• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 07:58:58 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Remove chicken status...

Started by Kaedre, September 30, 2013, 02:55:18 pm

Kaedre

September 30, 2013, 02:55:18 pm Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:21:25 pm by Kaedre
The matter is this: I don't want Chicken status.

It can be funny at first, but i am thinking in a kinda serious mod type.
Also, i gonna use the marvelous "Brave becomes Fury hack", so low-brave units can be more balanced with high-brave ones. And Chiken status is a nuisance in this case, because ruin that balance making low-brave units vulnerable to low-brave attacks/spells.

My question is: instead of make all the units immune to Chicken, is posible to remove it entirely of the game?
Like the ASM that removes Wall hardcoding and becomes it a blank slot, but for Chicken instead of Wall. So i can use the slot for something else.
I don't know if is harder in this case...

P.S: I wasn't sure about posting this here or in the Help section instead, please forgive if i am wrong.

Pride

Easiest method would be to make every job immune to Chicken in the patcher.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Kaedre

Please read more carefully. ( I bolded the important part)

Pride

As far as I know, there is no asm for it, so it would be the easiest way.

Kaedre

Well, thanks for answering anyway.
I gonna do that if there isn't an alternative option. But is a pity to lose the status slot.

Maybe more people can be interested in this idea (to replace Chicken with something else), so i still have hope that someone can create an ASM in a non-too-far future.

Myrmidon

you could also remove Brave Fury/Faith increases and decreases and make them all static numbers (Ramza is always 70/70, etc.)

Kaedre

October 01, 2013, 10:09:08 am #6 Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:19:54 am by Kaedre
Well, i always appreciate the differing views. But in this case, that idea doesn't gives any benefits:
I still lose the Chicken slot, and also the Brave-altering abilities.

Maybe you (Myrmidon) can help me anyways. I read some of your post and know that you are a man full of ideas and reasonable opinions.
What do you think about Chicken status? Is only me, or is it a bit ridiculous?
Do you agree on the idea of removing it of a serious patch?

EDITED:On second thought, everyone is invited to comment. I really want to know your opinions.

formerdeathcorps

October 01, 2013, 10:46:27 am #7 Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:06:38 am by formerdeathcorps
My personal patch also removed chicken, but the issue isn't how "serious" your patch is, but how much redundancy is desired.  As it stands, chicken and frog have pretty much the same in-battle effect (makes target weak against damage and prevents use of skillset), except chicken has a means of self-removal and frog doesn't.  It's the patchmaker's job to decide which is more suitable; if he keeps both, he must then decide how the two will be (further) distinguished.

If you want to totally delete chicken:
BATTLE.BIN
0x11c280
0x1253A0
0x1271CC

The first part deleted the code healing brave while Br < 10.
The second part deleted the section that force-set chicken if Br < 10 and force-removed chicken if Br is at least 10.
The third part deleted the code giving AI control to chickens.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

RedWorld

My view on the chicken status is that I think it's just a representation of what a warrior would feel if he/she was too scared to fight out there. So when the opposing team uses their mediators to discourage your units with Threaten, then they eventually become, well, chicken and run away!

Although it could be for what it means, I find it a bit funny to see it in the literal means in the game. As for the actual chicken being in the game, I think is a bit silly! Although controlling your character from running away from battle while he/she's under 10 brave shouldn't be a thing in my opinion.

But it's your patch! Do as you may! :D

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Kaedre

October 01, 2013, 11:48:09 am #9 Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:04:19 pm by Kaedre
formerdeathcorps:
First of all, thank you so much!!! This is exactly that i was looking for!
I think that also other people can be interesed in it. So maybe you do more than to help only me.

About your comments, it is true than chicken have a similar effect than frog. But there are some differences in mechanics.
Chicken:
- Can't be removed until your brave raises to Br>10.
- Don't allows you to control your character.
Frog:
- Can be removed with cancel-frog items/spells/abilities.
- Allows you to control your character. This is very important since you can use froged units to obstaculize the enemy path (this saved my life against Serpentarius Lucavi) or use their attacks to exploit party's reaction abilities like A save, Sp save, MA save, etc.

So i have other reasons to remove it.

RedWorld:
Since i am not a brave guy, i like to think that the lack of brave is not cowardice, but rather prudence.
I understand low brave units like cautious ones; and this concept is compatible with the "brave becomes Fury" hack.
So high-brave unit are valiant, but reckless (This justifies that deal and receive more damage) and low-brave ones are wary (This justifies that deal and receive less damage)
Of course, this is just my idea. And maybe your point of view is more popular.
Anyway, thank you for contribute.

Atma

What RedWorld wrote makes me wonder if there's a way to keep the status as is, but prevent the graphical change into a literal chicken.  As it is, I find it a bit too comical.  If they looked like themselves, I'd probably utilize the status more.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Kaedre

For Atma:
The wonderful hack posted here by Formerdeathcorps removes all the chicken mechanic linked to Brave parameters, But you can still create a skill (via FFTPatcher) for add chicken status to units.
The difference with vanilla is that now, the only effect of chicken is the sprite change.
The chickened unit conserves player's normal controls and remains like a chicken forever, unless you set a CT for the status or use a chicken-canceling skill.

So my plan is this:
-Apply FDC hack without the third part. (see FDC post)
-Use FFTPatcher to give chicken status some CT and ignore attacks.
-Create a new skill called "Banish" that adds chicken to target.
-Change the chicken sprite for something like "Dead Bomb". (see attachments)

RESULT: The unit targeted by "Banish" skill become a dark flame/spirit and evades the battle until CT of chicken ends.
As the unit can't be harmed because "ignore attacks" is flagged, the skills works like FF XII "X zone" status. Except that you can create chicken(or Banish)-canceling skills. (^_^)

Pride

The thing I can think of is... What about ending the battle with a "banished" unit? The unit is not defeated and the game over routine does not check for chicken as a game over condition.

Kaedre

Don't can you set chicken (Banished) "count as K.O" in FFTPatcher status tab?
I mean, like Petrify or Blood Suck status.

Pride

lol I believe you are correct, I forgot about that. Don't listen to my nonsensical thoughts.

Atma

QuoteThe wonderful hack posted here by Formerdeathcorps removes all the chicken mechanic linked to Brave parameters, But you can still create a skill (via FFTPatcher) for add chicken status to units.
The difference with vanilla is that now, the only effect of chicken is the sprite change.
The chickened unit conserves player's normal controls and remains like a chicken forever, unless you set a CT for the status or use a chicken-canceling skill.

So, his hack still has the sprite change, but everything else removed?  If that's the case what I'd like would be the exact opposite.  Everything the same, but the sprite change removed.  In all honesty, I don't care much, but would be an improvement I'd actually like.  If it's easy for someone to do, then sweet, but if it's a pain I can live with it.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Kaedre

I understand what do you want. I was looking for something like that since before joining this forum. But for both chicken and frog.

If these status could change your units to a regular sprite, you could create a shapeshifter job, or a werewolf special unit, or a bunch of other cool stuffs.  \(*o*)/

I am not a hacker, but i believe the harcoding around this thing is specially hard.
There are a lot of talented dudes in this forum, but there are some tricky demons in the game code that keep eluding the smarter brains.
For same reasons, i think, most patches conserves the Mimes, Bard and Dancer jobs almost untouched.

Vanya

I would also be interested in removing the sprite change from chicken. Also, redirecting the chicken sprite change to another status would be good so it can still be reworked for something else.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