• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:00:41 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Grindless Balance Patch

Started by Manifest, March 21, 2021, 11:01:43 pm

Manifest

I was thinking it'd be a neat and conceptually easy (it may actually be difficult to edit in practice) re-balance mod where players only get XP and JP at the end of story battles (similarly to how gear is locked by story battles), or is there already something that exists like that? I don't want something that simply increases JP gain as I'd rather not grind, but also might not like to have all the tools at first. I think someone who has more experience with the game would be the best person to make this, or maybe already has? A few issues I foresee might be:

1. Is this even something that is hackable?

2. Exactly how much JP should be granted? How much to each job? Would you be able to choose which job gets which JP?

3. How would you advance to new jobs? Would they automatically unlock at certain points? Would you need to give certain classes less JP just to avoid unlocking powerful jobs too early?

4. What would be done about random encounters? Crystals? What are they even for? (Maybe they'd only be for gear/poaching.)

I'm just getting into WOTL, and, while it's great, I'm always left wondering about what the "intended" level of difficulty is supposed to be. For example, most Final Fantasy games I've played will mostly be playable without any extra grinding, and I'm pretty sure that's the case in FFT as well. The only issue being, that in most Final Fantasy games you can't level incorrectly. As in, a player could feasibly spend too much of their time putting in excessive Job Points into a useless job (Knight) and as such technically be "weaker" than another player who followed the job paths better. Should I be expected to have all the skills in all jobs? Just certain beginner jobs? Only certain skills? It kind makes it hard to think about tactics when you're technically not even sure how many or how few tools you have!

As such, it feels a little unclean to be having trouble with a fight and then have someone advise you "well just use X class". I've seen a few related posts about wanting to reduce the grind: https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11868.msg222163#msg222163
but I was thinking this could be relatively simple and cleaner to do if anyone ever had any interest or has done it before?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

nitwit

I think there's an ASM hack somewhere that negates in-battle JP/EXP changes, and grants a certain amount after each battle. I can't remember where it is though, you'll have to look around for it.

Orkney

Hi,

It's in Emmy hacks. I just checked, it's in the patcher suit (but not in emmy's thread)
  • Modding version: PSX

Manifest

Quote from: nitwit on March 23, 2021, 04:11:59 amI think there's an ASM hack somewhere that negates in-battle JP/EXP changes, and grants a certain amount after each battle. I can't remember where it is though, you'll have to look around for it.
Quote from: Orkney on March 24, 2021, 04:49:35 pmHi,

It's in Emmy hacks. I just checked, it's in the patcher suit (but not in emmy's thread)

Thanks, that's great. I'll look around for it. I realize I made a mistake and should've posted this in the suggestions thread and not made a new topic. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown