• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:19:06 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[Solved] Weapon affect range

Started by Roon, March 19, 2021, 04:55:55 am

Roon

March 19, 2021, 04:55:55 am Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:57:47 pm by Roon
 Hello everyone! I'm quite noob at FFT modding but the more time i spend doing it the more exciting it becomes, but, ofcourse, the more issues i get on my way.

To the point. I wonder if someone has got a clue about possibility to change weapon's melee striking range (Act -> Attack) affect area on certain weapons (e.g. Muramasa) to two tiles AOE so it could damage both allies and enemies in a range row. I've tried to change "Range" parameter on it in "Item" tab via FFTPatcher, but, as i expected, ingame is possible only to select one tile in whole two tiles range (like spears do). It is almost what i really need, but not quite.  :)  Thank you.

P.S. I hope i've explained my question correctly :D I'm sorry for my English, guys.

• Modding version: PSX
Summon all ghosts of the sword!
  • Discord username: Roon

Ansehelm

AFAIK there isn't currently a way to do this, since no weapon in the base game hits more than one unit at a time, and I'm not aware of any mods or ASMs that change this.  If I recall, even the range of most melee weapons is hardcoded, such that if you want a sword to have 2 range, you have to build it on the slot of a spear or pole.

Roon

Quote from: Ansehelm on March 20, 2021, 08:42:46 pmAFAIK there isn't currently a way to do this, since no weapon in the base game hits more than one unit at a time, and I'm not aware of any mods or ASMs that change this.  If I recall, even the range of most melee weapons is hardcoded, such that if you want a sword to have 2 range, you have to build it on the slot of a spear or pole.
Ohh, feels bad man. Well, thank you for your answer anyway.
Summon all ghosts of the sword!
  • Discord username: Roon

nitwit

March 23, 2021, 04:06:22 am #3 Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:27:22 pm by nitwit
Unless someone has positively verified such a thing and posted it, I wouldn't take it for fact.

I made a Gameshark code (using the Gameshark tab in FFTPatcher) that changes Dagger to 2 range and lunging type, and Broadsword to 5 range, arcing type.

80063AC0 4A02
80063B50 1E05

I tested it on pSXfin by editing memory addresses directly, though it took me a minute to remember the correct byte order.

It works fine, exactly as intended.

Yes, you can change weapon ranges. You should test it before you take anyone's word for it. I vaguely remember there being some hardcoding, and it being tied to attack type: striking, lunging, direct, or arcing.

Striking: everything not listed below - maybe hardcoded to 1 range.
Lunging: spears, sticks, and cloths - unknown if there's any hardcoding of range to exactly 2 tiles, try 1 and 3+ ranges.
Direct: crossbows, guns, harps, books - hardcoded so you can't attack less than 3 tiles from you. You can change the max range to be greater than 3 range IIRC.
Arcing: bows - same as direct hardcoding. I'm not sure if the range-to-height ratio bonus/penalty hardcoding is just for arcing or both arcing and direct, and if it's only a bonus.

There may be other hardcoded things that are too subtle for me to notice, like animation or sound effects.

If you're beyond 1 tile it looks like you're pointing/swinging a sword at someone and then they react to being hit, as if the characters were elementary school kids with much more solid rules of what constitutes a real hit than is normal for that demographic. Then again, my second test strike didn't hit, so maybe the "nuh-huh, you didn't really hit me" rule is in effect. Changing this requires editing weapon strike graphics, or what graphics each weapon references in FFTPatcher.

Anyways, range being tied to attack type seems obvious to me given that all the weapons with varying attack ranges have different attack types.