• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Should FFH have its own channel for mod videos?

Started by Eternal248, August 30, 2011, 05:07:13 am

Should FFH have its own channel for mod videos?

Yes
12 (63.2%)
No
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dome

August 30, 2011, 05:13:29 am #1 Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:16:12 am by Dome
Of course!
FFH should have 2 channels: One focused on tournaments, and one dedicated to mod playthrough/promotional videos/updates/whatever
In this way, whoever wants to play a mod but can't/doesn't want to upload such videos in his channel will have a place to upload them :-)
(For example, I could make videos about CoP, Parted Ways, CCP, etc etc...)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Tyler

Definitely. I think focusing the videos on one channel will make FFH look a little more organized. I think playthroughs of the game should be on separate channels, though. Releases, updates, good information, should be on the main channel. Tournaments, I'm not sure where they should go. The main channel would be too boring if it only had update videos/releases.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: tylerf#3233

Joseph Strife

Yeah, of course, but who would be the one that would be up loading the vids? would that be Et or Xif, or would another mod for that be chosen?
But of course it's a realy good idea
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

FFMaster

No. It would mean that you would have to maintain 2 separate channels, and people watching would also have to find both channels. Promotional videos can just as easily go onto the current channel, the only time that channel rarely gets used is during a big tournament, which isn't very often anyway. And opening a channel to the public isn't a smart idea anyway, and by that, I mean Dome's example is stupid.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Dome

August 30, 2011, 06:39:05 pm #6 Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:42:04 pm by Dome
@FFMaster
Open to the public? What do you mean, that everyone should know the password?
Lol
We just need to send the video to the one (Of the few) that knows the password, and he will upload them. Simple

Also, I strongly disagree about having tournament videos and gameplay videos on the same channel

FFMaster

So why not just upload them to their own channel instead of having to send to a mod who then uploads? Sounds pretty fucking stupid still.

Dome

August 30, 2011, 06:43:12 pm #8 Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:46:45 pm by Dome
First: Relax, because there's no reason to be harsh
Second: not everyone wants to upload gameplay videos in his channel, and IMHO FFH should provide a place to upload them
A channel called "FFHackticsTournament" and flooded with tournament videos (Which are different from other mods gameplay) isn't the best place to upload them

FFMaster

The only reason the channel was called that was because a fucktard named Voldemort deleted the other channel. The channel was supposed to be a channel for everything, not just for tournaments.

Dome

What happened belongs to the past, and my suggestion still stands
Considering the current "situation", IMHO, 2 channels are better than 1
I have nothing more to say on the matter

DarthPaul

If it's a problem I think there should be two channels, but youtube also offers a playlist option. If need be just upload everything to one channel and take advantage of the playlists.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Pickle Girl Fanboy

August 30, 2011, 07:07:06 pm #12 Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:39:25 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
If it's just advertising, then the more channels the merrier (I'm thinking DarthPaul and playthroughs), but maybe there should be some organization in the channels.  Organization based on who uses them, or based on content.

Whatever you do, you should have a list of all the official channels on the mainpage, and a description of each channel - it's content or who owns it (and what they use it for).  This way, we keep with the whole user-generated content that's the whole point of the modding scene, we have trustworthy advertising (the "Official" channels), and we have organization to keep it easy to navigate for both newbs and oldfags.

Also, the more hands-off and do-your-own-thing we are, the better this will work.  And having multiple channels will prevent future Voldemorts from doing as much damage.

Owner organized
Pros
*Most secure - don't have to share passwords
*Don't have to send videos to other people
Cons
*Harder to navigate, unless you have a strict naming convention.  Like a prefix - [playthrough] OR [preview] OR [whatever the heck}
*When someone disappears, so does the ability to upload new videos.

Content organized
Pros
*Very easy to navigate
*Can keep going through changes in member absences
Cons
*Less secure - have to share passwords.  Vulnerable to ragedelete(1) and active-camoflage trolls(2).
*Have to send videos to other people when you don't have the password
*Can produce some crap videos, unless you have a system where other people review the video and remove it if it sucks.

(1) Someone who deletes other people's content, or collaboratively produced content, in response to a percieved slight.
(2) Someone who contributs enough to get in a position of authority, which they promptly abuse.

Dome

FFMaster

Quote from: FFMaster on August 30, 2011, 06:41:56 pm
So why not just upload them to their own channel instead of having to send to a mod who then uploads? Sounds pretty fucking stupid still.

Answer this question and I will concede. People uploading to their own channel is enough advertising as it is. Making 1 more channel won't change anything, if not hurt more. Plus, I'm quite sure we won't be able to make a channel with the name FinalFantasyHacktics. So what will you name it now? FFHModVideoPromos? Imo, Darth is right, just use a damn playlist.

dinosaur

August 30, 2011, 08:06:02 pm #15 Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:06:26 pm by dinosaur
I own this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/ffhpatches

I dont think there should be a separate youtube channel anyways and I am not explaining why. Good day.

