• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:59 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Eternal's Pokemon Y Wonder Trade Challenge

Started by Eternal, November 07, 2013, 12:30:53 am

Eternal

November 07, 2013, 12:30:53 am Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:43:47 am by Eternal
So for those of you who have Pokemon X/Y, you probably know about the Wonder Trade feature. If you don't, in a nutshell, you basically instantly trade one of your Pokemon with somebody in the world and get a random Pokemon in return. It could be something awful like a Bidoof, or something amazing like a Dragonite. You just never know. This topic will document my adventures through Pokemon Y as this challenge progresses.

Friend Code: 3969-3789-3703

Starter Obtained: Chespin (To trade to a friend, is not part of the Wonder Trade Challenge)

I'm trading away Route 2 fodder, and this is what I received in return:

Lv. 14 Smeargle for Pidgey
Lv. 30 Pinsir for Caterpie
Lv. 1 Torchic for Fletchling
Lv. 1 Mareep for Zigzagoon
Lv. 29 Noibat for Fletchling #2
Lv. 21 Dedenne for Bunnelby

Early game should be easy... but I expect things will get a bit harder later. Let the journey begin!

-PRE GYM 1 & GYM 1-

So far most of the challenge has been in raising my level 1 Torchic and Mareep. They've come into their own and are somewhat capable fighters now. Torchic came bred with Fire Spin and Slash, so now it's starting to kick ass. It's Adamant, so Slash will be very nice in a bit. Viola's gym is Bug themed, so my Torchic had absolutely no problem burning through the competition. Viola's Surskit surprised me by using Water Sport instantly, greatly nerfing Torchic's damage output. It did not, however, prevent Torchic from Slashing Surskit into ribbons. It became a battle of trapping effects with Viola's Vivillion. Fire Spin vs. Infestation. Water Sport eventually faded and Ember took care of Vivillion. And with that, my victory was assured. With Bug Badge in hand, I can finally progress with the plot- and control the rest of my party.

Game Over Count: 0
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Jumza

Good Luck Eternal, I'll make sure to add you as a friend :)

3754-7229-5488 is my friend code. Add me back!

That Torchic is going to make this very easy for you :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Kagebunji

I watched some LP of Pokemon Y, and I have to admit it just keeps on getting worse, the further technology in gaming develops. To me it was charming as 2D, The 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation really were great, but with 4th and upwards, it just keeps getting worse. New Pokemon designs which make no sense, adding of new types...

I know it's off-topic here, but I just had to rant about it a bit :P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Myrmidon

good and bad, Kage.
1-3, I'll admit, was amazing...but as a competitive player, I'd like to note a few things.

Gen4 intriduced the Physical/Special split.  This allowed some Pokemon to become more useful.  Case-in-point, Hitmonchan.  Prior to Gen 4, Ice Punch was unusable because, well, it was special, and Hitmonchan's special attack is pitiful.  Add the split in, and suddenly it's physical (because it's a punch), and Hitmonchan's suddenly...not complete crap...

better example? Gyarados.  Waterfall becoming physical was an amazing help to his playability.

Gen 5, I'll admit, was a complete flop.  Some new items, however, like Eviolite, created a lot of interesting ideas for NFE Pokémon to be used (Chansey, for example, is bulkier then Blissey now...but loses Leftovers recovery).  Dream World was a cute concept, but horribly executed.

Gen 6 seems to be a bit back on the ball, but I'll admit, the 3d crap was unnessecary.  I get a headache anytime I go into Lumoise City, in all honesty...and "hit left to go left, except when the camera angle is this way, in which case it turns you" is retarded, pure and simple.

Also, which designs make no sense?  Please tell me you're not ragging on Vanillish like everyone else does...or Trubbish...because Exeggcute and Grimer will want words with you...

Dome

Don't forget Voltorb
A FUCKING BALL
THAT EVOLVES TURNING UPSIDE DOWN XD

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Eternal

Torchic has Blaze and no Blazikenite, sadly. Luckily, however, it is Adamant!

-PRE GYM 2 & GYM 2-

Smeargle is going to be benched for the rest of the game due to sheer uselessness, and is going to be the one replaced with HM Slaves as they're needed. Torchic and Mareep have evolved into Combusken and Flaaffy respectively. Dedenne's in the game now as well, and its Parabolic Charge (75 Power after STAB and heals the user for half the damage dealt) has made it surprisingly tanky.

Ranked up to Viscount in the Battle Chateau very easily. Even with the EXP Share off, my levels are still far higher than the enemy's. Hopefully that'll change soon. Glittering Cave was a little annoying thanks to how maze-y it felt, but the Team Flare Grunts went down without a fight.

