• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:30 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT: A Stone's Ripple *DEMO RELEASED*

Started by Jumza, March 17, 2015, 11:30:53 pm

gatebuster202

Awesome work Jumza, I'd love to see your Shield Bash! (I'm scratching my head, trying to figure out if a whole shield wielding skillset is viable.)
  • Modding version: PSX
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Jumza

Messing around with this stuff is so much fun :P

This formation is real though, but it's only for a random battle.

I'm still working away at this thing, though it's taking a long time. A few more things need to be done, I really hope they don't take much longer! It's mostly FFTPatcher / TacText work at this point. Stay tuned folks.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Jumza

November 01, 2015, 11:57:51 pm #42 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:23:12 pm by Jumza
I have a (spooky?) post-Halloween update!

And here it is! Please enjoy
FFT: A Stone's Ripple v0.05 Beta Edition!
It is a really rough beta, but I've put a lot of work into it and I hope everyone enjoys it!

In the main character's skillset there is an ability labeled Debug! which will kill everything if you'd just like to move on and can't seem to win (it hasn't been balanced yet! But I don't think it's that challenging).

My thanks remain the same from the main post (which has the download link), but extra thanks to Elric and Eternal for helping me test and giving me feedback and ideas.
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10857.msg205169#msg205169

The Demo:
Contains 20 events, spread between just events and pre / mid / post battle events.
The jobs Freelancer, Apothecary, Fencer, Priest and Wizard. (For generics)
The jobs Vagrant and Surveyor. (For unique characters)
New items! Featuring such items as Bronze Sword, Feathered Cap and Basic Harp!
2 Possible random battles! ( :P)
A mini-boss battle!

Please post any bugs you find, if you enjoyed it or not, your thoughts and whatever else you feel you have to say while / after playing!
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

CagedShadow

As I await the "Re-release" and the "Chapter 2" of JotF. I will give this a go! Mostly because, I've just started to come back to the idea of playing modded FFT. I want to try something fairly original, and this seem very interesting! :D Also finally remember my account... yay! Even though it didn't matter, I just wanted a name so I can post/reply my opinion on the patches I try!
Hello, my name is Adam but you could just call me CagedShadow... or whatever you like. lol.

Jumza

Awesome :) Have fun with it!

I've upgraded to v0.06, there were some text errors that I've fixed but I'm sure there are a bunch more. The Chocobo Down Item can be bought instead of the Brain Boggler, also.

KingUrameshi

So I finally got to play this mod and all in all it seems very enjoyable and I look forward to seeing the rest of it. I have played up to the first battle of Lionel castle and I do not use the debug command and here is what I notice so far.

The Good:
The stones are used in unique way to tell a story.
The map has been modified.
Everything seems to be modded from job classes to equipment to enemies.
Everything has a new description.
Skills and jobs are new and useful.

The Bad:
The game is still very buggy (which is to be expected).
I notice the enemy uses treat on itself but I am not allowed.
The AI needs improvement. Archers will plan a charge move just to move and cancel it.
Black Mage causes the game to bug out when going through its skill list.

I like that the game is not to hard (which I am getting a bit sick of, Jot5 being a difficult is enough for me) and I like some of the story aspects like how a certain archer does not join when you would expect them to because that almost always happens in these games. And like how a certain someone does not get killed right away; these aspects keep the story unpredictable which makes it fun and interesting. I would suggest playing through the first chapter of the mod Call of Power for story ideas as I feel that could help.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to this mod being completed as I play through the rest of the demo.  :more:
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Jumza

November 16, 2015, 11:52:58 am #46 Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:05:35 pm by Jumza
Quote from: KingUrameshi on November 16, 2015, 07:32:29 am
So I finally got to play this mod and all in all it seems very enjoyable and I look forward to seeing the rest of it. I have played up to the first battle of Lionel castle and I do not use the debug command and here is what I notice so far.

The Good:
The stones are used in unique way to tell a story.
The map has been modified.
Everything seems to be modded from job classes to equipment to enemies.
Everything has a new description.
Skills and jobs are new and useful.

:)

Quote from: KingUrameshi on November 16, 2015, 07:32:29 am
The Bad:
The game is still very buggy (which is to be expected).
I notice the enemy uses treat on itself but I am not allowed.
The AI needs improvement. Archers will plan a charge move just to move and cancel it.
Black Mage causes the game to bug out when going through its skill list.