Tyler

It's just how Youtube works the best - having a main channel for a hub. I have a channel with about 10k subscribers, and that's how it plays out best. People enjoy just one channel because it's convenient. Nobody wants to check multiple channels for the same kind of videos.

Truth is, an "official channel" for Final Fantasy Hacktics would give it more of an official stand. It would just look better, and would keep it more organized. Although unnecessary, considering there's a whole website dedicated to FFH.

It's best if playthroughs stay on separate channels, and tournaments should probably stay where they are on their current channels, (main channel can post if it's a huge important one). But if there was to be a main channel for FFH, it should just be for a nice hub to post all the important updates for people that are interested.

People posting videos on their separate channel could then direct others to the main channel for a boost of advertisement as well. The more people that know the main channel, the more people get involved with the community.

It's fun how Youtube works. The bigger you get, the bigger you get. Word spreads fast if enough are interested.

That's just my two cents anyway. One main channel is a good idea. Not necessary though.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: tylerf#3233

GeneralStrife

Make the tourny channel the main channel, tournys have been a big part of ffh for as long as we have existed.

Wiz

August 30, 2011, 10:23:51 pm #19 Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:26:24 pm by Wiz
I voted no.

The current channel's meant to be a collaborative one linked with all info related to it.

QuotePeople enjoy just one channel because it's convenient. Nobody wants to check multiple channels for the same kind of videos.

^, This. Don't get "multiple channels" mixed up with user channels, he's referring to "mutiple FFH channels".

When it comes to gameplay, the user's better off uploading to his/her content to their own channel then having it put in playlists (of the main channel obviously) if they so desire. Personally, I wouldn't make a playlist of X person's playthrough if it's not going to be completed with there being no indications that it's going to be finished. If people truly want their vids to get noticed, they should at the very least be committed to getting it done by showing consistency in terms of writing out an uploading schedule, when they'll be unable to work on it and such.

One Channel (FFHackticsTournament)

- Gamplay vids go on creators channel (having to torrent creators vids for owner/mod(s) to put them up is a pain in the ass)
- Promos of hacks go on FFH channel based on the Patch Creators say (Koko, Celdia, ET/Pride, FFM/PX, Dome, etc...) as long it's been worked on by many other members prior to the creation of the vid (i.e. the hack already has its own forum section that it earned from keen interest and other's support).

Now to respond to some of you directly...

@Dome

QuoteOpen to the public? What do you mean, that everyone should know the password?
Lol

We just need to send the video to the one (Of the few) that knows the password, and he will upload them. Simple

Two problems here...

Red: You clearly contradicted yourself when you said this about people uploading to the FFH YT Channel...

QuoteIn this way, whoever wants to play a mod but can't/doesn't want to upload such videos in his channel will have a place to upload them :-)
(For example, I could make videos about CoP, Parted Ways, CCP, etc etc...)

So please don't flip-flop on your position and pretend that you agreed all along with FFM, that's disingenuous.

Blue: That'd require the vid maker to upload everything anyways because they'd have to torrent/archive it then upload it to fileshare, piratebay, megaupload, etc... in order for the Channel Handlers to download and put them up. That also assumes everyone is going to finish a playthrough of whatever hack it is that they're recording, and trust me, there are many people who crap out half-way in and don't finish it and I don't want FFH to be known for that. It's not necessarily a simple process either because the above process takes a fair amount of time, and ultimately will be a wasted effort if the goal set by the creator's not finished.

@Dino:

Quote from: DinoI dont think there should be a separate youtube channel anyways and I am not explaining why. Good day.

If you're not going to elaborate why you support 2+ channels for FFH or even say "FFH should have another channel because I agree with this person's position, that is all.", then you were better off not posting in the first place.

@PGF:

Owner Organized doesn't really have any cons.

Quote*Harder to navigate, unless you have a strict naming convention.  Like a prefix - [playthrough] OR [preview] OR [whatever the heck}

No not really, playlists exist and everyone can just look over and find there corresponding one such as "Billy Bob's plays and owns FFT 1.3030 Easytype PSX" or more realistically, "Wiz plays CCP 1.944+". It's not strict whatsoever, promos could be titled "FFH Promos" and playthroughs could be named "X plays Y" at the minimum. Simps.

Quote*When someone disappears, so does the ability to upload new videos.

Not true, that's the creator's responsibility, not the mods/admins job to do that. If a mod or someone like me were gone, you could easily just ask another person with access to update the channel with your videos via a/the playlist (I say "the" assuming it's already been made) and make an announcement about it through the use of YT's bulletin system instead of having to make a vid about the update. It's fairly convenient to do it this way as well because the bulletin also shows up on the Main Page of YT (url = "youtube.com") provided you have an account and are subscribed to the channel.