• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:22:04 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Ruin my dream with logic.

Started by Kokojo, January 14, 2010, 01:06:49 am

Kokojo

Sup Guises.

I've dreamt of something long ago, and I remember it crystal-clear, more or less I was narating why there was so a shortage in Life around me, as I was in a near-empty city, in a park, alone.

So anyway, if you want, Il post the reason here. I just knows it has many logic failures, and I need them to be found, for personnal knowledge questions (Virus and society-based)

Please comment !

''It was as simple as that. A virus. It quickly spread to the whole world, in about 6 days, and the remaining 2 other weeks took care of most survivors.

6 months before the massive outbreak, a news report announced a case of illness in France. The Virus was simple, they called it an unhappy coincidence that a group of workers in some animal shelter caught an illness. I forgot what one they called it at first, I was not watching tv at that time, and I've only heard about it. The poors died three days afther, proving with its horrible death condition, blood pustules ; that it was a new sickness, but since the bearers were death and the Hospital they were in quarantined, the crisis was long forgotten a month after, in february.

In August, the outbreak started suddently. It turns out the virus needed a long incubation period - or whatever it's really called- before it became active. The deaths were quick. The first report were in the city of Dijon, France, where the first people were affected. I did not take even ten minutes, most of the news were over it, trying to cover this strange outbreak of ''death by blood pustules''. But it did not stop. The deaths quickly expaned all over france over the next three hours - deaths of almost entires cities, only a few surviving, most of them seemed immune to the illness.

It happened in a inimaginable rate. By now, I judged the virus it was transmissible simply by human contact and extremely resistant, since everybody seemed to have it. Other cities in other countries started to pile up the sick... and soon the corpses. One day you felt ill, the next you were unable to leave your bed, and the next you died. Soon, a human circus soon emerged. Citizens stopped their work, fled to far-out lands, declared their love to random people, religious chants were everywhere - My mother took up her stupid cross, even if she did not pray in all the years I knew her. Stealing became desesperate, many womens were raped by feverish mens, many more scared than their victims. Politicians died before angered citizens could make a claim ; and everyone died in their beds on ''day 3''.

The virus had a couple of name in the few days it took. ''The virus'', ''Doom'', ''Angel song'', but Unosma was called out by scientists of my country as the name of the virus, and it was the most popular... and so il use it. Unosma killed a great deal of the population, but a few standed after it spread. For reasons unknown too ; I wish I could tell more, it is just that I survived too, and il give it to immunity, even if i've not had more than little colds in my life.

Most of the people died. The ratio may be under one on one thousand, since in 2 weeks, i've found only found one person.

I wonder of things to come''

Thanks !
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Arganthonius

They should make that dream into a movie. Ok, to disprove it.
1. How does the virus have two different incubation periods? It has to stick to one.
2.There is no immunity to viruses. You can catch them more then once, unless you have a genetic mutation which causes you to be unaffected by it, in which case your family would have survived it.
3. You forgot the fever. A virus like that would cause a fever during the body's attempt to fight back.
4. There's no particular reason for it to begin in France. This new virus comes from a process of evolution(probably), so it should have happened in a. a place with high amounts of pollution, or b. a place with little medical facilities.

I hope that's enough. Hooray for logic!

DarthPaul

Quote2.There is no immunity to viruses. You can catch them more then once, unless you have a genetic mutation which causes you to be unaffected by it, in which case your family would have survived it.

There are immunities to viruses. Vaccinations take the protein coat of a virus and put it in your body where your lymph system learns how to kill it. From then on out you have the antibodies that were made to kill it. To get the same viral disease twice you must catch a different strain of said virus which your body will learn to kill and so on and so forth.

EDIT: Also add that genetic immunities can skip a generation or just not be passed on to certain individuals. As such it is also possible to carry the immunity, but not have it, and pass it on to your children. This would make for parents who don't have the immunity and a child who does.

EDIT: 2 I realize that since viruses are not alive they cannot be "killed". It is merely a figure of speech.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Xifanie

Bats are full of viruses. They live well because it's not bothering them. It seems the virus can't attack their body or something...
So basically avoid any bat bite or it could be the end of your life.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

DarthPaul

Bats are infested with viruses that are not formulated for attacking bat cells.  Most bats are insectivores which case them to pick up a large amount of pathogens that effect humans and other animals, but the bats themselves have a very string immune system anyway so the few diseases they carry that could harm them,i.e. rabies, are ineffective anyway.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Samuraiblackbelt

Koko, are you completeboy AND PSPmaster?
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Arganthonius

Thnx Darthpaul but does that mean that a person with a strong immune system could survive the virus without the genetic immunity?
Oh, and I think that a lot more people would have become fervent in religions and blame others, so there would be fights between groups that have had disagreements in the past(whites and blacks, different religions, chinese and japanese, and so on).

Dome

RESIDENT EVIL KOKOJO!!! (Less fun version without Zombies...)
I'll try to be serius for a second
It's possible for such a thing to happen, but it's very unlikely
A virus with a long incubation period, with no Symptoms for a lot of time...Maybe AIDS?
Fused with something that kills you in a very quick time...
It seems something like a mutated virus...Very strange
P.s: Take the sleeping pill before sleeping, it will help you avoid things like this to haunt your dreams

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

DarthPaul

QuoteThnx Darthpaul but does that mean that a person with a strong immune system could survive the virus without the genetic immunity?

Yes there are even documented cases of people having immune systems capable of kicking HIV in the face. Though it should be noted that it takes an extremely good immune system to tackle most viruses before the cause problems and some are just out of hand from the get go. HPV is a good example. The simple fact the HPV goes straight for the mouth and genitals means the it starts its work the moment it hits your body. Unless you get it in another fashion which would give you a chance of warding that particular strain off. The interesting thing is genital viruses have a frequency to mutate very fast upon finding a new host.

QuoteOh, and I think that a lot more people would have become fervent in religions and blame others, so there would be fights between groups that have had disagreements in the past

That was indeed a problem in the past. As a whole he world is become a bit more civil with these matters. Though that does not mean everyone is being nicer about their differences. A lot of Asians hate Caucasians. There are a ton of hypocrites and racists in America and Europe.  Really in the long run it turns to who are the ones calling the shots. Nice normal people, or radicals and racists.

Arganthonius

Thx darth. i guess they'd both be scared witless. Radicals would probably blame everyone except themselves out of fear.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Koko, one of the first principles of writing is "Show, Don't Tell."  Instead of telling us what happened, why don't you show us?  Maybe you could have a woman dying in an apartment in France (sitting in a chair maybe) while CNN or FOX or BBC or some news outlet cycles through and tells the story of the beginning of the plague.  Maybe have her clutching a dead, swollen infant to her breast (Is it her child?  Sibling?  Find out and tell us, Koko.), and have her die when the commercials come on.

The reason behind "Show, Don't Tell" is, in order to get people to read what you write, you must make them feel something.  No one feels anything except boredom when they're lectured.

So yeah.  Rewrite it.  I want to hear your story.