Yeah there are a few things that still need to be worked out (in regards to game buggy-ness) if there's anything else you noticed that you didn't write here, please let me know!
Allow me to address the things you mentioned specifically:

Treat can be used on yourself, but someone mentioned to me as they were playing that the description wasn't very clear in stating that it can only be used on characters in critical status (this will be changed in v0.08, the description that is, not the ability)

I might just end up removing CT's from marksman skills (and similar weapon based skills) because of that. Unless I can find a way to fix it :P

Some of the descriptions on the Black Mage skills are too long, and when the game tries to open them up it makes it so you can't open any descriptions of anything until you reset the game (as far as I know). (this will be changed in v0.08)

I agree that the game isn't too hard, and it will probably stay that way forever! I'm going for a difficulty that makes it challenging for me and because I'm not the best player in the world that difficulty isn't really all that difficult for a lot of people. Though you can expect it to be a bit harder than it currently is when chapter one is fully released (if I can get better at balancing, that is).

I'm glad you enjoyed some of the little quirks in the story like that. There'll be more where that came from for sure.

Thanks for playing! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Davi o Rei

KingUrameshi

Finished the demo and the only other thing I noticed is when you face Hartell in the beginning it says defeat Algus. I haven't played any random fights (and I will have to start a new game for that) but I will let you know if I notice anything else.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Jumza

Quote from: KingUrameshi on November 19, 2015, 08:18:43 pm
Finished the demo and the only other thing I noticed is when you face Hartell in the beginning it says defeat Algus.

There are some guides I've tried to follow to make my own graphics for this but I keep running into problems :P I may have to call in some help on that one.

And thanks for playing guys!

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Guru

January 02, 2016, 10:00:59 pm #51 Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:09:41 pm by Guru
Played the demo and it looks great so far! I like the story so far too, can't wait to see what ya do with it!
Alot of people said it was very easy too but ....It was actually kinda challenging, but fair. Enemies were actually well balanced for the beginning of game and actually kept each other alive. It wasn't actually tough fights or anything but If I didn't manage my team I woulda had trouble. So idk I think the AI did alright they weren't killing me but they did keep standing for quite a while. Which is good though its how it should be. But I'm sure once the game progresses it will be a bit different. I do like it challenging though  :P

Only couple small things I noticed

during hartel battle is says defeat aglus.

And that archer, man she is a badass  :P she even survived a round of attacks. I was kinda sad she didn't join the team though 
:cry:

Oh and I didn't unlock many skills or anything but I noticed the poison arrow has a horrible hit rate. Makes me not want to use it so much =/

*edit* nvm about the treatment thing  :P

and screen shot. Not sure if its intentional or not but....I like it lol looks sweet.

Jumza

Quote from: Guru on January 02, 2016, 10:00:59 pm
Played the demo and it looks great so far! I like the story so far too, can't wait to see what ya do with it!
Alot of people said it was very easy too but ....It was actually kinda challenging, but fair. Enemies were actually well balanced for the beginning of game and actually kept each other alive. It wasn't actually tough fights or anything but If I didn't manage my team I woulda had trouble. So idk I think the AI did alright they weren't killing me but they did keep standing for quite a while. Which is good though its how it should be. But I'm sure once the game progresses it will be a bit different. I do like it challenging though  :P

Thanks for playing! It will definitely be more challenging once I get to some real balancing, right now a lot of the stats are based off of Vanilla. The Freelancer's skillset is great at keeping people alive, especially early game, that'll be less and less as the game progresses, but lots of other classes will have great utility skills like that one as well :)

Quote from: Guru on January 02, 2016, 10:00:59 pm
Only couple small things I noticed

during hartel battle is says defeat aglus.

And that archer, man she is a badass  :P she even survived a round of attacks. I was kinda sad she didn't join the team though 
:cry:

Oh and I didn't unlock many skills or anything but I noticed the poison arrow has a horrible hit rate. Makes me not want to use it so much =/

Defeat Algus will be changed to Defeat Hartell when I make a bigger release!

Everyone likes the Archer, which is great! Lot's of cool characters will appear, whether they be special characters that join (or not) or generic characters that are just bad ass without joining up (or maybe they will!) :P

Yeah I need to balance the skills. Something that just adds poison should probably be at a higher hit rate, though you may have used it on someone with worst compat which reduces the chance of it to hit by a -ton-.

