• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:20:05 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Help with class changes

Started by Starmage21, February 18, 2016, 11:25:40 pm

Starmage21

I'm going to make something of a "Strawberry" version of the Vanilla PSX game.

My original plan was to replace the Dancer, Bard, and Mime with some new classes (Dark Knight, Holy Knight, Divine Knight), but apparently the Mime's skillset is pretty hardcoded in and makes it a pain to deal with.

Also, there is the gender requirement on the Dancer and Bard, and ASM hacking the gender requirement off messes with the Job Wheel.

Would it be feasible to remove the Mime from the Job Wheel, remove the Dancer and Bard's gender requirement, and put the (replaced) Bard in the Bard/Dancer Job Wheel slot and the (replaced) Dancer in the Mime slot on the Job Wheel to keep it from spazzing out?

So far, I'm pleased with the skill set changes for the Sing and Dance skill sets. I made the entry requirements for the new classes low, and in the first battle Lavian had Holy Sword and used it on the bad guys (this should also mean that random skill bad guys should have the sword skills too!). But only women could be holy knights (replaced Dancer), and men could be Dark Knights (renamed Bard).

Is there a better way to go about this other than Renaming the Job, and Skill Set and reassigning the skill slots?

Jumza

Yeah you're going to want to wait for this to be finished :)

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11268.0

This should then solve all of your problems!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

And Mime is still hardcoded to not have job levels or JP, so whichever you replace it with is still gonna need to be unlocked at level 8 and mastered.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

Doesn't Choto's ASM to make Mime behave as a normal job take care of that?

Angel

Yes, it does. That's what happens when I post at 4am.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Starmage21

Thanks guys!

This is my first crack at modding and ASM, but I am a SQL DBA by day. I learned early on not to redo work if someone else has already done it (and in some cases did it better than I wouldve thought to).

1.) Choto's ASM has a hack to make the Mime a "regular" job.
2.) I still want to do something about the Bard/Dancer, I think I'm going to make it the Divine Knight copy for both sexes
3.) Since the Divine Knight can use Swordskills to break equipment (gonna use someone elses hack that makes it a % chance), the Holy Knight has a lot of damage/status versatility, I'm going to turn the Knight into a Dark Knight, give him Dark Sword, Night Sword, the Power/Speed/Mind/Magic Break, and maybe Dark Holy.
4.) Give the "Regular" Break skills to the Squire.

Choto

Good ideas!

1.) My hack removes alot of the hardcoding but the game only allocates space to store mime's JP and job level but not learned abilities. So that job will still have to be auto-master I think. Although.... if one were to use the non-applicable gender learned abilities data for the mimes, you could make an ASM hack that fixes that problem.

2.) This is what I think you should do. It's much easier to just make Bard/Dancer mirror jobs.

Aqueous

Every one knows women are sweetness and men are sour, of course only women can be a Holy Knight!

Anyway, until Xif releases his new mod you can use RAD3 for this - you might already be doing this.

I've also been spending some time adding to the RAD3 hack - it already has a few extra things like JP requirements for a job to become available and the option to "replace" a shared job with a new job - but I plan on adding a function that makes jobs mutually exclusive based on you making a choice which I'll personally apply to Holy and Dark Knight but should be possible to apply to anyther. Simply put, both will unlock at the same time but the second you invest JP in one the other will become unavailable.

So for example you could - instead of replacing Knight with Dark Knight entirely - make it so once you master Knight it unlocks Dark Knight in its place.

Angel