• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:40:29 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Specific color palettes

Started by Xifanie, February 18, 2010, 10:29:22 am

cold52

Quote from: "mav"No worries, cold, this takes time and practice. Like Cheetah said, these are the best yet, they just need some refining. The females look pretty much ready. I'll refine the shades as necessary, but I think all they need are some portrait updates (I'll do that for ya, if you want). The males need a little bit of work--look at the black unit. It's hard to tell whether it's black or blue, cause both colors take up like 50% of the sprite. Look at how I did the Calculator: the collar is one shade or hue of a color while the chest piece is a different shade or hue of that same color. Neon yellow collar with a golden yellow chest piece. Take that into consideration and you'll be done in no time.

it would be nice if you could do whats necessary for the female...as well as the portraits
as for the male...
was this what you were looking for...never mind the portraits.

Pride

I think they look pretty good, expect for the blue male geo. The lighter blue is too saturated but other then that, I think they are solid
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Zozma

i hate to bring this up after the fact but i think the female chemist yellow team is a bit off.... at least it looks wrong in the screenshot. a little more pastale maybe? or perhaps fading into a light brown more? i donno what it is but its darkest shade seems wrong. the brightness right now is more ffta-ish witch we all know is not so great in fft world
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

mav

No problem, Zozma, I can use desaturated yellows for the female Chemist.
Quote from: "FFMaster"I think the yellow shirt is too bright. I also got confused when I saw the white palette, I thought it was the red one =/
Good points, I'll update those too in a bit. I could have sworn the yellows I used looked completely different...

As for the male Geomancers, they're in the right direction now. I would suggest fixing the lighter blue, as Pride mentioned, and also consider swapping the places of the dark and light shades on the sprites. Great improvements.
[attachment=0:2149278x]archerpreview.png[/attachment:2149278x]
Good improvements?

mav

And the female Archer:
[attachment=0:2lwqpta6]farcherspreview.png[/attachment:2lwqpta6]This damn yellow palette. Darkening the skin didn't help. I feel like the boot color needs to be changed, but to what?

AvengerXP

Nice work, can't wait to have them all.

I'm gonna go on a hunch and say dark orange for the boots/bandolier.

Kaz

couldnt make the boots yellow like in the male archer? the brown-yellow combo looks spiffy.

hah! the yellows are looking drop dead sexy so far. I'm calling dibs on em for the next tourney.
to hell with you mustadio haters

Cheetah

I think a nice tan color would work well for the yellow female archer, since tan is kind of yellow anyways. The white boots really aren't working for that one.

The adjustments for the male archer look good.
Current Projects:

mav

Attempted to fix the boots, lemme know what you think.
[attachment=0:2ly7uw9e]farcherspreview.png[/attachment:2ly7uw9e]

Cheetah

I like the top one, but the red hair is really throwing me off.
Current Projects:

Zozma

I think the hair looks ok, its making me think of that pink haired monk tho. but then again, it would probably be best to make her hair look the typical blonde with the yellow outfit. I think that "red/pink" hair might work okay with the black palette or something better than this one

one thing that occured to me, sprites such as the male lancer, if it werent for the fact that they use a very small amount white shade in their armor then they could use much darker shades for it. I created a really good looking dark armored lancer with only minimal pixel alterations. then again that may be straying too much from the general idea here

mav

Quote from: "Zozma"one thing that occured to me, sprites such as the male lancer, if it werent for the fact that they use a very small amount white shade in their armor then they could use much darker shades for it. I created a really good looking dark armored lancer with only minimal pixel alterations. then again that may be straying too much from the general idea here
No, trust me, there are a lot of sprites that make me say "Oh...if one of our spriters just changed this then this palette could be so much better." Or "We should replace this sprite with one that was created by so and so." I suppose that's not the idea here, but after we see the palettes in action, that may be a necessary step to take.

Oh and the reason I gave her this hair color is because I was afraid that the more brownish one would clash with the clothing color. It actually looks better to me. Take a look yourself:
[attachment=0:3pxtn26c]farcherspreview.png[/attachment:3pxtn26c]
If there are no gripes with any of the male or female Archers, I'm gonna go ahead and load em up in the palette editor. Next sprites will be the male and female Mimes. Wow, we're almost done here.

Zozma

yes this newer version with the brownish hair looks better, the redish pink was too much but i think its mainly because the gloves are that color too

cold52

I can only hope I got it down this time -_-;;;

Cheetah

These aren't bad Cold, you just aren't using the same colors that Mav is using with all his recolors. Thus they don't match. Do you need help finding ways to access the colors that Mav is using?
Current Projects:

mav

Hah, no worries, cold. These are ready. Post up the .BMP or .spr if you can. I'll fine tweak em as necessary.

cold52

Quote from: "mav"Hah, no worries, cold. These are ready. Post up the .BMP or .spr if you can. I'll fine tweak em as necessary.
done  8)

mav

Awesome, I'll get these three sprites done and uploaded tomorrow. Do you have the female Geomancer too?

cold52

I do  8)

mav

Alright, I completed the Archers. Please save the attachments, test em, post screens, and give feedback. I'm pretty drained right now, so I'll try and get the Geomancers cleaned up tomorrow and then post the previews of the Mimes and maybe the female Thief. My goal's to be done by Sunday or Monday.