• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 09:25:48 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Jon's Sprites

Started by Jon, December 09, 2009, 05:15:18 am

SilvasRuin

You've got a weird... um... deformity with the right side of his face.  There's now a strange dip in his cheek.

I have no idea what you're trying to do with the spikes.  The one on our right now looks quite large compared to the one on our left (and I can't think of any reason to justify that), and while I had thought earlier that one was going to be angled forward on the shoulder and one was to be angled back, it not looks like you really do mean for them to be parallel to each other rather than one on the front of his shoulder and one on the back.  That's... kind of weird.  It indicates that one on our left is pointing TOWARDS his head, which doesn't seem like a good design at all.

The lighting on the shoulder is still awkward.  You've got this pool of light that doesn't make sense to me to begin with, and then you've got the spikes on top of it which should at least cast some shadow on it.  I didn't mean to imply that looking metallic was bad.  Quite the opposite.  It was just a little too shiny compared to the rest of it.  Now it is a little too dull.

I really don't like to give critique this negative, but I prefer the version you had before this.

Jon

I think I need help with that, portraits are my weakness after all. If someone has the time, could you please fix the shoulder and everything SilvasRuin mentioned? Many thanks!

This doesn't have to do with sprites (well in a sense it actually does) but I am near completion on an updated, corrected and quicker to use tutorial of the "Character Creation" in FFT. I rewrote the entire thing and now you can replace Simon with any character you want and Simon takes "Celia (Never Used)" spot in game. In my humble opinion, you won't find a better character/unit creation guide on here! I read all of them and they were all way too sloppy and confusing, mine will be just like the last: a step by step made for dummies kind of guide, connect the dots and you'll have a brand new character in the game in no time, without getting rid of already existing characters. And its quicker! Now many (especially newbs) dreams will come true!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Lijj

September 01, 2010, 06:04:52 am #462 Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:12:19 am by Lijj

Here's something I made directly from the sprite. And the 16 color BMP:
Also the latest Palette Editor of Zodiac's
  • Modding version: PSX

Lijj

Wait:

I think there's just one pixel that needs to be chnged Jon, The one on the same line as the white pixel right where the helmet meets the side of the face or temples.
I'm too tired now it's 3:22 am
  • Modding version: PSX

Jon

Oh my God!!! Thank you so much Lijj, you made me totally happy! This portrait is beyond awesome! You are just like Smash! Awesome awesome! I wanna use this as my avatar too! You get credit in the sprite submission and I'll fix the dark brown pixel first to the skin shade tone I believe. Thanks again!

Edit: I just changed that 1 pixel on the skin and also changed the 2 brown pixels and 2 dark blue pixels under the horn, I hope I did this right, but if there was a reason for those other 4 pixels, I'm sorry I got rid of them! I'll put them back immediately Lijj! But what are they?? The more I look at this the more I get amazed and inspired to become better! Thanks :mrgreen:

Zozma

the colors on the portrait are all kinda dark, is there any way they can each be several more shades different from eachother as far as the black?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

That is true, but when you look at the portrait and then at the sprite itself, you kinda see that there is really only 1 color which is darkness. I actually like how the portrait is right now, but I can play around and change it, if thats okay with Lijj.

Jon

I developed that Link idea a bit further, but I need crits to get the early part right so I do the whole sheet right. This is what I did so far:

Jon

September 03, 2010, 03:13:46 pm #469 Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:47:41 pm by Jon
What about the Cactuar  :cry:

Edit: @Mav: Way back on page 19 I said that in your tutorial you don't need to save palettes, I was almost right- I believe you don't need to save the palette colors of the sprite, only the portrait, unless of course you want to save the sprite palettes for the FFTEVGRP, when you want to insert the "menu" and "menu portraits". Sorry!

Jon

Movement of the Hero Link!