Thanks for reporting that bug! It'll be fixed for sure. It's what happens when you make a line of text short enough that it fits on the screen, but so long that it tears the box into smaller pieces :P

Man I should make an update soon... Maybe expect an event to show up here soon? I don't know :P

3lric

Quote from: Jumza on January 03, 2016, 12:00:14 am
Man I should make an update soon... Maybe expect an event to show up here soon? I don't know :P

Guru

No rush keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to see your progress and looking forward to JOT5 as well! Do you need any further testing on the skills or anything else?

Jumza

So! Back on track! A lull in my schoolwork has allowed me to continue work on this. I've mostly been working on adding more items in for the full chapter 1 release, but I've also completed a few events. I would show one, but they are mostly talking events to advance the story (kind of boring to see out of context), but here is a fun little screenshot anyway!

Woo! Successful map editing as well! It's not a cemetery anymore, now it's.... Well I mean that is a dead guy in the corner, actually.

Anyway, expect more updates soon! Once I have some more interesting events done to show, I will!

Guru

Noooo not sir knight guy, we will always remember you  :cry:

Sorry I have also been pretty swamped with school work. This semester is a mess, full of happiness essays, blogs and discussions. On top of all the garbage I have a couple tougher classes too.

So I haven't had a chance to post anything on this, but I'm glad to see your still working on it when you can and I'm still looking forward to seeing more!

I can't quite recall what map that is from, but regardless it looks good I can't even tell its edited.

Keep up the good work man! Don't forget if you need any addition testing hit me up.
:more:  :more:

Jumza

The map was originally the Cemetery under Limberry Castle. I removed the coffins and headstones and it looks great from what I've seen, so I'm quite happy :)

Ooh, also! New Feature, New Feature, New Feature! Thanks to Choto the amazing and wonderful fulfill-er of requests (thanks dude!) has allowed me to add the Counter ability to the Defend status! So now characters that are Defending are now able to activate the Counter ability when attacked even if they don't have it equipped! It makes the status itself a lot more useful, which I really wanted to do!

Also yeah! More is coming! Even more characters are introduced as the story continues to unfold. I'm also working away on sidequests that will appear in chapter 1, they should all be interesting, if not entertaining. Some will yield cool bonus items, characters or just reveal more about the story.

CONMAN

Lots of great work in here Jumza!  That counter-defend combo is huge!  Also, I think my jaw drops a little when I see map edits! For me, it's liking seeing a huge roller coaster, it's both impressive and scary!  Keep up the good work!

LastingDawn

Well having played through this demo I was thoroughly impressed! Your sense of dynamic events present scenes filled with excitement, in that respect you go above and beyond expectations. I'll break down my thoughts into Characters, Plot, and Battle System.

Characters:

Main Character: I like that the player has the choice of how they develop the main character through a fantastic use of branching options that have immediate effects. I look forward to seeing this in further display down the line.

Adria: Through her AI/Skillset/Personality you can tell she is one saucy gal, ordinarily choosing to rush in with her Staff instead of using restraint. This is shown in her more unrestrained attitude. I'm rather fond of how you've made that character and reflected both aspects on and off the battlefield.

Main Character's Grandfather: Despite his short screen time you gave him a memorable speech tick and immediate likability. I hope that he appears later on in the story.

Hartell: All we know about him is that he's gathering the Holy Stones and hoped to usurp the ?Diocese? at Lionel.

Plot: This plot has started out with a lot of potential. I love the idea of the Holy Stones being a relic keeping monsters at bay and that the church having rounds of Surveyors to check on them periodically to assure that they are safe. It is also neat to see the divide between the Common class and the Nobles is as pronounced as ever and your scenes... I don't want to get into any spoilers, but you really caught me off guard there!

Battle System: The Battle System on hand is clearly in a state of transition. Some parts are rough such as the lack of Armor, making the Fencer class a little unusable at all in the demo and some of the skills having odd AI or lack of use. (Not the Freelancer's set though, that thing is mighty impressive!) The battles themselves are challenging, but fair. I feel that maybe the third battle has a little too much sandbagging, but that's difficult to avoid when there's not much else to fight at the time. The fight at Lionel was great, it was interesting to swoop into that side of the gate to close the enemy in and finally the boss fight was tense, as you had mentioned likely owing to the lack of armor, that fight is rather difficult. It took a couple of tries but I finally got it.

All in all this mod is extremely promising and I will keep tabs on its progress! Keep up the great work!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!