• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Saga Fontier (Small Mod)

Started by Zozma, December 18, 2011, 09:37:59 pm

Zozma

December 18, 2011, 09:37:59 pm Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:37:56 pm by Zozma
I decided to do this after seeing Picklegirlfanboy showing information on it.
(this is nowhere near a pain in the butt as my ff4 hack has turned out to be lol)

since its such a simple task and ive also messed with this game a little before and only need a hex editor and cdprog. (and maybe snespal)

the mods:
Make each human/mystic character slightly more unique
Mystics especially will be known for having distinct traits or elements
Add a second version of Asellus to the game in her already Mystic form (permenantly mystic)
Add Alkarl to the game as a special mystic.
Alter a few of the spells to actually be worthwhile for their cost
---------
What I have already done:
Common Mec (unused) has been turned into full mystic Asellus
Woman (unused) has been turned into Alkarl as a Mystic
---------
What's next:
each mystic will be equipped with their own unique item that can't be removed like mesarthym's mellow ring
these items grant 3 abilities, which appear one at a time as the mystic grows stronger (learns their 3 mystic skills sword/glove/boots)

Their "unique" skills plus magic that they have the gift for:

White Rose: Rose Broach- Flash, Smile, Cosmic Rave [Mystic, Mind]
(how very charming, with Smile and Cosmic Rave she certainly isn't useless. she also is now the only mystic that has the gift for mind magic)

Ildon: Wind Amulet- Thunderbolt, Gale Attack, Magnetic Storm [Mystic]
(his attacks are pretty good, I can't think of another school of magic to give him the gift for though. this is your wind mystic)

Zozma: Fury Ring- Heat Smash, Ignis, Heatwave [Mystic, Evil]
(Zozma originally did not even have the gift for evil magic, corrected! also this is your fire mystic.)

Mesarthym: Mellow Ring- Ice Smash, Life Rain, Maelstrom [Mystic, Rune]
(clearly your water mystic)

Silence: Stone Charm- Rock, Quake, Quicksand* [Mystic, Shadow]
(I think shadow makes sense on him as u get him via shadow quest. He may have butterfly wings but this is your earth mystic)
(Quicksand will be altered to do top tier damage like other 3rd tier mystic attacks)

Timelord: Mystic Gloves- Fist, Gold Hand, Corkscrew [Mystic, Time]
(this mystic already has a huge advantage, gave him some decent fist fighting skills, i read that "fist" combo's really well)

Rei: Mystic Mail?- Lullaby, Pheremones, Sabers [Mystic, Mirage]
(I dont really know about this setup, then again she is probably my least favorite mystic. Im open to suggestions)
(I'm sorry but she needs work, and 6 life points? horrible)

Nusakan: Mysticwear- Bloodsucker, Magic Heal, Illstorm* [Mystic, Arcane]
(these 3 skills seemed appropriate for this doctor, Illstorm has been altered to do top tier damage instead of just status infliction)

Asellus (Mystic): Dusk Blade- Kasumi, Moonlight Cut, Moon Scraper [Mystic, Life]
(she has the stats of the version you find in the Cygnus/Emelia's quest. as a full mystic that makes her pretty tough. and with life magic? great!)
(Moon Scraper, just like Rei's Sabers, is a skill normally not usable. I know it works, however a slight graphicall glitch occurs where her animation freezes afterwords no big deal)

Alkarl: Miracle Blade- Kaiser Wing, Final Crusade, Re-Al-Phoenix [Relm, Space]
(Alkarl makes the only mystic that doesnt have mystic magic as my only reason for making him one is so he can learn some alkaiser skills)
(I threw in Space Magic as well to have a human/mystic that has the gift as opposed to just one stupid monster)
------
Humans:
a few humans will be slightly altered

Mei-Ling: Oh my god 3 str and 70 hp? thats terrible! lets make that 10 str and 90 hp and lets throw in the gift of Life Magic too (10 lifepoints? perfect!)
(She is probably my favorite human female but her starting stats were always sub-par)

Doll: Why does a human have mystic magic? well lucky human, Im gonna give you the gift making her the only human with it.
but that's not all! Im going to pull out the ol SNESPAL and change that ugly shade of greyish purple she has for a haircolor into a rose/hot pink

Lute: I donno why I like lute, i guess i have a thing for bards (and so does the saga series lol), anyway Ill give him the gift for Relm magic.
(if i have any items left i may give him one that lets him use Battle Song/Sad Song or whatnot)

Text corrections:
there are a few incorrect spellings as well as dummieditems labled "not use"

More to come. the mod is mainly to make mystics more unique and desireable since humans really have the biggest potential.
i could just make all the mystics into humans but that would kind of take away from the game and its 4 main races.

Lastly, "Final Strike" now does significantly more damage as it should since it destroys the weapon its attached to
(last time I also made it so the weapon didnt break either, but thats totally "broken" in the other way lol)

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

3lric

This is awesome! I freakin LOVE Saga Frontier! cannot wait for this
  • Modding version: PSX

Zozma

for those of you whove played this they know doll has "old maid" purple hair
i think cotton candy pink looks better lol

Vanya

I never liked the character sprites in this game so any improvements are welcome.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

haha she looks so much better with cotton candy pink hair instead of old maid purple. she looks good with blue hair too but there are plenty of characters with that already.