During Grant's gym, I got a few Pokemon up to level 30- including Flaaffy, which is now Ampharos. Grant himself wasn't too tough. The fight just took a bit since he used Hyper Potions and I wanted to train Dedenne, so I Parabolic Charge spammed him. Tyrnut was a little annoying thanks to Flinch spam (my Dedenne was pretty slow after being Rock Tomb'd a lot earlier), but Combusken was easily able to finish it off. All in all, yet another Rock gym that failed to be of any challenge. :(

Now I head on to gym 3 with the Cliff Badge in hand!

Current Party:
-Lv. 27 Dedenne
-Lv. 30 Ampharos
-Lv. 30 Pinsir
-Lv. 29 Noibat
-Lv. 30 Combusken
-Lv. 16 Smeargle
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Kagebunji

I mean designs overall, just look at how nice the first two generations look, the third one already borrows ideas from previous one(Tailow is pretty much a 3rd gen Pigeotto). It may also be the attachment to first two that play some role here, but IMO after 3rd gen, the designs look funky(especially Legendaries), good example would be of how the three starters Pokemon look in later gens, and how they don't even come close to first two gens.

While I agree that the split you speak of is usefull, this is like one thing good about next gens, and that's it. Pokemon X and Y introduced Mega Evolutions, and while they are cool, I just think it's kinda pushing it, a feature to even further make fanboys go wild and buy the game.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

November 07, 2013, 05:58:30 pm #7 Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:59:03 pm by Eternal
-PRE GYM 3 & GYM 3-

Reflection Cave was ridiculously easy, though it was a little annoying thanks to Ampy almost running out of PP for Thunderpunch. Pretty much everyone is at level 33 now except for Dedenne (which is 32) and Smeargle (which can fuck off).

Upon entering Shalour City, I purchased the TMs for Dig and Poison Jab. I'll likely never use them, but I had the money, so why not? Upon entering the Tower of Mastery, you're thrust into a battle with your rival, Serena. Each of her three Pokemon went down with ease. Braixen has a great design though, IMO.

The Shalour Gym is... interesting. It's basically one giant roller derby fest. Lots of Fighting types- nothing too bad though, especially since I got an Eviolite earlier for Noibat (who still sucks currently, though I know that'll change much later). The enemy levels are starting to finally catch up a bit, though whether that'll hold true remains to be seen. Sawk and Throh seem to be the biggest issues in this area, since they have a large amount of HP and can hit fairly hard.

During my battles at the gym, I was challenged by some random Japanese dude via the Player Search System. I knew I was going to lose since my team is horrid right now, but I managed to do well. He had an Articuno, Mewtwo, Lucario, and a Charizard (and two other Pokemon that I didn't see). I managed to take out the Articuno, Mewtwo, and Lucario- the latter two thanks to Pinsir.

Korrina herself was smart enough to use debuffs with Machoke- Leer and Rock Tomb- which made Power-Up Punch a little more annoying than it usually is. Key words: a little. She still went down with ease. Enemy levels are starting to match mine though... will I be able to keep overpowering enemies with such ease? Find out next time! With Rumble Badge in hand, I head to the next gym! (And yes, Combusken- soon to be Blaziken- is getting Power-Up Punch)

Current Party:
-Lv. 33 Combusken
-Lv. 33 Ampharos
-Lv. 33 Pinsir
-Lv. 33 Dedenne
-Lv. 36 Noibat
-Lv. 16 Smeargle

-PRE GYM 4 & GYM 4-

Nothing much to say here. Combusken evolved into Blaziken and learnt Blaze Kick. Ampharos has the Ampharosite now and is kicking fabulous ass. I found Leftovers, which I've given to Dedenne. He's a tanky little rat now, thanks to Parabolic Charge and Leftovers working in tandem. Smeargle is termpoarily out of the party until Surf/Waterfall are no longer needed. As per the rules, if everyone but Lapras faints, it's considered a Game Over.

The fourth gym is Pinsir Paradise- lots and lots of Grass types to just run all over. Pinsir got some much needed levels here thanks to his X-Scissor. Ramos went down easy, but Jumpluff kinda surprised me with Leech Seed -and- Acrobatics in its arsenal. Gogoat went down to X-Scissor and Weepinbell... is freaking Weepinbell. A light breeze could've taken it out. Moving on here, folks. At least I got Grass Knot out of it.

Current Party:
-Lv. 36 Dedenne
-Lv. 35 Ampharos
-Lv. 37 Pinsir
-Lv. 37 Noibat
-Lv. 37 Blaziken
-Lv. 30 Lapras (HM Slave)
-Lv. 16 Smeargle (Boxed)

EDIT: Just got a Shiny Trapinch!

-PRE GYM 5 & GYM 5-

Again, not a huge update. The Power Plant was ridiculously easy (Team Flare admins having only one Pokemon? Seriously?) and I managed to snag a shiny Trapinch along the way. Noibat is being horrible as always and I'll be glad when it evolves at 48.

