• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

[Fangame] Megaman: Power Up!!

Started by Vanya, December 08, 2011, 12:39:01 pm

Vanya

You guys remember that Megaman 1 remake I was working on last year?
Well, it has a new title. And I'm integrating a pretty slick engine that was released on GM forums.
Trying to finish my rewrite of it by tomorrow so I can release a test demo.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Kaijyuu

• Modding version: PSX

Vanya

yeah. I'm rewriting the engine's code cause honestly it's kinda sloppily written and not easy to read and understand what the hell's going on. Plus I'm optimizing it at the same time.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Vanya

@Kaijyuu & Dome: Thanks! :3

Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on December 08, 2011, 05:59:06 pm
Ah, it's a remake/clone.  I thought it was a rom hack.

I tried that. Took too long and not nearly enough space to add all the content from Powered Up.
BTW, fangame =/= rom hack.

Oh, and the roster of playable characters has been updated:
Megaman
Cutman
Elecman
Iceman
Fireman
Bombman
Gutsman
Oilman
Timeman
Rockman
Megagirl
Protoman
Rock
Roll
Blues
Pickelman
Sniper Joe
Crazy Razy
Copy Robot
¯\(°_0)/¯

Celdia

*sees a new thread about Vanya's MM project*

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Vanya

I love getting smiles from the ladies. :P

I'm rewriting the jump code right now. Blasted thing was done with GM's gravity system. A pox on that, I say!!
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

OK. I need you guys to try this thing out.
I need to know how the jump physics feel.
Running is slightly too fast and there's a wierd bug when jumping against floating platforms.
So just let me know how the jumping feels other wise.
Oh! And don't use the gravity arrows.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Twinees

I like the jumping physics, it works smoothly. Falling off platforms seems like it has a stronger gravity pull than jumping does. There is also a little bug where if you shoot megaman's blaster when close to the ground (whilst jumping) the animation is different to what he normally looks like whilst shooting midair. (also did you know that if you press left and right at the same time he runs on spot?).
Otherwise I love where you are going with this Vanya, I look forward to more.

Vanya

Thanks a lot!
I forgot to check on the left & right thing.
Most of the newer GML programmers forget that, and the original author was definitely not experienced.
The shooting animation hasn't been optimized yet.
And as for the falling off ledges thing, I know exactly why that happens. Easy fix.
Thanks again. :)
¯\(°_0)/¯

Celdia

Is there some way to run this without it being so fast I can barely control anything? Or as a lesser but more annoying gripe, a way to run it without it resizing every window on my desktop to its minimum size? o_o
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

ChimpMaster

All aspects of falling down feel way too fast. Megaman has always been a little bit floaty in midair, and it feels like I'm falling faster than a Belmont with concrete shoes. Aside from that, and what Twin pointed out, it feels fine.
Goodbye

Vanya

The jump straight off the ground and back to the floor is pixel perfect to Megaman 2.
Falling off platforms I haven't even tested the NES games for the exact speed yet.
That'll be my next thing, though since you're the third person to mention falling speed.
¯\(°_0)/¯

DaveSW

Which Mega Man game do you want the physics to mimic?  They are all different, except 9 and 10, I believe.
I am awesome.

Vanya

They're not significantly different as far as the jump physics.
Mostly it's only in the animation frames and how many frames of delay there are.
I don't really know about 9 & 10. But as to your question.
I'm doing a frame by frame study of all six of the NES games and making an optimized version for GML.
¯\(°_0)/¯

lirmont

Seems like megaman controls to me, except that the squares in the middle are sticky (which causes unintended side-effects); the border squares on the left don't suffer from this. I was able to stand megaman on the sides of the blocks in both down and up gravity so long as I landed on the side correctly and kept the direction arrow pressed. You can't jump from this position (because you're probably still considered to be falling), but I'm sure I could abuse this to dodge linear attacks.

Vanya

Thanks. Yeah, I have a pretty good idea of what's causing that wierdness with the floating blocks and not the wall blacks. They are the same object if you were wondering.

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far. With your assistance this will definitely be the quintessential Megaman engine for GM.
¯\(°_0)/¯

MasterGrand

Let's be together !!