• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:14:26 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Rebirth Released!

Started by Paheej, December 19, 2010, 02:45:30 pm

Paheej

December 19, 2010, 02:45:30 pm Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:21:01 pm by Paheej
Gentlemen!  The day has finally come!  With over a year in production, Final Fantasy Tactics: Rebirth (formerly known as Project: Bahamut) is now available for public download.  FFT: Rebirth is a modification for the PSX game Final Fantasy Tactics.  The mod features one new class, the Lunar Knight, rebalanced classes, altered characters, enhanced encounters, and a slew of item and monster changes.  You can find a full list of features at the Nexus Studios Features Page - http://www.nexus-studios.org/?page_id=89.

*With the help of LastingDawn from FF Hacktics we have created a PPF version of the mod that saves bandwidth!  All you need besides this file is an emulator for yourself and an image file of Final Fantasy Tactics.  The download link for the mod is located at the Nexus Studios FFT: Rebirth Mainpage - http://www.nexus-studios.org/?page_id=60

Here is an instructional video on how to setup the modification:

Finally I would like to say personally say thanks to everyone who has helped with the development and production of this mod.  Here's a short video of me expressing my thanks.

Paheej

Could someone extract a PPF from the full mod image?  I'm not familiar with how to do that.

LastingDawn

Yep, I'll go ahead and do that. Also in that post expect my review of the first few battles.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Celdia

This looks like it will be fun to play, but I do think I'll wait for LD to put up a PPF of it before I get into it. Nice to see more completed projects around here! Good job, Paheej!
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

LastingDawn

I was the one who took down your links, but I will try to provide a substantive review and critique of the game as I play, battle to battle and chapter to chapter. All I have to say is that the presentation of this is phenomenal and once we get the ISO stuff squared away and the like the prepared ePSXe is a great boon!

Starting off...

new title screen. Looks great!

Intro -

Oh, spiffy new sprite for Ramza, it's amazing what a palette change can do at times. Battle pretty much played out the same. Nothing really popped out at me.

Gariland Fight -

Red Ramza, hmm? Similar setup to Mercenaries except without the cape, heh. Odd Palette swap on the Leader, not reflected in his portrait though. The battle was pretty much the same as far as I could tell. Ramza may have been a little stronger, but nothing too noticable. I see that Dagger's increase Speed like in 1.3.

Hmm, everyone had access to their next tiered job by this point. I see this commonly in a lot of patches, the problem is though that the shops don't really sell anything for Knights until after Mandalia and Archer's don't get a weapon until after Dorter, if not longer, if memory serves me right. To me that sort of defeats the purpose.

On that note an interesting use of palette changes for the job classes. Though I'm not sure if there's any rhyme or reason to it. Squire's seem identical to their vanilla self, I believe.

Mandalia Plains - Not much seemed changed at all. The only noticable addition was that the Thief had Steal Heart.

Also Yell still appears to be as broken as it ever was.

Sweegy Woods - I hadn't noticed any difference here, still mopped up as normal.

Dorter - A few interesting changes here, a Defense Up Knight with Move + 1 and pretty good equipment. the Wizard actually used Poison, that was surprising. Charge was made 100%, eh?

I'll continue on later, but here's that PPF.

Art of War

Kill_Bones

Quote from: "LastingDawn"Hmm, everyone had access to their next tiered job by this point. I see this commonly in a lot of patches, the problem is though that the shops don't really sell anything for Knights until after Mandalia and Archer's don't get a weapon until after Dorter, if not longer, if memory serves me right. To me that sort of defeats the purpose.
That happens in Vanilla itself LD, it doesn't have anything to do with the patch. Hell, sometimes I get Wizard and Priest before Mandalia. As for Archers, they get Crossbows at Igros, so Mandalia is the only real "Forced Squire/Chemist" fight. As for the patch, I hope someone comes along and LP's it. Sound good so far from what LD says.

Full credit to Mayhem over at RPGuild for my sig

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."  

-Abraham Lincoln

Quote from: Dome on February 19, 2011, 04:36:46 am
Sorry Eternal, I don't have balls....

LastingDawn

Maybe I've just been playing too much of 1.3... hehe, yes that one is my mistake.

