• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 10:27:52 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Targeting range/AoE expansion proposal

Started by Choto, April 18, 2013, 12:12:08 pm

Choto

I think we have enough of the map targeting routines to expand upon the original Range/AoE system. The question though, is if it will be enough benefit for the effort. I'd like some input, especially from patchmakers to determine if it will be a big enough benefit to go through with.

If done, I was thinking of each 0x0f (16) values corresponding to a certain pattern. Since most maps have 16 tiles, each section should be able reach all ends of the map. In order to make different designs it's simply a matter of writing an algorithm that sets the correct data for each panel. So more routines would take up more space, which is why i'd like to keep it from getting convoluted.

The AI is likely to have some issues with our tinkering too.. but if so, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Post your thoughts!

Dokurider

Could we make an AoE similar to the Dark Knight's Darkness Wave or whatever that one skill with that unique AoE was?

RavenOfRazgriz

I want to say a cone (the Darkness Wave AoE Dokurider is referring to) is the only valuable kind of AoE FFT doesn't already allow for, though I only really see it being a fringe thing.

Jumza

Or a complete square, not the ones we have now that don't have corners.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Vanya

April 18, 2013, 06:38:59 pm #4 Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:56:21 pm by Vanya
I have to speak up for the cone, too. I don't think there'll be a single more requested shape either.
I can think of some shapes, though. How about a wide 'beam' shape? Like it starts as a single square in the facing direction, then it widens into 3 and then it continues on all the way to the edge of the map.
I second the square shape, too.
Maybe a ring shape. Rings can have a 'thickness' to them. Basically like a variable bow range without a fixed origin.

My cousin happened by and had some input of her own:
Quote from: Vanya's Cousin
Random Ideas:
>Something like a variable width line of sight.  Like, if I want to fire my laser and hit everything in one direction to infinity, with a width of 5 squares.  Or maybe I want to do a wide swing of my axe and hit everyone in one direction, to a distance of 1 square, and a width of 3 squares. (Saiyuki - Journey West)
> Checkerboard pattern.  Centered on target, and then every other square radiating out from it diagonally to the end of the AoE. (Kartia)
> Reverse checkerboard pattern.  Doesn't hit the targeted square, but does hit the four squares immediately around it and all squares diagonal to those squares to the end of the AoE. (Kartia)
> Diagonal line of sight. (original)
> Random character on battlefield, with flags to determine if allies, enemies, guests, or any combo of the above are considered.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Choto

Well I do appreciate and sympathize with the different types of targeting mentioned... what I'm wondering about though is the amount of applicability they have. I'm not gonna do a large-scale hack for one ability, nah mean? This one will likely be pronounced on the back burner... if there is an increased need for it in the future maybe i'll get to it.

Oroborobo

Ball: Ability targets requiring line of sight, only hits the first thing in it's pathway, but becomes an area of effect on detonation

Star: Targets in four or eight directions from the center, proceeding in straight lines but not targeting the spaces between the lines. (Actually I think you can already do cross shaped AoE without an ASM hack, but it's somewhat limited)

Circle: An actual rounded circle instead of a diamond

Status: Only characters with a certain status are effected by the ability.

Height Restricted: only lower panels or only higher panels are targeted

Tether: The ability targets every panel directly in between the caster and the targeted ally/enemy

Random-Line-Shoot: attack a random or fixed number of times in straight lines in random directions (like with a gun for example)

Ring/Partial Ring : attack in a ring or crescent shape (have a blind-spot behind the character for example)

Backwards: Target a panel in front of you, but hit the panel directly behind your facing instead.

Alternate Linear: Attack in a line in front and behind or to both sides instead of straight forward or all four directions.

Bomb: Can target with unlimited range, but only in a radius centered on unit with specific status ailment (Poison bomb, Oil bomb, Stone Splinters, etc.)

By the way, if this interests you you should check out the Super Famicom game, "Live-a-Live" which has almost nothing but esoteric targeting patterns.

edit: if you could find a way to make Lucavi be able to use your own units as projectiles and throw them at your other guys, that would be the coolest damn thing

Atma

Nice list.  Just had a quick idea when u mentioned bomb.  Have damage taper off the further from the target area.  Even something like spear or breath that does full damage for the close panel, but less damage for the 2 range panel.  Or, to expand the idea further, hit % dependant on range, as well as the direction you hit on.  If these ideas, as well as target box/aoe aren't possible, they should be brought up in the Tethical forums try implementing them.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.