• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:51:45 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Custom Job Title and Skill

Started by lylesenpai, February 24, 2021, 09:55:22 am

lylesenpai

Hi guys,

New to modding and I finally grasp the ability to change sprites. However, there's one problem that has been bugging me for quite some time now. I was wondering if is anyone around? Or should I say active and have the know-how to create a custom job and skills...

Let's say i have changed Algus to Aeris via Sprite Changing. But I wanted Aeris to have a Job title "Flower Girl" and she's supposed to get "Holy Magic" as her skills (Same as Alma and Ovelia). I wanted to change Alma which valued 14 on Gameshark Code and the sprite will turn into a Dark-skinned Male Cleric.

My worry is i cannot see his code on Shishi Sprite Editor. And if i will use Alma. Aeris will just take over alma in the entire game.

So, there. I hope you guys could help me out with this one. Thanks!

Btw, this is just plain FFT aka Vanilla if i'm not wrong.
  • Modding version: PSX

Jumza

If you're using Shishi then you also have the FFTPatcher and FFTacText programs, which will allow you to make the changes you want. Algus' sprite is one of the first few listed in Shishi, so you can just change his sprite there. Then, Algus has his own Job in the FFTPatcher (Job 7) with corresponding skillset 1F Battle Skill, you can either change that skillset to be Alma's skillset in the Job tab, or you can edit its name in TacText and then put in the skills that you want (in the skillset tab)!

Explore FFTPatcher, TacText, and Shishi to make sure you have a good grasp of what those programs are capable of doing!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

lylesenpai

Quote from: Jumza on February 24, 2021, 10:30:17 amIf you're using Shishi then you also have the FFTPatcher and FFTacText programs, which will allow you to make the changes you want. Algus' sprite is one of the first few listed in Shishi, so you can just change his sprite there. Then, Algus has his own Job in the FFTPatcher (Job 7) with corresponding skillset 1F Battle Skill, you can either change that skillset to be Alma's skillset in the Job tab, or you can edit its name in TacText and then put in the skills that you want (in the skillset tab)!

Explore FFTPatcher, TacText, and Shishi to make sure you have a good grasp of what those programs are capable of doing!

Woah, so everything's there? I need to do some studying to know that then. Thanks!

lylesenpai

And yeah, I tried using fftpatcher and i think i kinda got how this works. Its strange that i cannot work well with ffthacktext. I cannot paste the parts i needed for the custom skills. Other than that, I've done a great job turning Algus into Aeris. Can you help me with that?

Jumza

You'll have to be a bit more specific with what the problems you are having are. If you are able to open TacText, open your game image, then select things like Ability Names and Job Names from the Quick Edit drop down, and patch your image, that's basically all there is to it.

There have been issues with TacText in the past, my recommendation is for you to have downloaded the latest FFTPatcher Suite (At the time of this post, v0.493 beta v6 https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7163.msg229430#msg229430) to make sure you are using the latest (and least buggy) versions of these programs. Another good practice is to save your changes as .fftactext files before patching, and when opening Tactext later on to make more changes, load the changes from the tactext file instead of from the image.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.