• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:59:32 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Is lion war 2.0 vanilla difficulty?

Started by twigglypuff, January 07, 2022, 02:53:57 pm

twigglypuff

Couldn't find any info on the difficulty of lion war 2.0

Is it the vanilla experience difficulty wise?

I also heard something about making the game harder via new game plus. Any elaborations on that?

• Modding version: PSX & WotL

Akashachi

The basic experience is vanilla. The post-game Rendezvous are definitelly quite challenging and require certain strategies to be beaten. There is also a feature from the NG+ that slightly affects the difficulty, by adjusting enemy levels, but the impact is minimal to say the least. 

Xaneph

Just wanted to add a comment here about vanilla scaling. I believe that vanilla while easy in most regards, punished excessive grinding. I know that the Valeria mod did a decent job of addressing this but was worlndering if any TLW team was interested in making additional difficulty settings available that touch the vanilla scaling?

bugnomore

Quote from: Akashachi on January 07, 2022, 08:45:01 pmThe basic experience is vanilla. The post-game Rendezvous are definitelly quite challenging and require certain strategies to be beaten. There is also a feature from the NG+ that slightly affects the difficulty, by adjusting enemy levels, but the impact is minimal to say the least. 

I disagree, I've played the patch just a little and the difficulty is definitely not vanilla.

I have played through the first battle (outside church) and I've seen archer use potions which they never did before and the enemy managed to knock down 2 allies which they never did in vanilla, at most I'd lose 1 unit but most of the time no loss at all. In the second battle, your allies have much less jobs unlocked than in vanilla.

I agree they should have mentioned the increased difficulty in the readme, lot of players won't like this especially those who are new to the tactical genre.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nyzer

You are incorrect.

Units are generated with a lot of randomness involved, and there's nothing stopping the units in the Monastery battle from rolling Item equipped as their secondary with Potion learned.

The starting generics also don't generate with any jobs unlocked beyond Squire or Chemist in vanilla. Ever. They're hard set to only have Chemist Level 1, and standard unit generation would also give them Squire Level 1. You're probably used to seeing them have some of the physical and/or magical jobs unlocked when you can first get to the Formation screen because it happens after the Gariland battle, but in TLW, you can see them before. Because of the random nature of their starting JP, they can be at just about anywhere between 100-200 (IIRC) in either their Squire or Chemist jobs, meaning that one battle with six ally units on the field is quite likely to unlock jobs for most of them.

bugnomore

Quote from: Nyzer on October 06, 2023, 09:31:29 pmYou are incorrect.

Units are generated with a lot of randomness involved, and there's nothing stopping the units in the Monastery battle from rolling Item equipped as their secondary with Potion learned.

The starting generics also don't generate with any jobs unlocked beyond Squire or Chemist in vanilla. Ever. They're hard set to only have Chemist Level 1, and standard unit generation would also give them Squire Level 1. You're probably used to seeing them have some of the physical and/or magical jobs unlocked when you can first get to the Formation screen because it happens after the Gariland battle, but in TLW, you can see them before. Because of the random nature of their starting JP, they can be at just about anywhere between 100-200 (IIRC) in either their Squire or Chemist jobs, meaning that one battle with six ally units on the field is quite likely to unlock jobs for most of them.
it's not just about using items, the enemy characters were doing completely different things from usual, and they appeared smarter or at least they had a much wider variety of abilities. In my many vanilla runs through the 1st battle I've never seen archers do anything besides charge, in the hack they were using items, charge and also melee attacks, and they were really harder to defeat. I will perhaps do more runs just in case it was a 1 in a 100 luck, but until then I am skeptical about the difficulty being vanilla.

3lric

Quote from: bugnomore on October 07, 2023, 06:57:38 amit's not just about using items, the enemy characters were doing completely different things from usual, and they appeared smarter or at least they had a much wider variety of abilities. In my many vanilla runs through the 1st battle I've never seen archers do anything besides charge, in the hack they were using items, charge and also melee attacks, and they were really harder to defeat. I will perhaps do more runs just in case it was a 1 in a 100 luck, but until then I am skeptical about the difficulty being vanilla.

That being your one off experience does not change that you are incorrect. No changes have been made to that aspect of the mod.
  • Modding version: PSX