event. The next event starts with some dialog between a Black and White Mage and then Cecil jumps out and attacks the town of Mysidia. Its a pretty easy battle since its kinda like the "tutorial battle" of Orbonne. I'm having a bit of trouble with in between talking during a battle, but I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out on my own. This next event may take a while before I can make a video since technically its 3 events in one- event start, talking in between battle, battle end event (where normally Princess Ovelia gets kidnapped by Delita).

Pride

Feel free to PM me about in-battle events, I can help/teach you to set them up (via attack.out stuff).
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Jon

I'll take you up on that offer! :mrgreen:

For ATTACK.OUT I figured out actually a long time ago about changing maps, weather, time of day, music, etc. I still can't figure out to this day how to go from one map to the next, I usually copy and paste the entire event...I would really like to know if you can skip Orbonne altogether and just go straight to the world map or just have one battle then the world map (Gariland Magic City)...

I figured that if you want to keep the dialog from vanilla you just have to have at least one (or more) of the units talking to have the same x## value, so for example Agrias and Gaffy talking at Orbonne are x34 and x19 respectively, so I should just assign two units (or just one) that I want to talk to these values. Then changing camera and DisplayMessage() is simple, is that the wrong way of doing it though?

On the subject of ATTACK.OUT, I see that some people like to have battles in sequence like Golland Coal City style. I personally hate that and try to avoid this like the plague. Like Riovances and Lionel, I thought Square did a horrible job because once you go in, there ain't no coming out unless you kill everything...the only exception to this being actually Golland, there it made sense, going down in the mines to find Reis...okay enough ramblin'! ;)

3lric

Quote from: Jon on September 28, 2012, 04:44:55 am
Thanks man! Yeah I fixed it in the post right before yours (check the spoiler), and I taught myself about BlockStart() and BlockEnd() from another event. I shoulda probably just checked your tutorial Elric, but I was too lazy actually haha. You can see this when the old man and his white chocobo walk onto the screen at the same time, that's a BlockStart/End(). Battle event (second event) coming up shortly! :mrgreen:

I already taught you about blocks 6 months ago :P but yes as Pride mentioned get VERY familiar with them. I use atleast 10 blocks in most of my events. And in the case of Dante's intro I used over 20 in a 15 second period. They can make alot of things possible and more presentable

Jon

September 29, 2012, 07:23:05 am #19 Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:02:29 am by Jon
Well now that I'm learning thanks to Pride how to change the World Map, why should I have my game start this way? I only had it like this because I thought I would be forced to have my game flow the same way as vanilla, Orbonne intro, then Gariland all the way to Zeakden, Orbonne again to Lionel, etc. I'm definitely not getting rid of my first event but maybe I can have it a little later, I might have this mod go in a whole different direction actually.

QuoteI already taught you about blocks 6 months ago  but yes as Pride mentioned get VERY familiar with them. I use atleast 10 blocks in most of my events. And in the case of Dante's intro I used over 20 in a 15 second period. They can make alot of things possible and more presentable

Yeah, you did, I might add more Blocks in my first event since, I dunno if you guys noticed, the Red Wings swinging their swords all at the same time causes about 6 of them to glitch graphics wise. It doesn't look horrible or anything, the idea is pretty cool I guess, but I want it to be perfect :P

---

I'd like to ask you guys for your opinions, since I haven't done too much just yet. I've been working on this mod for only 4 days so far, so now is the time to decide what kind of mod this should be. Well I would really like to do a FF IV story, but it doesn't necessarily have to be about the Red Wings, I could try to recreate the original FF IV (I'll start slowly) in the FFT world, so FF IV Tactics. Or I could keep making the Red Wings story where you play as the bad guys. Which would you guys prefer? I'm open to all and any ideas :mrgreen: Hell, even a Dissidia type game with all the FF heroes would be sweet, but I think its a tad too similar to Jot5...

Thanks again Elric for all your tutorials and guidance, and thanks again Pride for the PM!