I suppose the hair should move some more, but considering the fact that I didn't really touch Ramza's hair, I should probably leave it. Remember that in the real movement in game the characters sorta bounce up and down when they walk, that might make it seem like the hair is moving... Whatcha all think?

mav

Dark pixels above the white leggings are too dark on every frame. On the forward-facing frame, his hairline or whatever is just too straight; it looks unnatural.
Quote from: "Jon"Edit: @Mav: Way back on page 19 I said that in your tutorial you don't need to save palettes, I was almost right- I believe you don't need to save the palette colors of the sprite, only the portrait, unless of course you want to save the sprite palettes for the FFTEVGRP, when you want to insert the "menu" and "menu portraits". Sorry!
Alright then. No need to apologize.

VampragonLord

the hat on the side view is just odd.... like there is something coming out of his hat or something, and the side-front view the hat looks like its off to the side/not attached. also need to fix the shadowing on the torso. looks pillowed
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Tigerspike

I think he needs a belt and short sleeves.  I don't recall Link ever having long sleeves.  Other than that, it looks great!
Oh come now. That doesn't even make sense. How can flimsy paper possibly beat the raw density of stone?

SilvasRuin

As I said in the other Link thread, I recommend using this Link as a reference as it is the most detailed and awesome version I've seen yet.  Note they actually show some chainmail:
http://www.sitsam.com/wordpress/wp-cont ... -Sword.jpg

Jon

The arms are the major problem. The other stuff is simple enough to fix. Mav what color should I change the dark pixels above the white legs to? The second lightest green? Vamp, what do you mean about the side view hat? Where is there something coming out of it?? It sounds like he is hiding a pet cat or something in his hat, what do you mean though? Also I agree with the front side view, I gotta fix that up a bit. There is one thing I have to disagree with however, Vamp you said his shirt looks pillow shaded, and that may be, but thats how the original chapter 1 Ramza looks. I think I will leave the shirt as is. I didn't really touch ch.1 Ramza's hair, thats why it looks funky in the front view, I'll try to change that around a bit to look more Link like. Thanks for your crits everyone!

(Any tips on which arms I should use? Maybe the male or female Thief? Perhaps I should use a different base, like the Thief...? I wouldn't mind starting all over, I wanna get this right!)

Edit: I am gonna use the Wind Waker Link as a base, my fav Zelda game, takes ages to complete  :mrgreen: :

Kagebunji

That Dark Knight, he is too simple, try adding some details to him, right now it is plain simple color and head swap. I don't think cape will work(one: it would look very similiar to Pieke, two: it doesn't fit him). Try changing armor or legs, armor shoud be enough, but be creative.

Also, I agree with Mav on Link
QuoteDark pixels above the white leggings are too dark on every frame. On the forward-facing frame, his hairline or whatever is just too straight; it looks unnatural
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Jon

What color should I change those dark pixels to though? That I do not know, so gimme some advice please. Also, SilvasRuin's Link from the new Wii game called Skyward Sword, I believe, would also make a cool Link with the chain mail showing somehow. This is FFT after all, I could make my own version of Link, like him wearing a bit of armor or something, I don't think it would look too bad. Not a super amount of armor mind you, just "lightly" armored like say ch.4 Ramza or Agrias or something. If Link looks armored like a Shrine Knight or ch.2-3 Ramza or Orlandu, he won't be Link anymore >_> I gotta think of something...heroic...

VampragonLord

i circled in red what i mean. The hat just isnt one smooth hat, which it is supposed to be. in the front and back view the hat is centered, but on the side views you have it hanging out to the side way too much, and it seems disembodied from the base of the hat
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Jon

Oh, the hat should be hanging straight down, okay no problem. I only made it like this because Ramza's ponytail goes against gravity and hangs like the hat above. If you don't believe me, just look at the sprite. His ponytail has Float casted on it!! Also, scratch this Link from your memories, I am going to use a different base. Yes, this is going to sound weird, but a better base actually is the male Squire; imagine the Squire without the shoulder pads, chest armor and knee armor. Also imagine his hood is like the one above. (Well fixed so its hanging down). I would have to change his hair color to Ramza's, but actually the hair how it is right now looks a bit like Links. The boots the Squire is wearing match the ones like the older post's, so I think it'll be a solid base. I would have to replace the arms (all of them) with arms from something like the male Thief or anothers, because the Link I want to make will have short sleeves. I will post something asap people, but thanks again for all your crits! They really help me to strive to be better and make less mistakes  :mrgreen: