• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

Zozma

a human version of barbariccia is easy if you use the hair from my Deis sprite lol... that thought came to mind for me once or twice already
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Wolfran

I think you have to forget the iconic pose of cactuar and do something like this[attachment=0:2qlt8qdv]Craptuar.PNG[/attachment:2qlt8qdv] :more:  :more:  Monsters and stop doing Ramza's alternate versions.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Jon

Well I was thinking something more like this, a nice and clean version, unpixelated:

Wolfran, that is by far the most bizarre looking cactuar, it can almost pass for something in Mario Bros.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

mav

Less pixelated, but I wouldn't say unpixelated. Regardless, this looks much better. Hah, Wolfran's suggestion is hilarious. So what do you have in mind for critical and dead frames?

Jon

Um, I think first I will do a back pose, the dead frame could be something like a mini cactus I was a thinkin...critical still no idea, if anyone's got ideas please hurl them my way, I just want to make a cactuar, I wasn't really thinking cleary when I jumped into this project ;)

Edit: Critical could be he is missing an "arm". Good idea?

Jon

A happy double post! Check it out, a half decent portrait which is 16 colors (15 if you don't count the white):

I sorta used the "easy method" of creating this portrait in about 2 minutes...

mav

Heheh, I know that method well. Not bad, not bad. You should drop a green shade or two and replace em with yellows to give the needles some more depth. And you're gonna have to desaturate all the greens, but it's a decent start.

Cheetah

You have a good start on a forward facing frame, but for the main frames it still definitely needs to be isometric/side view. For the dead frame it should just be his head sticking out of the ground so that it looks like a little cactus in the earth. Maybe his critical could just be him in the normal position but standing still. The portrait is a nice base, but should really be redone by hand.
Current Projects:

Jon

Okay, I'll try the isometric view with InDesign to get an idea when I 3d rotate it, who knows, might do the hard work for me. Check out the back view for now. Are the greens really that saturated? I didn't notice it, but now that you mentioned it Mav, I see your point.

Edit: This might be too cheap, I know, I know...

Cheetah

Compare what you have to say a couple different sprites from the game and you will see that the palettes just really clash.
Current Projects:

Wolfran

Quote from: "Jon"Well I was thinking something more like this, a nice and clean version, unpixelated:

Wolfran, that is by far the most bizarre looking cactuar, it can almost pass for something in Mario Bros.

It's a Crapptuar XD
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Zozma

you need more pastale color to match the other sprites

Jon

I hear everyone, but which pallettes should I use then? The green dragon, the treant, malboro? All of there colors seem so faded and don't seem to pop like the cactuar that I want, but if it has to, then let it be done, I shall change the colors to a different pallette :(

Zozma

the unused bomb palette? that green one?

mav

I was thinking the unused bomb palette as well, but it's a bit bright as well. I'd consider the Treant.

Jon

How do you make bmps with the other sprite pallettes? Every time I get the first one when I try to bmp them in Shishi. Do I have to open the bmps in GraphicsGale and do something special to get the other color variations? I never saw the green bomb btw, checkin it out now.

Zozma

use zodiac's palette editor and copy/paste the desired palette over the first one

Jon

Definitely these colors, can't find anything I like better:

Jon

Thanks for the tip Zozma, but I don't know where to find the pallettes to begin with xD

Here is the cactuar with the bomb's colors, which doesn't seem to bad and fits nicely in with the FFT colors:

SilvasRuin

Looks to me like the difference between shades might be too drastic.  Also, the back especially has crooked looking lines.  I'm not really sure what you could do to fix that.