3lric

Quote from: Zozma on December 24, 2011, 03:28:54 pm
haha she looks so much better with cotton candy pink hair instead of old maid purple. she looks good with blue hair too but there are plenty of characters with that already.

agreed, this looks infinity better

Zozma

ok so i updated mei-ling's stats from 70 hp to 95, strength from 3 to 10 and she starts with the gift of Life magic (perfect since she has 10 LP) I didn't give her any more of an hp boost because of the Life Magic.

3lric

Quote from: Zozma on December 24, 2011, 05:22:54 pm
ok so i updated mei-ling's stats from 70 hp to 95, strength from 3 to 10 and she starts with the gift of Life magic (perfect since she has 10 LP) I didn't give her any more of an hp boost because of the Life Magic.

Wow this already sounds like a great improvement, dang now i want to play SaGa Froniter again haha

Zozma

i was suprised the first time i ever got her in an original game. 10 life points is definately above average for humans. now this probably makes Mesarthym a little less useful, but she has Maelstrom and Ice smash in addition to Life Rain. ill probably raise her stats slightly as well to compensate since mystics have fixed stats except for charm and hers are the lowest of the mystics.

3lric

OKay thats it, im pulling out my playstation. Lol i honestly Love playing as Lute since he seems to be able to aquire just about everyone (besides that robots) Red and Blue were also awesome.
I remember having a bad experience playing as the Mystic, yet i can't seem to recall what it was. Maybe a corrupt save file or something. \
Riki was another character i really liked lol

Zozma

bad experience as Asellus? hehe she has the most potential of any character in that game even though she isn't the fastest learner. and im suprised of all main characters that they didnt get lute's story done. the saga series always have a thing for the bard being involved it a large part of the overall story.

3lric

Quote from: Zozma on December 24, 2011, 07:48:00 pm
bad experience as Asellus? hehe she has the most potential of any character in that game even though she isn't the fastest learner. and im suprised of all main characters that they didnt get lute's story done. the saga series always have a thing for the bard being involved it a large part of the overall story.

Yea she was a great character but i only beat her story once or twice were as others i beat 7 or 8 times. and one of the reasons was it was due to a corrupt save, other then that i think it was just that she was always one of the last people i picked to play as when i went to beat all the characters, why this is? i do not know lol

And yea Lutes story was more than Lacking but his brother was awesome (since i loved the monster characters) and for some reason i always had a very easy time getting Lute the DSC before anyone else (besides maybe Gen)

Zozma

the first time I played as Asellus i NEVER gained any of her mystic skills and had no clue that you actually get them either. It wasnt untill i played Red's scenario where u get her temporarily that I realized she had that Mystical change ability. It's actually better than Red's Alkaiser change once she gets higher levels because she can do it with everyone conscious.

Fenrir90

I remembered playing this game a long time ago, I remembered that I played as Red (It sucked that you couldn't transform in front of humans, but it made sense too - secret identity and all). I don't remember very much of the game or even if I ever finished it, all I remember is bits and pieces of the game. Anyways, I'm looking forward to your mod of SaGa Frontier and once that mod of yours is completed. I'll pick it up again and play through it, till the end.

3lric

December 27, 2011, 08:18:02 pm #14 Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:24:01 pm by Elric42
Quote from: Zozma on December 24, 2011, 07:56:28 pm
the first time I played as Asellus i NEVER gained any of her mystic skills and had no clue that you actually get them either. It wasnt untill i played Red's scenario where u get her temporarily that I realized she had that Mystical change ability. It's actually better than Red's Alkaiser change once she gets higher levels because she can do it with everyone conscious.

I think this may have been why i didnt enjoy playing as her quite as much as  should have, I literally played the game back in 98 when it first game out when i first played as her so i was like 12 and more interested in getting everyone elses punch, sword and gun moves :P

That and getting the secret chars, like the Phoenix, (i dunno if Cotton was a secret) as well as deciding between taking the skeleton or his sword

Zozma

I first thought mystics were crappy because they couldnt learn arts, and i didnt notice that absorbed monsters granted stat bonus. being able to gain a +99 in several stats and then have skills like "tiger rampage" great stuff

3lric

Quote from: Zozma on December 27, 2011, 11:09:47 pm
I first thought mystics were crappy because they couldnt learn arts, and i didnt notice that absorbed monsters granted stat bonus. being able to gain a +99 in several stats and then have skills like "tiger rampage" great stuff

Yea i knew absolutely nothing about how they worked for at least my first few playthrus, but by then i already had my preferred characters lol

Zozma

but if you gameshark them into humans, they have extremely high spark rates (like blue and rogue) in skills

3lric

Quote from: Zozma on December 27, 2011, 11:49:18 pm
but if you gameshark them into humans, they have extremely high spark rates (like blue and rogue) in skills

Whoa, i never knew that. You sir, have just given me something new to try lol

Zozma

well i made a set of codes that change all mystics to humans AND remove those crappy mystic mail armor (but keep mesarthims mellow ring and nusakans mysticwear cause those are both nice)