• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:55:58 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

What is the right patch for me?

Started by synnchan, February 28, 2013, 11:21:54 am

synnchan

Hello guys... I'm new here, and I didn't keep track of the community's works at all, so... I'm quite lost on what's going on. Anyway, I want to play FFT again, but not the vanilla version, though. I'd like to apply a patch that would improve things and make it overall a better game.

So, while browsing around I found three patches I found to be interesting, but I still don't know much about them:

Fantasy Tactics v1.3
Final Fantasy Tactics v1.3 - Easy Type
Final Fantasy Tactics Complete V.20

So, according to what I read... the first patch changes the game's difficulty, but it doesn't add FFTC's dialogue. The second one is just like the former, but it makes things a bit easier, while still being harder than vanilla. The third patch changes the game's dialogue entirely, but keeps the same difficulty of vanilla version. (At least I think it's that, so, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Since I've read that the first patch's difficulty is really quite tough, I think I'd feel more comfortable playing the easy version. However, I also want FFTC v20's dialogue included. So... I was wondering if I could get the easy version, and then apply the .ppf file on it afterwards to change the dialogue as well?

Please, I'd like some help.

Jumza

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3952.0
This brings you too the download page for easytype, click on the download link, and then on the new page download the file that says "ez_complete" on it.
1.3 easy type mixed with FFT: Complete!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

synnchan

Thank you! That's what I was looking for. I have one question, tho.

FFT Complete stopped at beta 0.50, isn't it...? So, does that mean there are some parts of the game that were left untranslated, or is the whole game translated to PSP style already...?

Jumza

February 28, 2013, 07:29:44 pm #3 Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:34:50 pm by Jumza
I'm 99% sure that all the text in game is now from the PSP version, I'm not completely sure that all the lore (character bios, records etc) are in the new style, and I know that the book treasures are not translated. I'll get back to you in a minute though.

EDIT: Ok, so everything is apparently complete (you can always read the changelog yourself though, it's on the same page as the version number), however the books are not translated but are unlocked.
Also it appears as though you may experience some graphical glitches with the text (not many) so if you see any just ignore them. I've never actually played FFT: C before though.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

synnchan

Well... since you're telling me to ignore them, then I'm assuming those minor glitches won't prejudice my understanding of the story at all. Nor make me miss anything substantial or important neither. As long as the glitches are trivial, I suppose I can go through the game without problems, and get everything the story has to offer me cleary.

Jumza

I think they'll look something like this, don't worry about it. Many people have played and enjoyed FFT: C :D I hope you do too!

synnchan

Mmm... I won't deny it's completely out of place and made the sentence look a bit funny. but I think that japanese character is supposed to be a comma, right?

Because it looks it's trying to say "The enemy stands before us, attack!"

Well... if it's just stuff like that, then I suppose I should be good to go. Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm quite sure I'll enjoy it!  :D

3lric

For some reason, many hyphens and commas did this in complete. Fortunately it's a fairly easy fix if you learn how to edit event text.

I can try to release a quick fix for this in a couple weeks, once I'm done with what I'm working on, it's likely that the PSP version uses
certain commands for commas that the PSX version does not. Such as how PSX makes hyphens with {D11D} rather then a - . But
I will have to look at the event text to be sure of that.

synnchan

Oooh, thank you for that! I'll be relying on you, and since it won't take that long according to your words, then I suppose I can wait for this quick fix before I actually start playing the hack for even better overall experience. Good luck on it! :D

Eternal

If 1.3 Easytype doesn't do it for you, there's a version of Laggy Fantasy Tactics, a similar rebalance, which also includes the WotL translation. You can find that here.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

proficiator

I'm in a similar situation as synnchan. I'm a little wary of 1.3's difficulty, but I definitely want something more challenging and better balanced than the original. Having the new translation seems like a plus.

I have also noticed that there is FFT+ on this board.

It seems the difficulty levels of the various popular mods are as follows

1.3 > 1.3 EasyType > LFT > Vanilla

Where does FFT+ fall on this list? Or, for that matter, Rebirth and FFT Kind Of? It's all hard to keep up with.

Finally, if we want the WotL translation, our choices are 1.3 EasyType and LFT only?

Dome

I haven't played all the patches you mentioned, so it's hard to put plus in a list
I'll just say that the aim of the patch (FFT: Plus) is to make FFT Balanced, in every possible way
Quote from: proficiator on March 05, 2013, 02:23:08 pm
Finally, if we want the WotL translation, our choices are 1.3 EasyType and LFT only?

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9443.0

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

synnchan

Also, is there a way to use WotL translation on FFT: Parted ways ...?

Eternal

To answer your question, there is no way to use the WotL translation with PW.

As far as the rebalance patches go, it generally goes like this in terms of difficulty:

1.3 > EGCC > 1.3 Easytype > FFT+ > LFT > KO > Vanilla
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dokurider

Actually, EGCC is harder than 1.3 ever was. EGCC is designed to be just barely winnable, if at all, while 1.3 is definitely winnable.

synnchan

March 08, 2013, 08:04:54 pm #15 Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:18:02 pm by synnchan
Okay, I was supposed to be asking this on Parted Ways' bug report thread, but I'm not doing it because it'd be a triple posting (given that no one replied to my double post there yet), and since it seems like I'm getting more feedback on this thread, so...

While playing Parted Ways, not only I saw a lot of sprites glitches, but also on the second battle (in Magick City of Gariland), the whole enemy's party started the battle with "poisoned" status. Is that really how it's supposed to be or is it a bug...? I'm asking that because I honestly have no idea. And I'm using version 361.

And I have another thing as well. I was looking for hacks with the WotL translation before, but after seeing it myself... well, I must say I had a terrible experience. Mostly because english is only my second language (the first being portuguese) and since everything is written on a sort of "ancient shakespearean english" to match the game's medieval atmosphere, I could not get half of what they were saying. Seriously, everything looked way too confusing for me. So, taking back what I said, now I'm going to sticky with the "goofy" original translation, because despite how goofy it is, at least it feels much more smooth and comfortable for me, and I can actually get what's going on. So... I'd be glad if you guys could point me to the download of PW with the original translation.

(I'm sorry for leaving my posts slightly unorganized here)

kentyugo

Quote from: Jumza on February 28, 2013, 05:00:40 pmhttp://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3952.0
This brings you too the download page for easytype, click on the download link, and then on the new page download the file that says "ez_complete" on it.
1.3 easy type mixed with FFT: Complete!

Hi sir , i clicked into the link but it says off limits , where can i download the ROM for 1.3 easy type with the 2.0 completed update?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Bonesy

Quote from: kentyugo on February 22, 2021, 04:47:48 amHi sir , i clicked into the link but it says off limits , where can i download the ROM for 1.3 easy type with the 2.0 completed update?

please stop
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

fedecares

Hi, the ez_complete link is not functioning anymore  :(
I want to try that version