Art of War

Paheej

Thanks LastingDawn, didn't know SquareEnix shut down that ChronoTrigger mod last year.  I got the PPF version up on our site for general consumption.  I'll probably just mod games from more modder friendly and reputable companies in the future.

LastingDawn

Phew, glad to see you dodged a bullet there. Alright, I'll update you with information the further I get into the hack. Today has been rather hectic, I'm afraid.

Art of War

MarblesX

On my way to Miluda 1. No real challenge so far  :wink:    Although my Ramza did get petrified in the Mandalia plains story battle. Innate monsterskill on squires is pretty funny.

Overall I'm enjoying it so far. I'm guessing this is harder than Vanilla, but I've been plugging away at 1.3 for a while so this Rebirth patch doesn't seem very hard.

Goblins tried to rob me. My current goal is to  breed the goblin family up and use them later to rob storyline characters, because it'd be fun to watch.

Paheej

Ha, yeah the Blaster on Mandalia Plains has happened to a few people.  Something not in the vanilla game for sure.  Yes the Rebirth modification will be nothing compared to the difficulty of 1.3.  Then again I would rather punch myself twice in the nuts than play 1.3, where its common to play for 30 minutes and still not be closer to the end of the battle.  However 1.3 was kind of our inspiration point for Rebirth, we wanted something that had a lot of the cool logic and ideas from 1.3, but with more reasonable gameplay and encounters.

Anyway, I love the Goblin idea.  We thought Goblins should have steal because the only way to threaten characters doesn't have to just be death, instead you could try to take away their gear or shiny new loot.  An idea that originally came from some DnD campaigns.

MarblesX

December 23, 2010, 08:02:30 am #11 Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:05:48 am by MarblesX
 I robbed Gaf's blood sword at zirekile and at golgorand with my gobbledeguk goblin guy. On my way to finish gaf off for good at lionel. I'm recording my playthrough, not sure any of chapter 1 is worth watching though.

The difficulty definitely picks up a bit in chapter 2. I've had to reset more than once now :)

Back to jumping on peoples head's with my lancers.

edit: How do I get the new palettes to display in battle? I see the modified colours in formation, in pre battle screen, but not in the battle.

RavenOfRazgriz

December 23, 2010, 08:20:29 am #12 Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:41:52 am by RavenOfRazgriz
Quote from: MarblesX on December 23, 2010, 08:02:30 amedit: How do I get the new palettes to display in battle? I see the modified colours in formation, in pre battle screen, but not in the battle.

It sounds like he didn't insert his new Palettes via ShiShi if they're not displaying during battle, or messed up somehow.  Lemme tear it open in said ShiShi real quick and check before everyone goes running around like headless chickens.

EDIT: I don't know how Paheej inserted his sprites, but I can't open the patched ISO in ShiShi, so looking it up for you is out.

MarblesX

ah, thanks for trying.

The palette changes look nice on my formation screen, help plz Paheej :D

Paheej

Sounds like you may have used a slightly different version of the original "Final Fantasy Tactics" ISO.  The version I have works fine.  Please check your private messages on this forum or email me at strepj@gmail.com for detailed instructions on dealing with your particular issue.

MarblesX

Thanks, I see the sprites/palettes now.

Going to restart my playthrough :)

GaresTaylan

January 09, 2011, 06:36:44 pm #16 Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:15:23 pm by GaresTaylan
Couple questions - and great mod btw. Ive enjoyed it so far quite thoroughly.

1. Is Lunar Knight accessed via the same requirements as Calculator?
2. Are the pallete swaps of jobs supposed to stick? They are different colors in the menu screen but they revert back when I go into battle? I ripped the ISO from my own game - its an original US release from '97.

I have CDMage and ShiShi - although I am not real familiar with them. ShiShi cant open the patched ISO.

Paheej

Pallete Swap Colors should stick, if you email me I can give you a fix like I did MarblesX.  My e-mail is strepj@gmail.com

Paheej

Hey LastingDawn, I'm getting multiple reports of this sprite problem.  Any idea what's up with that?  Only the PPF version is having the problem.

Eternal

LD's having internet problems and he hasn't been on lately, just for the record.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817