• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:07:51 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

New Sprites

Started by Myrmidon, September 17, 2013, 06:41:21 pm

Myrmidon

ok, I know that there's only so much "room" to work with in the rom (or whatever), so here goes:

am I limited to 16 monster classifications, or can I have more?  can I, say, have 2 of every monster type instead of 3, or is there not enough room for more sprites?

How about character sprites? I want to make the following into custom jobs:

35 Chemist
36 Priest
37 Wizard
38 Oracle
39 Oracle
3D Knight
3F Archer
42 Wizard
44 Time Mage
46 Oracle
47 Summoner

These are, form what I can tell, primarily the Undead versions of said jobs (though I have no idea what's up with there being so many oracles).  3D and on even have "special" job commands.  I can condense the abilities I'm using by a fair amount (there's really no need for 2 Seals, and 3 Dash commands) and give some monsters human skills to make it semi-viable...not to mention that, if these are Invite-proof, they're essentially NPC-only classes which would add a touch of flair to random encounters, boss fights, or even a little surprise in Deep Dungeon.

Which addresses my main concern: room.

is this viable? do those spots (like 3D Knight) redirect to their basic sprites, or is it a separate, yet identical sprite?

Philogosten

Well I can help a bit here. They seem to be counted as monster jobs and I have been trying to figure out how to alter that however no luck yet. They are only used once and well just replace them in the ENTD with another undead creature type instead that is used more frequently. Oh and for using 2 of every monster type instead of 3 for more free slots. Totally! however they still will be counted as monster types. I personally have used those slots for unique characters with their own unique jobs and it works fine...well besides them not being able to alter their equipment or abilities in game. Now to by invite proof I am not sure if you mean recruiting them as enemies or them joining you if they show up as a guest. If they are a guest and you ticked the box for "join after battle" it should work. I think it works even if they are an enemy as long as they dont go crystal or treasure and the box is ticked in fftpatcher on their job. As for invite, just untick that box under their immunity innate status area. Hope I was able to help.
Now taking bets on which kills me first. lung cancer or liver failure

Myrmidon

yeah...I was REALLY hoping they were human, though...like, a lot...

honestly, a monster chemist never even came to mind.  Do you mean monster like Worker 8 is a monster, or monster like Boco is a monster?  if it's the former, then I can still use 'em to add a bit of flair to an encounter...like, liches and crap that you wouldn't be able to recruit instead of generic, boring "Undead Summoner".

Atma

So, even replacing them with a TYPE1 or 2 sprite makes them behave like a MON?  That's actually useful for me, if that's the case.  Can they learn abilities?  Can they change Jobs?  Can they equip items and learnt abilities?
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

3lric

You can have 2 of every monster instead of 3, however, you cannot have that third monster slot used for something else. As each monster has 3 palettes and formation sprites, and unlike generics, while they may be individually added to EVGRP (notice the palette slots for monsters)
They still have the same image throughout the 3, similar to how EVTCHR works, you can change the Palette of one of the three, but if you change the image, it changes all 3.

Though you may still be able to do it somehow if you do not intend to make those monsters inviteable, but I could be wrong there.
  • Modding version: PSX

Philogosten

Even if you change them to type 1 or type 2 they will still count as a monster. They will automatically come with their skills learned and will be unable to change jobs or equipment even if you use fftpatcher to mess with the job to tick the boxes for equipable items. I think this might be fixable with an asm hack.
Now taking bets on which kills me first. lung cancer or liver failure

Myrmidon

that's seriously messed up - they look just like human characters in FFTP - though the growths are a little...odd...

le~sigh, guess I'm back to using Alma/Malak/Gaffy/Simon/Balmafula for my replacements for Rad/Lavian/Alicia/Boco/Byblos...