Clemont's gym was a good chance to get a ton of EXP, but I chose not to since the game is already very easy. Anyone who's watched the anime will have no problem with the Who's That Pokemon gimmick in the gym. Magneton went down to Dedenne's Dig (which I removed Return for), everyone else went down to Mega Ampharos' Power Gem. Easy battle when it was all said and done- the prize was amazing though. Thunderbolt for Ampharos and Dedenne. Time to kick some more ass!

Current Party:
-Lv. 40 Dedenne
-Lv. 40 Ampharos
-Lv. 38 Pinsir
-Lv. 38 Noibat
-Lv. 41 Blaziken
-Lv. 16 Smeargle (Boxed)

Myrmidon

Taillow Line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_swallow

Pidgey Line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Waxwing

no...just no.  thusfar, I don't think there are that many duplicates of real-world Pokémon.  Especially not in birds, which there are a lot of variances to.  I'm not saying there aren't, but they're few and far between.

@Dome:  look up Inkay.  It literally evolves by turning upsidedown.   Seriously.  You need to turn the goddamn DS upsidedown while it's levelling up.  my wife was SO pissed at this because we were trying SO hard to not look anything up...

also, on-topic, Eternal? if Smeargle sucks shit so badly, look for double battles.  Have your 2nd Pokémon use a move you want Smeargle to know, (and be faster than Smeargle), then have Smeargle use Sketch on its partner to learn the move.

Also: Shiny Trapinch?  what nature?  if you're willing to trade it, my wife bred up a shitton of Dream World Eevees (and non-DW) with Wish - if you're looking for a particular nature, I might be able to get it for you...

Eternal

-PRE GYM 6 & GYM 6-

Route 14 is one of my new favorite routes. Just sayin'. Creepy vibe, great music, and some fun random encounters and trainers really made Route 14 stand out to me. Shame the other routes are kinda boring. =\

Anyways, onto Laverre Town. Fairies. Fairies everywhere! The gym is actually... kinda annoying. Charge Beam/Rest/Snore Dedenne, Rain Dance Azumarill, etc. Normally I'd just run things over with Pinsir's Storm Throw and X-Scissor, but Fairy types resist both of those. Enemy levels are also (slowly) catching up to me, so that doesn't help. Enemies are also using Moonblast, which is basically Psychic, and they get STAB from it, which -really- hurts. That said, Pinsir finally learnt Swords Dance, meaning he should have an easier time now. Yay.

Valerie herself was... interesting. Mawile went down to a max ATK boosted Storm Throw Pinsir. Mr. Mime went down to a max ATK boosted X-Scissor. Sylveon went down to a max ATK boosted Cut. Guess she wasn't that interesting afterall. Oh well, with the Fairy Badge in hand, I continue my journey.

Current Party:
-Lv. 41 Dedenne
-Lv. 41 Ampharos
-Lv. 42 Pinsir
-Lv. 40 Noibat
-Lv. 41 Blaziken
-Lv. 16 Smeargle (Boxed)

Jumza

November 11, 2013, 10:16:47 pm #10 Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:46:29 am by Jumza
Eternal, just got you as a registered friend! You're friend Safari is ghost type and the 2 pokemon that I am able to find so far are Pumpkaboo and Lanturn (which means i can get one with infiltrator and then when it evolves it gets shadow tag! YESSSSS cruel game is cruel. They got rid of Shadow Tag as a hidden ability for Chandelure :( ). So that's a pretty good selection of ghosts right there. If we battle or trade then I can find your 3rd.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Eternal

November 11, 2013, 10:26:28 pm #11 Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:33:32 pm by Eternal
Challenge me to a battle. For some reason you're not showing on my Friends List.

-PRE GYM 7 & GYM 7-

EDIT: I had a huge post typed out for this next section, but I lost it. :(

Anyhow, a lot happened. Noibat finally evolved, Blaziken learnt Flare Blitz, and all is right with the world. Olympia was a really fun enemy, if only because I liked her design and her team. Unfortunately for her, Mega Ampharos just learnt Signal Beam, which decimated each and every one of her Pokemon (except for Sigilyph, but Thunderbolt took care of that). Long, long summary short: my team is finally gaining momentum and is steamrolling everything. I expect this to be a trend. You'll notice how high my levels are compared to the last update- basically, there is a huge gap between this gym and the last one. I had a huge update written up and everything! Oh well. Onto the next city.

Current Party:
-Lv. 47 Dedenne
-Lv. 51 Ampharos
-Lv. 49 Pinsir
-Lv. 50 Noivern
-Lv. 48 Blaziken
-Lv. 16 Smeargle (Boxed)

Jumza

If you hit the orange face icon on the 3ds main screen then it should update your friends, then if you see them online they should pop up on your in game friends list.

Eternal

Jumza

I win~ I guess that's to be expected with that team you have :P I'll challenge you again when you hit post-game :)